DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA TRUST Test is here!

Hey real quick. The FAA just released The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST). Everyone flying their drones recreationally in the US is required to take it. The good news is it’s free, it’s fast and Pilot Institute is an authorized Testing provider. You can find more information about TRUST with this video
and take the test directly at https://trust.pilotinstitute.com.

Just took the test. Easy to do, and now ready to go?

I just got my trust license. The licenses that I have are the 3 year registration and the TRUST license. Am i all caught up?

I just got my trust license. The licenses that I have are the 3 year registration and the TRUST license. Am i all caught up?
Yes, unless you want to fly commercially, then you will need your 107 certificate.

Attachments

• 69AAEC03-A3DF-47DD-BE9C-0F1DEF629D2C.jpg
    69AAEC03-A3DF-47DD-BE9C-0F1DEF629D2C.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2
As of June 22, 2021, recreational fixed-wing, rotary-wing, and multi-rotor RC pilots are required to take the free online TRUST training and pass the knowledge test to be certified to fly RC aircraft recreationally.

TRUST stands for Recreational UAS Safety Test.

The training and test are easy and I did it on my smart phone in 15-min. I’m sure that I could have taken and passed the test without reading the training text, but I took the time to read through the text so I could tell my recreational flying buddies, who aren’t big fans of the FAA,etc, what it’s all about.

You have to read a few paragraphs then take and pass a short multiple choice quiz about what you read. There are 4 or 5 sections and quizzes. If you miss any questions, they review the material and ask the question you missed again (I didn’t miss any questions so I’m not entirely sure about how they handle missed questions).

I have some very elderly RC buddies who may worry about taking the test but I doubt that they will have any trouble with it. There is no age limit (minimum or otherwise) for taking the exam. I think if you can read and understand English, you can pass the test.

Use the following resources to learn more and get your certificate:

The 2nd link is to UAV Coach’s website. I highly recommend them since they are who I use for my CFR Part 107 commercial UAV training. They don’t try to sell you other services when using their online TRUST training. Most of the other providers I checked, including the AMA, seemed to have ulterior motives for offering the free training and test. The Pilot Institute TRUST website seems good too.

Attachments

• B3F9F47F-2D19-4397-8165-5EBD7EFAA5F0.png
    B3F9F47F-2D19-4397-8165-5EBD7EFAA5F0.png
    900.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Not true. The website says anything larger than .55lbs. The mini 2 is .54 and I will not be getting prop guards…so again. I’m good
It's an easy test. Doesnt hurt to take it. I am passed it with all right answers the first time and I knew the answers just from the YouTube videos I watched and various things I read. Didn't even need the info they provided on the site.

Reactions: spudster
It's an easy test. Doesnt hurt to take it. I am passed it with all right answers the first time and I knew the answers just from the YouTube videos I watched and various things I read. Didn't even need the info they provided on the site.
The page says "
  1. If your drone weighs more than .55 lbs, register your drone through the FAA's DroneZone".
That doesn't apply to the TRUST, just registration.

Attachments

• trsut.jpg
    trsut.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 3
Is it required as well for flying a drone less than 250g?
Yes. All recreational flyers need to take it, no matter the weight of their drones.

I just took it. I went to the FAA website to find the list of providers, and I took mine from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, so now I can say I got a diploma from them (sort of). I did notice one thing during the course work: It said that, if the FAA or local law enforcement asks, you must tell them which CBO's set of rules you are flying under. Hmm, I'm not aware of any approved CBOs yet. The FAA issued some interim guidelines that I think I can fly under, but that wasn't mentioned during the TRUST course.

Oh well, I also have a Part 107 certificate, and virtually all of my flying would be allowed under either set of rules, so I'm not too concerned about this. But they ought to approve a CBO one of these days...
FAA has said specifically that they have not yet started approving CBO's for this purpose:
Note: We have not yet begun officially recognizing CBOs. Recreational flyers are directed to follow the safety guidelines of existing aeromodeling organizations or use the FAA provided safety guidelines per Advisory Circular 91-57B.
Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

Reactions: Vic Moss
Yes. All recreational flyers need to take it, no matter the weight of their drones.
Why do they need to take it? What is the purpose of it?

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
If you're in the US, it's required by law. Part of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act. Technically part of 49 USC 44809. Part (7) of that law to be exact.

The last time something drone-related was "required by law" was when they wanted us to register our drones. A few months after I registered mine, the law was overturned. I've been flying my drone safely ever since without involving the FAA and see no reason to start now.

The last time something drone-related was "required by law" was when they wanted us to register our drones. A few months after I registered mine, the law was overturned. I've been flying my drone safely ever since without involving the FAA and see no reason to start now.
This won’t be overturned. It’s a Congressional mandate. Fly legal.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom