DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming STATIC surroundings

maccardiolog

Reactions
Hello everybody ! The rule shutter speed = 2 x frame rate matters in principal for the fluency of the motion of the object/subject which is recorded . I think we could obtain very pleasant video of the ,,STATIC'' surroundings without respecting above equation , I mean ISO=100 with SS=1/800 for example , with a drone moving (of course) constantly , let's say above a forest . In that example the EV would be optimum . Which would be the drawbacks if any ? I put this question because most discussions about the matching shutter speed with frame rate are related to blurring / fluency of the MOVING subjects.....Thank you

The 180 degree shutter is to make movement seem pleasing by applying a cinematic blur.
Your 1/800 may look OK as well - but won't have the motion blur we normally associate with film - that is all.
You do seem to be missing the point however that whether your subject moves or you move is irrelevant - movement being relative.
If you keep the drone totally still and film a totally still building there will be no downside... apart from boredom.

Thank you for your reply . When you say ,, won't have the motion blur '' , do you refer to the forest from below that appeared filmed as ,,staccato''(exaggerating a little), the record would not ,,flow'' under our eyes ? I referred only for filming with moving Mavic , the drone hovering and filming would be as a photo...

Sorry - I m losing you in translation a bit.

Basically if you are moving the drone and the subject is stationary, or if the drone is static and the subject is moving... then you have movement.... better to have 180 degree shutter (to avoid the staccato look you mention).

If drone and object are stationary then I guess you could use any shutter speed you want. But bottom line is you need some ND filters. Unless you are taking photos!

Reactions: Mavman
Very clear , Doccy ! No importance which one is moving : the drone or the subject or both . There is moving on one side at least and the effect will be the same . Thank you again

Reactions: Mavman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31