DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exporting H265 Footage In Adobe Premiere?

RC5728

Reactions
How is everyone exporting H265 footage in Adobe Premiere?

I'm not seeing any option to export it above 25 Mbps. Which is way lower than it should be.

The first question is...from where do you want to view the clips? YooToob, Vimeo, or some other online repository? If you do plan to upload your vids, know that all these services create multiple resolution copies of your file but even the 4k option (2160) will be HIGHLY compressed and thus, you don't need that enormous bandwidth to view them.

In the Export Dialog Box: (<Ctrl><M>)

(These are just MY YT export settings, I'm sure folks use others)

BASIC VIDEO SETTINGS
Match Source (or choose your own downsampling rez)
(do not use Render at Maximum Depth)

ENCODING SETTINGS
Software Encoding
Profile: High10
Level: 5.2

BITRATE SETTINGS
VBR, 2 pass
Target Bitrate: 8mbs
Maximum Bitrate: 45mbs

Use: Maximum Render Quality

Hit the Export button, give it a filename, and you're off and running but go make a cup of joe as any video over a minute or so will take some time to render.

Hope that helps.

Target Bitrate only 8mbs?

The quality was awful when I've done that in the past.

Don't know what to say, RC, but after watching many videos on Premiere, those are the numbers I gleaned and I have not seen any quality issues, even when playing clips natively on a 4k LG OLED. If you're bored, here is my channel, see if you can detect any quality issues on YT.

For YT the quality is probably OK, but I also need a way to export at the native bit rate for my own personal viewing, which is 100 mbps for the Mavic 2.

In Adobe Premiere I am not seeing any way to do that unless I export at H264 instead of H265.

Is this what people are doing?

I also noticed the exporting in H265 is incredibly slow on my gaming PC. As in, like 1-2 hours just to export a 50 second video.

Cc premier has lost stacks of export options that you’d normally use, your better off rendering out in Adobe media encoder. Just add your project to the queue and select all the options you’d like.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
In my older non CC at least, You can change all the output variables, you aren't tied to presets.
Then save it as a new preset.
I record H.265 but export H.264, I think you still get better quality material to start with and it responds very well to tweaking highlights, shadows and colours.
H.265 still has too many potential problems when viewed on less capable devices. They all play H.264

For YT the quality is probably OK, but I also need a way to export at the native bit rate for my own personal viewing, which is 100 mbps for the Mavic 2.

RC: I'm not Bud, SAR, Meta, Kilrah, msinger, or any other extremely knowledgeable M2 person but, I THINK the 100mbs number is for writing to the memory card not for playing the clip. I think that has to be the case or my clips encoded with the settings I mentioned, would not play back just fine over an 802.11 connection which has a maximum (theoretical) throughput of 54mbs (but substantially less in real-world conditions.)

I just double checked by using an iOS File Browser app on my iPhone X (over WiFi) to go directly to a clip I encoded yesterday and it played perfectly.

However, if I'm totally screwed up with this thinking, my apologies.

Last edited:
So no one is actually exporting in H265?

Doesn't that make H265 kind of pointless then? Does H265 take up more space or are they the same file size?

I would suggest searching the forum for "H.265" as there have been a number of discussions about the new compression scheme. This is clearly the future but right now, the issue is whether a piece of hardware, whatever it is, can play back the H.265 recordings. Most new 4k TV's can do it but the list is still limited. For sure this will improve in the near future and eventually, H.264 will go the way of SD television.

However, to address your question, I'm reasonably sure DJI chose to use it for file sizes on the memory card. (Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong on this supposition.) To the OP, I think a semi-general statement can be made that H.265 can either give you the same recording time footage at half the file size of H.264 or, twice the footage for the same file size as H.264. It's not exactly half or double but I hope you get the gist.

I would suggest searching the forum for "H.265" as there have been a number of discussions about the new compression scheme. This is clearly the future but right now, the issue is whether a piece of hardware, whatever it is, can play back the H.265 recordings. Most new 4k TV's can do it but the list is still limited. For sure this will improve in the near future and eventually, H.264 will go the way of SD television.

However, to address your question, I'm reasonably sure DJI chose to use it for file sizes on the memory card. (Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong on this supposition.) To the OP, I think a semi-general statement can be made that H.265 can either give you the same recording time footage at half the file size of H.264 or, twice the footage for the same file size as H.264. It's not exactly half or double but I hope you get the gist.
Higher compression and better quality for the given filesize, but man it eats processing power for breakfast

From my understanding H.264 is software encoded, H.265 is hardware. If you don't have a GPU that can handle it you won't get the option.

RC5728, at the moment H.265 is really only an acquisition format. It's awesome because it allows us to capture much more detail in a small file size. It's a full-on professional acquisition codec, but it's currently pointless as an output format. Output for web should be H.264 and sites like Youtube or Vimeo will do their own encoding anyway. Their guidelines will tell you what bitrates are advised and they do update them every now and then, eg a few years ago 5mbps was standard, but now it's way more than that. The better your source material, the better the encode will look too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You select export and then click H265 and then select Custom , Drop down the Menu and select 4k UHD option you can now set the Bit Rate at 100 :) then select render at max render quality for the best.

Note you need to select Tier High ( Just above the bit rate settings in the menu ) other wise it will only let you select 60mbps max! you can now change the Bit rate to 100

Last edited:
Adobe Does let you convert H265 to max 60mbs !
are you sure? 60mbs was a gopro default profile limit, does Premiere really even care what the maximum bitrate can be set to? if you set it to 'auto' it should not cap it at all.
I cap bitrate in Resolve to 80mbs as i see it usually floats from 100 to 80 anyway in the M2P HQ stream, and so far i could not see anything bad having this limit enforced. it produces slightly smaller files, may be, like, 680Mb from the 740Mb source.

sorry if you stated the same above - i donot have premier installed right now so cannot recall by memory.

In Adobe Premiere I am not seeing any way to do that unless I export at H264 instead of H265.

Is this what people are doing?

I also noticed the exporting in H265 is incredibly slow on my gaming PC. As in, like 1-2 hours just to export a 50 second video.

You just need to change the profile to Tier High and then you can change the bit rate :)

are you sure? 60mbs was a gopro default profile limit, does Premiere really even care what the maximum bitrate can be set to? if you set it to 'auto' it should not cap it at all.
I cap bitrate in Resolve to 80mbs as i see it usually floats from 100 to 80 anyway in the M2P HQ stream, and so far i could not see anything bad having this limit enforced. it produces slightly smaller files, may be, like, 680Mb from the 740Mb source.

sorry if you stated the same above - i donot have premier installed right now so cannot recall by memory.

You can change it up to 200 + if you want just need to select Tier and select high and it will give you the options to set Bitrate as you please. 4k UHD / Custom , Select Tier High and then select bit rate. Then render at max quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1