DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming Car Accidents? Morbid? Ethical? I don't want to end up like Jake G. from Nightcrawler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BingErr

Reactions
REDACTED

UPDATE: I removed this video because I was going off Minnesota Drone Law which states it is illegal to INTERFERE with emergency services..."§ 1370. Interference with wildfire suppression, law enforcement, or emergency response effort by operation of unmanned aircraft"
but someone was kind enough to point out that it does not hold to FAA guidelines which states...Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations #10
"Never fly near emergencies such as any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts."
So video removed and lesson learned. Luckily on the faa.gov page right below #10 it states...
"Recreational flyers should know that if they intentionally violate any of these safety requirements... they could be liable for criminal and/or civil penalties."
Since I did not INTENTIONALLY violate this safety requirement and removed the video hopefully no action will be taken.

VIDEO REMOVED BY USER

Last edited:
to me filming that crash was wrong on so many levels

Reactions: AMann
A crime for sure! I wouldnt claim that video if I were you!
EDIT; OMG! I just watched the video.... You gave your full name several times. LOL! You are screwed!

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Thank God, No dead bodies but the chance of a Med E Vac scares me from doing this.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
I am an American. Its is not legal to fly over emergency operations. It isnt even right to walk up on them. This was a big mistake on the OP's part. Oh, He'll get his credit of course he may not like the form of it, and the rest of us will get the backlash......

Another good example of why we can’t have nice things like being able to fly our drones for fun without having to jump through legal hoops.

I am an American. Its is not legal to fly over emergency operations. It isnt even right to walk up on them. This was a big mistake on the OP's part. Oh, He'll get his credit of course he may not like the form of it, and the rest of us will get the backlash......

Sorry I quoted the wrong person- I meant it to go to Old Man Mavic, he was right even though they do post funny things on television and Britain, the good moral majority would not have done that.

Thank God, No dead bodies but the chance of a Med E Vac scares me from doing this.
Med evac would not have been used in this situation since it was a mile from the hospital. Would have taken more time to use the heli.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. This is NOT illegal per national, state, or city laws. This is NOT a wild fire. Minnesota only finds it illegal if I interfere with emergency services. I definitely didn't interfere with them. And actually, law enforcement can review this footage and see that the red vehicle in the opposite lane was causing traffic to slow down and in the future a safer rescue environment could be achieved by making sure no one parks in the flow of traffic.

Reactions: Rattydude77
I'm going to respectfully disagree. This is NOT illegal per national, state, or city laws. This is NOT a wild fire. Minnesota only finds it illegal if I interfere with emergency services. I definitely didn't interfere with them. And actually, law enforcement can review this footage and see that the red vehicle in the opposite lane was causing traffic to slow down and in the future a safer rescue environment could be achieved by making sure no one parks in the flow of traffic.
To the extent it isn't illegal its irresponsible. How could you have known that a helicopter patient transfer wouldn't be required. stay away would be the best advice. Imagine if someone bled to death while the emergency helicopter had to wait for some clown with a drone to leave the area.

I hope for your sake you are right. But I am pretty sure that I would delete that video from the web ASAP.

To the extent it isn't illegal its irresponsible. How could you have known that a helicopter patient transfer wouldn't be required. stay away would be the best advice. Imagine if someone bled to death while the emergency helicopter had to wait for some clown with a drone to leave the area.
Because it would have taken longer for a helicopter to transport than an ambulance.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 31
I hope for your sake you are right. But I am pretty sure that I would delete that video from the web ASAP.
Yeah, I'm sure I flew legally, but I see the general consensus is "It looks bad", so I think I'll delete it after the evening news. Thanks for your opinion.

Yeah, I'm sure I flew legally, but I see the general consensus is "It looks bad", so I think I'll delete it after the evening news. Thanks for your opinion.
its not just my opinion. There has been SEVERAL posts on this forum over the years about stuff like this.

As for recreational fliers, #10 pretty much shows the illegality of doing this, OP probably also had no idea if there would be an air ambulance arriving or not and after the fact is not the time to justify that one was not on scene.

10. Never fly near emergencies such as any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.

And the same as a 107 certificated pilot:

We prohibit flying your drone over any emergency or rescue operations including: Wildfires, Hurricanes”

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicMikeK
As for recreational fliers, #10 pretty much shows the illegality of doing this, OP probably also had no idea if there would be an air ambulance arriving or not and after the fact is not the time to justify that one was not on scene.

10. Never fly near emergencies such as any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.

This is the best argument against it I've seen. But the
HR 1138 – Wildfire Airspace Protection Act of 2017 states I have to interfere with law enforcement. Is that only during wild fires or for any emergency?
SEC. 2. INTERFERENCE WITH WILDFIRE SUPPRESSION, LAW ENFORCEMENT, OR EMERGENCY RESPONSE EFFORT BY OPERATION OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.

And the same as a 107 certificated pilot:

We prohibit flying your drone over any emergency or rescue operations including: Wildfires, Hurricanes”

Just strange that I found another page from faa.gov stating flight is prohibited during emergencies, but only lists hurricanes and wildfires. Airspace Restrictions

But you're right, #10 IS clear. I'll take down the video. Thanks for finding that detail.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
At best your making an unnecessary nuisance of yourself. Let people get on with what is already an exceptionally difficult job without added distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying