DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA 400ft rule

...and once someone gets to the top of a hill or cliff above where they are standing, it really isn't safe to climb very high above it if you cant visually see the other side.

Plus you run the risk of losing connection.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Yes. See more details here:

I was curious about the "don't fly over people" rule. I always thought it was don't fly over a crowd of people, or in the city where lots of people are around. There's aren't too many places where there are no people at all.

I was curious about the "don't fly over people" rule. I always thought it was don't fly over a crowd of people, or in the city where lots of people are around. There's aren't too many places where there are no people at all.

In the US, you can’t fly over people with a recreational license, you are only allowed to fly over people that are directly related to your flight, such as observers if you have a 107.

In the US, you can’t fly over people with a recreational license, you are only allowed to fly over people that are directly related to your flight, such as observers if you have a 107.
normally i'm not the grammar police but your sentence is a run-on and it doesn't make sense to the beginner. can't tell if your are talking about a hobby flyer or a part 107 flyer. again, i know the correct answer but your sentence is potentially confusing to some of our newer readers. you don't have to correct it or clarify it, just wanted to point that out. and...there's no such thing as a recreational license, is it?

anyway, this is the rule:

1. Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people.

and it's open to interpretation, which is part of the problem. what is it meant to say? i know it when i see it but do you? i guess that depending on who are you, where you are flying, and who's asking. i was asked in a previous thread to state my case, well i'm stating it: this sucks and it's a stupid rule. it could get your drone confiscated, it could cost you a ticket, it could get you arrested for disorderly conduct, or you could be trespassed on public property.

responsible pilots will fly responsibility, we didn't need this to tell us how to fly responsibly. this rule was made up to cover the irresponsible flyers and now we're stuck with it unless we work on changing it which i hear might be coming. the rule should have said:

1. Always fly responsibly and safely.

Reactions: AMann
normally i'm not the grammar police but your sentence is a run-on and it doesn't make sense to the beginner. can't tell if your are talking about a hobby flyer or a part 107 flyer. again, i know the correct answer but your sentence is potentially confusing to some of our newer readers. you don't have to correct it or clarify it, just wanted to point that out. and...there's no such thing as a recreational license, is it?

1. Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people

No - that's not a rule - that's FAA guidance from their website for recreational flyers.

In Part 107 the regulation is:

§107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:​
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or​
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.​

For recreational flyers, 49 USC §44809 doesn't mention flying over people. It does require following a CBO guidelines, and the AMA safety handbook says:

I will avoid flying directly over unprotected people, moving vehicles, and occupied structures.​

No - that's not a rule - that's FAA guidance from their website for recreational flyers.

In Part 107 the regulation is:

§107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:​
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or​
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.​

For recreational flyers, 49 USC §44809 doesn't mention flying over people. It does require following a CBO guidelines, and the AMA safety handbook says:

I will avoid flying directly over unprotected people, moving vehicles, and occupied structures.​

good to know. so much confusion but i think that helps. so as a recreational flyer, how exactly am i to cross the highway with my drone as cars are driving by non-stop? just today i flew my drone over the freeway and across to the other side, did i violate this regulation?

if i fly in the neighborhood when people are at home, are i flying over occupied structures? i dunno, this could be worse than i thought. is this going to change/update anytime soon?

and it's open to interpretation, which is part of the problem. what is it meant to say? i know it when i see it but do you? i guess that depending on who are you, where you are flying, and who's asking. i was asked in a previous thread to state my case, well i'm stating it: this sucks and it's a stupid rule. it could get your drone confiscated, it could cost you a ticket, it could get you arrested for disorderly conduct, or you could be trespassed on public property.

responsible pilots will fly responsibility, we didn't need this to tell us how to fly responsibly. this rule was made up to cover the irresponsible flyers and now we're stuck with it unless we work on changing it which i hear might be coming. the rule should have said:

I’ll just leave this here it’s funny Canadian recreational fliers need licenses now. :)

785F2125-519E-424D-9E72-BE9A7322A094.png

good to know. so much confusion but i think that helps. so as a recreational flyer, how exactly am i to cross the highway with my drone as cars are driving by non-stop? just today i flew my drone over the freeway and across to the other side, did i violate this regulation?

if i fly in the neighborhood when people are at home, are i flying over occupied structures? i dunno, this could be worse than i thought. is this going to change/update anytime soon?

If people are under cover including a car, it should be ok. But if the come out from cover, I don’t think it is a good idea to fly nearby them.

Last edited:

Looks like the Capitalization police will have to arrest this grammar police member..

If people are under cover including a car, it should be ok. But if the come out from cover, I don’t think it is a good idea to fly nearby them.

Under cover of a car/vehicle works but ONLY if the car is not moving (and redlight/stop sign do not count).

You are right, bombing cars on a highway may not be good for them. Startling a driver would be dangerous.

so are we concluding that hobby flying a drone over traffic is considered dangerous flying? or just when you are "bombing" the car.

interesting choice of words, a drone "startling" a driver. as a drone flyer, we're responsible for that now? does this have any legal context other than faa rules and regulations?

so are we concluding that hobby flying a drone over traffic is considered dangerous flying? or just when you are "bombing" the car.

interesting choice of words, a drone "startling" a driver. as a drone flyer, we're responsible for that now? does this have any legal context other than faa rules and regulations?

A driver startled by a drone, as in....

But really, a driver cruising along at 65mph could easily get startled by a falling drone if they take it in the windshield, and a motorcyclist would probably get very hurt or worse as a combined result of the direct hit and from falling over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylor1430
OK ? @dirkclod , have you been reading this? Isn't this like ancient news? I would say to all of you drone flyers, register your drone and just think of the "Rules" as Laws now... not rocket science.
Sorry but I have been busy dealing with other stuff Cheech
But an Admin is reading it so what are you asking me.
To close it. If he see’s it’s stale he will.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead