DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ebay has become a cesspool for selling

TonyPHX

Chuck Norris's drones don't crash.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just sharing in the off-topic section. I don't think this would have belonged in classifieds. I have "successfully" sold one of my used Mavic 3's THREE times now on eBay. Each time, the buyer has not been genuine. One even had a fake address listed. The other two claimed, "waiting on money" etc. It's just like eBay is not a serious marketplace anymore. And worse, for the buyer, there is no way to give feedback that the buyer is a fraud. And contacting eBay, well that is an art and a science and they seem to not want to help anyone.

I've had dozens of good experiences selling on ebay, with only one bad one. The buyer seemed flakey from the get-go, but revealed himself to be a scammer when he asked for shipping to another address with payment after shipping. I reported him and his account was removed. I sold a Mini and an Air 2 without problems.

Totally agree. I too have had issues with obvious fraudulent buyers. And I find eBay’s customer service to rival that of DJIs technical support lol

I’ve had the opposite problem, fake sellers. Even after reporting them, takes a while to be removed. Infuriating. Thankfully the few sales I’ve done went ok.

I pretty much stopped using eBay after they parted ways with PayPal.

I pretty much stopped using eBay after they parted ways with PayPal.
That is some what of a love/hate relationship/separation. PayPal favors the buyer, not the seller. It used to have a monopoly in being the only monetary fulfillment option on eBay. Ebay has seemed to be a cesspool of items from China. They try to hide it in various means. Saying they have USA stock or have a us presence in a coastal or border boat dock shipping town. Or you find out they are in China by looking closer at their profile. Sometimes if it is cheaper than any other listing that is a possible giveaway. Or items you cant get anywhere else. A bulk seller. Other times is it because it is being shipped from a slow boat from China or goes through the instapak/China post agreement with the usps air freight.

I've been on ebay from early on as a buyer and it's gone from one of the first places I'd go to buy something to one of the very last. The prices are generally higher than anywhere else and it's just not worth sifting through them now to find items unless it's something rare I can't get anywhere else.

And now they charge sales tax appropriate for your locality.
Even more disturbing is that the final value which they take their cut from includes that sales tax:

Screenshot 2022-10-14 085004.jpg

So not only did the bidder (whose bid was $354) have to pay the additional $23.01 in sales tax, but eBay added that $23.01 to the final value on which I was charged their 12.9% fee.

Craigslist I've used a few times but offerup, I've never gotten a response from anybody.

Even more disturbing is that the final value which they take their cut from includes that sales tax:

View attachment 155861

So not only did the bidder (whose bid was $354) have to pay the additional $23.01 in sales tax, but eBay added that $23.01 to the final value on which I was charged their 12.9% fee.
Isn't that something you could omplain to the federal trade commission?

Looks like PayPal is changing their terms also.

Just sharing in the off-topic section. I don't think this would have belonged in classifieds. I have "successfully" sold one of my used Mavic 3's THREE times now on eBay. Each time, the buyer has not been genuine. One even had a fake address listed. The other two claimed, "waiting on money" etc. It's just like eBay is not a serious marketplace anymore. And worse, for the buyer, there is no way to give feedback that the buyer is a fraud. And contacting eBay, well that is an art and a science and they seem to not want to help anyone.
I quite using Ebay 10 years ago or more due to fake buyers. On several consecutive occasions, I had items listed for sale that were bid up past my reserve and with minutes to go, fake buyers swooped in "won" the auctions. After receiving and subsequently reporting follow on email messages from the "buyers" asking me to ship to foreign addresses and failing to pay, I had to relist the items for sale. In every single case, the items never sold for what they would have sold for if the original auctions had ended with legitimate buyers. Ebay is an online cesspool.

Reactions: retiredNH

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh