DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone shots everywhere...

Duckhunter50

Reactions
Ever since I purchased and started flying my drone I have noticed how frequently drones are used in commercials and a variety of tv shows. Its driving my family nuts how often I remark that it's a drone shot.
I guess its like seeing the car you just bought everwhere afterwards.

I am the same way. Was watching a news clip ABC of some new wall they found in China. You could see the shadow of the drone (in front of drone) as it went over the subject. You spot them everywhere now. To think this used to cost thousands a shot with a helicopter. I am near lake Santeetlah and there is a boat company down there (expensive boat can't remember name) every year with a new commercial but they are still using a helicopter.

Reactions: Dbez1
Wife look at this "roll eyes"... get used to it lol

Wife look at this "roll eyes"... get used to it lol
Yup.... For my birthday wife gave me a tee shirt - "Warning: May Start Talking About Drones"

But to the OP's point..... now I can't turn on a movie or TV show without remarking on the endless drone shots..... most of which are pretty basic two second flyovers and landscape reveals.

Ever since I purchased and started flying my drone I have noticed how frequently drones are used in commercials and a variety of tv shows. Its driving my family nuts how often I remark that it's a drone shot.
This post has touched on a huge complaint I have been voicing for several years since I have owned a drone. I am a big African wildlife afficionado. I have been to African many (12) times and have an up-coming safari to Tanzania and Kenya in September. I am constantly told by travel agents, tour planners, lodge owners, and others that drones scare the animals, and are not allowed due to poaching. I fully understand all of this. Yet, I can submit to this forum, a ton of promotional clips with drone footage of elephants from above, lions from above, and herds of wildebeests, etc.

These films are used for promotional tourism by the safari agents, etc. I only want to bring my drone to do overhead views of the lodges and get a different aspect/view, not to chase animals and scare them. This is hippocrasy at its worst.

Here is a typical video(4 min). I get these on a weekly basis from this company. There is numerous drone footage, done effectively with no danger to wildlife. In this attached video, there are at least 3 drone shots at the beginning, and a very nice one at 3:25.

How many of you out there agree with the sensible use of drones and how many agree with the prohibition for responsible drone videos?

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
This post has touched on a huge complaint I have been voicing for several years since I have owned a drone. I am a big African wildlife afficionado. I have been to African many (12) times and have an up-coming safari to Tanzania and Kenya in September. I am constantly told by travel agents, tour planners, lodge owners, and others that drones scare the animals, and are not allowed due to poaching. I fully understand all of this. Yet, I can submit to this forum, a ton of promotional clips with drone footage of elephants from above, lions from above, and herds of wildebeests, etc.

These films are used for promotional tourism by the safari agents, etc. I only want to bring my drone to do overhead views of the lodges and get a different aspect/view, not to chase animals and scare them. This is hippocrasy at its worst.

Here is a typical video(4 min). I get these on a weekly basis from this company. There is numerous drone footage, done effectively with no danger to wildlife. In this attached video, there are at least 3 drone shots at the beginning, and a very nice one at 3:25.

How many of you out there agree with the sensible use of drones and how many agree with the prohibition for responsible drone videos?
I would just go with the rule of the land and country and bring the drone if legal under local laws. If its legal then find a tour company or lodge that is more accepting.... even if it takes a few more calls. There is nothing wrong with responsible use of drones, we just all need to work had to make the drone community look good by educating others and setting good examples.

Reactions: Gagey52
I think I'm with the rest here.
In watching TV properties for sale where they use a drone.
Telling the wife..."look there's another drone shot".
LOL

It's kinda like when you buy a car that you think the color is unique but once you buy it, you see the same car, the same color everywhere. Just a matter of being conscious of it. :)

Feel the same as all above. Dale, understand your frustration. Wonder if a mini with its small size and nearly silent flight might be more acceptable to the ones in charge? Worth asking. Jealous and good luck, sounds exciting.

After watching the promo video, understand why you want/need a drone. Hope it works out.

LOL ... Yes I used to jump up and say hey that was a drone shot and Yes the wife did the roll the eyes thing.
Now I have settled down a bit and the wife comments Hey wasn't that a drone shot and I just giggle inside and agree.
OH WOW that would be so cool to fly in Africa but you already know the rules are because anyone can go buy a no name drone from almost any store and just go fly it - without knowing or caring about regulations.
I was staying at a motel (before covid) and wanted to fly my drone but was in a no fly zone. As I was packing the car to leave I saw a group of kids flying 2 drones and they were chasing each other around with the drones. They were running and yelling and having tons of fun. That what kids do.
I'm sure those kids would do the same thing if they were in Africa only it would be more fun (to them) to chase a wild animal. There then comes to rule NO DRONES - which is much easier to enforce then allowing responsible/sensible drone pilots to fly. I totally agree with you Dale D just had to get my 2 cents in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizP