DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

External Storage for media, dji seagate drive versus others

Cant you limit the file sizes in the Mavic? So it has a single file size limit of 4gb? If you limited file sizes to smaller than 4gb does it stop recording and start again?

Im strictly a photography guy so the file size limit doesnt sound like an issue for me. But I'd still need to carry the external hd with me so maybe the Toshiba is a better option....

I bought this 4 days ago and it is going back. I had the same EXACT scenario I was thinking of using it as but it cannot handle file sizes above 4gb. The files coming from DJI are 4.09 gig so it does not transfer them. :-(

I liked the size a LOT and it's battery capacity to time ratio. But since it didn't work with the file sizes I ended up getting a return label and bought the WD I listed above which came in today. I will be testing that later tonight / tomorrow.

Hey mate can you let me know about the wd if it's what I would need on my trip to plug the ad card into and file transfer so I can delete the card and record more 2 weeks gonna be so much footage

Hey mate can you let me know about the wd if it's what I would need on my trip to plug the ad card into and file transfer so I can delete the card and record more 2 weeks gonna be so much footage

Yes for sure that is one of it's features including much more. I just got the unit this afternoon and I am upgrading it's firmware and setting up its settings. So far I am very impressed with it's interface.

Need to test out the copy function to see how fast it can copy data. I will do some quick tests and report back with more details.

Here is a quick update. I copied over about 35gb of videos and photos over using the auto upload from SD feature. it worked great with nothing other than a quick insert of the SD card and a button push. It copied the data over very quickly. (approx 10-15 min, didn't exactly time it). I had to change the settings to not show original quality content since all my videos were shot in 4k and the device was having a tough time caching that large of content to display. Once I bumped the quality down to 1080p, I was able to very quickly access and view all of the photo's and videos directly from my computer or the mobile device while it was still stored on the WD drive. It's performance is very good and didn't have any issues. I even loaded PLEX media server onto it and I was able to load up an unprotected movie onto it and stream it wifi onto my mobile device.

At this point I now have a 3tb drive for $180 that allows me to automatically copy content directly from an SD card OR a usb source onto the internal drive without any interaction other than a press of a button. It has the ability to copy or move the content but I opted to copy and I will use my Mavic or camera to erase the media once it's content has been copied over.

One other thing I like is that I can attach the mavic (not yet tested) or a camera directly to the WD using usb and have it transfer it's content over without having to remove the SD card. BUT the transfer speed on the USB port is only 2.0 where as the SD slot is USB 3.0 speeds.

So far very happy and I will give it some good testing over the weekend and onto next week. Down the line having the ability to stream other types of content (music, photo's, video / movies) from other folders that I can setup on the device OUTSIDE of the SD card backup folder is going to add even more benefit. Thats where the 3TB storage will become very handy while on vacation. Not only will I be able to offload all my vacation content onto this device but also be able to view them at anytime onto any media and have access to other pre-loaded content that I may have brought for my kids to also have access to.

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
I am back from a weekend trip to Joshua Tree camping with my daughter. I shot a lot of video with my Mavic and I would export the video on every battery change which took about a min or less! Then the bird would be back up flying. I was then able to easily see the shot video and picts off my phone or tablet at anytime. I even AirPlayed one of the videos (raw) directly through a pico projector onto a rock at night for our entire camping group to watch. It was pretty cool hearing all the kids and dads saying look at me and what they were doing at that time when they were being recorded.

I continue to be impressed with the Mavic Pro and now the new WD device and it's versatility and speed. Highly recommended if you want to offload content and have the ability to watch or use it's data outside of the Mavic.

Reactions: Rbruz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe