DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones May Put "Maverick" Out of a Job.

I watched some videos on YouTube talking to past instructors @ the Navy Fighter Weapons School as to the accuracy of the new TG: Maverick movie. They said, one it's a movie, not a documentary. They said a lot was accurate, some for theatrics. But they also think the newest generation of fighters may be some of the last manned fighters. Lots of things are pointing toward building remotely-operated or autonomously-operated fighter craft. With the current technology operating the Global Hawk, Reaper, Predator drones, it probably wouldn't take much to make a fighter unmanned. Think of the movie "Stealth," but without the smart-aleck AI.

I wrote a paper in the USAF about unmanned aircraft, boy, the pilots hate that idea. I was public enemy #1 for a good while.

But...I still stand on the main principles:
-AI isn't going to be ready to make final decisions anytime soon, a human has to make all the major decisions, especially firing. Secure and low latency connection is paramount in the absence of AI.
-There are multiple advantages to taking the pilot out of combat aircraft beyond mere safety. Removing life support systems will improve performance, and the airframe can be designed to go well beyond the ~9G limits of manned flight.
-Cargo operations should be the first to go pilotless.
-Not for civil aviation, pilot should be onboard anytime there are passengers or crews.

Anyway, got a bit over excited since this is a topic I've put some thought into long ago.

We know the aircraft we now have can perform maneuvers way beyond those a human pilot can do. However, until AI drones can use their brain to survive, I think the human element either from the ground or in cockpit pilot will be here for awhile.

Hmm? Wonder what the airlines will do if there are fewer trained pilots from the military. I read that due to retirements, etc. there is already a shortage of pilots and that it will take years to build up that pool. I trust a pilot with a history of flying for many years rather than one that goes into training to fly a commercial aircraft. Is a pilot flying remotely as well trained in flying an aircraft within the cockpit? ..tough in cheek: : ).Has anyone seen a star wars movie where an aircraft was controlled by AI? And what happened with the AI controlling the ship:

2001: Space Odyssey​

Reactions: Prop Wash
I watched some videos on YouTube talking to past instructors @ the Navy Fighter Weapons School as to the accuracy of the new TG: Maverick movie. They said, one it's a movie, not a documentary. They said a lot was accurate, some for theatrics. But they also think the newest generation of fighters may be some of the last manned fighters. Lots of things are pointing toward building remotely-operated or autonomously-operated fighter craft. With the current technology operating the Global Hawk, Reaper, Predator drones, it probably wouldn't take much to make a fighter unmanned. Think of the movie "Stealth," but without the smart-aleck AI.
It was a fun a movie. I liked Maverick's response when the admiral talked about being replaced by drones. "Maybe, but not today."
Remote system speeds are getting incredibly fast. Just like cell phone 5G connectivity is improving. I swear our iPhones will be replaced by a chip in our heads in the not to distant future. Pilotless fighters are not much of a leap anymore. And dog fight aviation is really a relic. Especially when you can fire precision weapons from almost anywhere.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun