DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON BT-300

What a coincidence! For non-drone work-related reasons a Moverio showed up on my desk this morning for evaluation. I half-heartedly googled it and this page showed up! I had no idea it was supposed to work with DJI Go. I'll certainly give it a try when I can: who knows, maybe it's better with ocusync.

What a coincidence! For non-drone work-related reasons a Moverio showed up on my desk this morning for evaluation. I half-heartedly googled it and this page showed up! I had no idea it was supposed to work with DJI Go. I'll certainly give it a try when I can: who knows, maybe it's better with ocusync.
Anxious to get your thoughts. I had high hopes for the BT300 glasses, but like as said in my post 2 other DJI users complaing about the lag.

Reactions: JTS
For work reasons I am restricting myself (just this once!) to facts, not opinions.

I first set up the Mavic, controller and an iPad Mini 4 and made sure video transmission was working as expected, i.e. lag was in the milliseconds range.

I then powered everything down, disconnected the iPad and connected the Moverio running the same (latest) version of DJI Go.

* Despite spending an hour trying every option available in the DJI software, the lowest lag I obtained was about 8 seconds at the beginning of the test.
* This lag slowly increased to about 20 seconds.
* There were occasional and periodic dropouts to black and digital breakup noise.

I might well be wrong, but my guess is that the Moverio hardware is decompressing the OcuSync video stream in software and hasn't finished decompressing frame n when n+1 comes along. At this point one strategy for the software would be to drop frame n+1 and continue with n+2, however I do not think this is occurring. I think the buffer just gets bigger until a size limit is hit, which is when visual artifacts appear. At that stage the lag probably goes back to a lower value and starts increasing again.

All of this is a shame because the display portion of the Moverio system is pretty good, but (in this case) it is let down by the processing hardware, specifically it seems as if a GPU is required to efficiently decompress an OcuSync stream.

I decided not to fly the Mavic using the Moverio system since real-world results seemed unlikely to be superior to the (literal) lab test, and it was snowing and I hadn't had lunch.

Reactions: jerryflah
@JTS Thanks! FYI...Early this morning I received a PM from the Epson Moverio Product Manager over on the Phantom Forum. He (or she) has asked me not to re-post their user, but here is the transcript from the PM:

Saw that you pre-ordered a Moverio BT-300 - thank you for your support and posts! I'm the Product Manager for Epson, so would like to provide you with some behind the scenes info:

1) We're building the special bundle this week. Hoping to ship the units to Prelaunch by mid-Feb (trying our best to hit this date)
2) We're pre-loading the DJI GO 3.1.2 app (it doesn't suffer from latency like an earlier build did)
3) Not sure if we're going to release DJI GO 4 app out of the gates (however, I'll give you detailed instructions on how to load it - it works well)

feel free to reply to this post with any question; but please don't share my user name

thanks!

@JTS I just noticed that you live right down the road from me; we'll have to get together some time.

@Anthony Viscomi
We may have already met: were you at Benjamin Rush State Park with spiderpig and everyone a couple of weekends ago? I'm the guy with the Brit accent.

I see from your post that Epson are implying that different builds and versions have different latency. Interesting.

To be clear: the version of "DJI GO" that I tested was downloaded from the "Moverio Apps Market" on the Moverio itself, where it currently appears as #2 on the "Top Apps" list.
If Epson have a DJI GO version they prefer, or a build optimized in some way for Moverio, they should post it there.

Please PM my thoughts to your Epson contact. I'm happy to retest any version or build s/he suggests. No-one wants this thing to work more than I do, after all I already have a Moverio and a Mavic!

Reactions: Johnnyaibo
@Anthony Viscomi
We may have already met: were you at Benjamin Rush State Park with spiderpig and everyone a couple of weekends ago? I'm the guy with the Brit accent.

I see from your post that Epson are implying that different builds and versions have different latency. Interesting.

To be clear: the version of "DJI GO" that I tested was downloaded from the "Moverio Apps Market" on the Moverio itself, where it currently appears as #2 on the "Top Apps" list.
If Epson have a DJI GO version they prefer, or a build optimized in some way for Moverio, they should post it there.

Please PM my thoughts to your Epson contact. I'm happy to retest any version or build s/he suggests. No-one wants this thing to work more than I do, after all I already have a Moverio and a Mavic!
LOL Now I remember...Also, read these posts in regards to the DJI GO App update for the BT-300

EPSON BT 300 MOVERIO - IS THIS THE EMPERORS NEW CLOTHES ?

Another coincidence: they fixed it at 12:45 today, the exact time I started testing.
Alright, the Moverio's at work but tomorrow I'll sideload that apk and test it again.

Another coincidence: they fixed it at 12:45 today, the exact time I started testing.
Alright, the Moverio's at work but tomorrow I'll sideload that apk and test it again.
@JTS What function are you using them for at work? Engineering/Design?

@JTS Thanks! FYI...Early this morning I received a PM from the Epson Moverio Product Manager over on the Phantom Forum. He (or she) has asked me not to re-post their user, but here is the transcript from the PM:

Saw that you pre-ordered a Moverio BT-300 - thank you for your support and posts! I'm the Product Manager for Epson, so would like to provide you with some behind the scenes info:

1) We're building the special bundle this week. Hoping to ship the units to Prelaunch by mid-Feb (trying our best to hit this date)
2) We're pre-loading the DJI GO 3.1.2 app (it doesn't suffer from latency like an earlier build did)
3) Not sure if we're going to release DJI GO 4 app out of the gates (however, I'll give you detailed instructions on how to load it - it works well)

feel free to reply to this post with any question; but please don't share my user name

thanks!

There are a number of new apps with features specifically for the Moverio and using features built-into the goggles. More later but keep an eye out for upcoming announcements.

I just received the Epson BT-300 control module holder for the Mavic. It fits perfectly between the RC "clamps". I'll be receiving the actual glasses tomorrow.

Attachments

• MAVIC_HOLDER.JPG
    MAVIC_HOLDER.JPG
    614.9 KB · Views: 65
I also received the Rochester Optical dark sun-shields for the Moverio BT-300 and they are truly made with the highest quality. My intentions are to configure the Android portion of the device tomorrow, in order to get the DJI GO 4.0 app to work I need to manually apply the APK files. Please note that the BT-300 version that I have is a Pre-Release version of the Drone Edition. The final release will/should have all the appropriate files/apps installed. I will be performing the actual testing of the glasses on Saturday using my Mavic and Inspire 2, time and weather permitting. Myself and @spiderpig intend on creating a video style review along with a detailed "write up". My video skills suck, thus I volunteered @spiderpig to assist.

Link to the 3D Mavic Mount:
Moverio Accessories by moverio7 - Shapeways Shops

Attachments

• shades.JPG
    shades.JPG
    840.1 KB · Views: 54
Picture on the BT-300 mount to be used with Phantom & Inspire:

Attachments

• IMG_4114.JPG
    IMG_4114.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 66
For work reasons I am restricting myself (just this once!) to facts, not opinions.

I first set up the Mavic, controller and an iPad Mini 4 and made sure video transmission was working as expected, i.e. lag was in the milliseconds range.

I then powered everything down, disconnected the iPad and connected the Moverio running the same (latest) version of DJI Go.

* Despite spending an hour trying every option available in the DJI software, the lowest lag I obtained was about 8 seconds at the beginning of the test.
* This lag slowly increased to about 20 seconds.
* There were occasional and periodic dropouts to black and digital breakup noise.

I might well be wrong, but my guess is that the Moverio hardware is decompressing the OcuSync video stream in software and hasn't finished decompressing frame n when n+1 comes along. At this point one strategy for the software would be to drop frame n+1 and continue with n+2, however I do not think this is occurring. I think the buffer just gets bigger until a size limit is hit, which is when visual artifacts appear. At that stage the lag probably goes back to a lower value and starts increasing again.

All of this is a shame because the display portion of the Moverio system is pretty good, but (in this case) it is let down by the processing hardware, specifically it seems as if a GPU is required to efficiently decompress an OcuSync stream.

I decided not to fly the Mavic using the Moverio system since real-world results seemed unlikely to be superior to the (literal) lab test, and it was snowing and I hadn't had lunch.
AND I HADN'T HAD LUNCH, HEE HEE

Reactions: JTS
I just received the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses today and successfully side-loaded the DJI Go 4.0 App. along with another app to keep orientation correct. They are a HIGH quality set of glasses and just bench testing them it looks like the latency issues are gone. I will be flying with them tomorrow.

So, @Anthony Viscomi how is the latency?
No latency...at least nothing noticeable. The key is to ensure that first run the Rotation Lock App and second runt the DJO Go app. Also, always ensure that there are no background app running.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom