DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Encounter with Hamilton Police - went well

rjwmorrell

Reactions
So this week I have been taking advantage of some free time in the evenings, and getting some video and hyperlapses done around the Hamilton area. Tonight I wanted to capture some nice lighting from some of the more notable buildings in downtown with my Air 2S, such as City Hall, the restaurants on King William, and First Ontario Centre. I had pre-planned my evening, including submitted my request to operate in Controlled Airspace on the NAV Drone app.

Thank goodness I did!

As I was wrapping up my last battery and flight, three Hamilton Police cruisers whooshed into the parking lot I was at. I had been about to land anyway having just completed my last hyperlapse (it was not long enough, and I am sad!). It was a Sgt that came over to talk to me and asked if I had a drone licence. I happily produced it, as I keep all the docs in a binder along with my RPAS registration. He read through the Advanced conditions and permissions, and then I showed him my NAV Canada approval -- I don't think he was aware that it was controlled airspace, their concern was people thought the drone was too close to apartment buildings and/or people. King William was busy this evening, but I kept the drone over the mainly empty parking lot, or the adjacent building, and not over (within 5m) of people, as per Advanced rules.

Anyway, after a friendly chat the Sgt went an spoke to the other officers who attended, I could hear him explaining some of the things a drone pilot is required to have etc. I chatted a bit more and apparently a handful of officers have had some drone familiarization put on my the current police RPAS pilots. I did remind them that drones under 250g are exempt from a large number of the usual rules under the Canadian Aviation Regulations, and I don't think police carry scales around in their cars (nor am I certain they have the authority to demand your drone in order to weigh it), but I also explained what goes into the Basic and Advanced exams and the advanced flight review (having just done mine) so they understand that a properly licenced drone pilot should be well prepped for their mission and know the rules. We both agreed the real problem are the people who buy a drone and just don't care, they fly it anywhere and don't pay attention to any rules.

Now, on to editing some hyperlapses and other cool night videos!

So this week I have been taking advantage of some free time in the evenings, and getting some video and hyperlapses done around the Hamilton area. Tonight I wanted to capture some nice lighting from some of the more notable buildings in downtown with my Air 2S, such as City Hall, the restaurants on King William, and First Ontario Centre. I had pre-planned my evening, including submitted my request to operate in Controlled Airspace on the NAV Drone app.

Thank goodness I did!

As I was wrapping up my last battery and flight, three Hamilton Police cruisers whooshed into the parking lot I was at. I had been about to land anyway having just completed my last hyperlapse (it was not long enough, and I am sad!). It was a Sgt that came over to talk to me and asked if I had a drone licence. I happily produced it, as I keep all the docs in a binder along with my RPAS registration. He read through the Advanced conditions and permissions, and then I showed him my NAV Canada approval -- I don't think he was aware that it was controlled airspace, their concern was people thought the drone was too close to apartment buildings and/or people. King William was busy this evening, but I kept the drone over the mainly empty parking lot, or the adjacent building, and not over (within 5m) of people, as per Advanced rules.

Anyway, after a friendly chat the Sgt went an spoke to the other officers who attended, I could hear him explaining some of the things a drone pilot is required to have etc. I chatted a bit more and apparently a handful of officers have had some drone familiarization put on my the current police RPAS pilots. I did remind them that drones under 250g are exempt from a large number of the usual rules under the Canadian Aviation Regulations, and I don't think police carry scales around in their cars (nor am I certain they have the authority to demand your drone in order to weigh it), but I also explained what goes into the Basic and Advanced exams and the advanced flight review (having just done mine) so they understand that a properly licenced drone pilot should be well prepped for their mission and know the rules. We both agreed the real problem are the people who buy a drone and just don't care, they fly it anywhere and don't pay attention to any rules.

Now, on to editing some hyperlapses and other cool night videos!
Education not confrontation is what I always try to use, well done to you, cheers Len

Props to you for being well prepared, following the rules and promoting good drone piloting etiquette.

It is refreshing to read a story like yours amongst the many posts on the forum about the lack of disregard for drone rules and regulations and the ever increasing clampdown in an attempt to deal with the situation. Thanks for sharing this story.

Chris

Good to hear a Canadian story regarding interaction with the authorities. It hasn't happened to me yet, but, like yourself, I fly prepared and legally with all required documents on my person at all times. Good on ya!

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I do wonder what the situation would have been had I been flying a microdrone, since they don't require a licence. I would have been happy to show mine anyway, even though it's not required. The Sgt did reveal to me that enforcement wise they really would just take as many details as they could and pass it on to Transport Canada for follow up anyway (unless, of course, some type of crime was being committed or aircraft/people were in danger).

I do know some police officers who fly drones privately, and are aware of the rules. A worst case scenario would be police who don't know the rules and make them up meeting a drone pilot who doesn't know the rules either and assumes they're in the right just because of some preconceived notions they heard on the internet, from a buddy, etc.

It's like these gas-powered bicycles and numerous other bothersome illegal vehicles on sidewalks and roads. People see other people using them, they can buy them legally. But many times these contraption are not allowed on roads or sidewalks and are for private property use only. It leads to unnecessary confrontations etc when people use them against the rules and think they're entitled.

I do wonder what the situation would have been had I been flying a microdrone, since they don't require a licence. I would have been happy to show mine anyway, even though it's not required. The Sgt did reveal to me that enforcement wise they really would just take as many details as they could and pass it on to Transport Canada for follow up anyway (unless, of course, some type of crime was being committed or aircraft/people were in danger).

I do know some police officers who fly drones privately, and are aware of the rules. A worst case scenario would be police who don't know the rules and make them up meeting a drone pilot who doesn't know the rules either and assumes they're in the right just because of some preconceived notions they heard on the internet, from a buddy, etc.

It's like these gas-powered bicycles and numerous other bothersome illegal vehicles on sidewalks and roads. People see other people using them, they can buy them legally. But many times these contraption are not allowed on roads or sidewalks and are for private property use only. It leads to unnecessary confrontations etc when people use them against the rules and think they're entitled.
Funny you wonder about the micro drones. I have wondered the same thing. My mini 3 (not the pro) was not even in Transport Canada's list of registerable aircraft and I had to enter the info manually to register it, which I'm not required to by law (so long as I fly with the non plus battery) but I registered it anyway as I do have a plus battery. My point is, even my mini 3, along with my Mavic 3 and Phantom 3 are all registered and marked with their reg numbers. All 3 aircraft have a copy of the registration, a copy of my Pilots license and a copy of the manufacturer's operating manual inside each of their carrying cases so that regardless of which aircraft I'm flying and where, I'm able to provide all required documents and then some.

Great to hear this, as you are obviously a very well prepared pilot and exhibited great public relationship skills! 👍🏻👍🏻

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Apparently these police encounters went "well" also.

So I'm going to post this for the two police encounters, the first one I understand because it is likely the police have standing orders to keep anyone off the property although it would be helpful if there were no trespassing signs posted. But I know in some place, police can act as the property's agent when the business is closed or others unavailable. Good encounter because the officer made brief contact and didn't push the issue; not so good encounter because she immediately told him he wasn't supposed to be there ("which you don't") and set up on them afterwards.

And then the second encounter, officers asking for authorization? Claiming if you are leaving "I won't have to make a phone call?" Ended well but maybe....comments? What would you do?

BTW, I don't fly like Ken Heron, you would never catch me flying where a bunch of people are located or up and down city streets. I guess he believes a sub-250g mitigates some of the risk but still, I'm not a big fan of flying in and around the places in this video even with permission.