DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally got enough nerve to fly under a bridge.. or 3..

Dronebow

Reactions

Have wanted to do this since owning the P3 and never mustered enough nerve. Finally did it and noticed some odd issues. I turned off obstacle avoidance but didn't turn off VPS. I noticed that I had to keep pushing up the elevation since it wanted to drift down closer to the water. I know it's not going to do well over water so that may just be the expectation at about 2 to 3' off the surface. Just wondering if others have also noticed the same.

I threw this video together so don't expect anything grand..

Nice. You flew this in ATTI Mode?

Nice! I have been flying rc for many years but can't get the guts to try this, yet...

Nice! I have been flying rc for many years but can't get the guts to try this, yet...
Same here.. I've wanted to do this for so long and finally just said what the heck. :) To be honest part of what pushed me to do this is that my wife thinks my areal videos are boring. She says that with Google earth she can see the same... OK Google Earth.. try this... LOL..

The camera is so deceiving. You think you're close and you're a mile away. Too hard to judge.

Reactions: Dronebow

Have wanted to do this since owning the P3 and never mustered enough nerve. Finally did it and noticed some odd issues. I turned off obstacle avoidance but didn't turn off VPS. I noticed that I had to keep pushing up the elevation since it wanted to drift down closer to the water. I know it's not going to do well over water so that may just be the expectation at about 2 to 3' off the surface. Just wondering if others have also noticed the same.

I threw this video together so don't expect anything grand..

You've balls of steel! Beautiful shots. Kept thinking a small bass would jump up and hit your drone.

I think I would put it in tripod mode to make it smoother when I move left and right.

You've balls of steel! Beautiful shots. Kept thinking a small bass would jump up and hit your drone.

I think I would put it in tripod mode to make it smoother when I move left and right.
I neglected to mention that this was also the first time I used the prop guards. I installed them just in case I hit a wall with it or something. I didn't hit anything but those things drag the wind really bad. I did this shot and then moved straight up when I got to the bush and wanted to do an overhead shot. There wasn't much wind really but full throttle and I was only moving like 6 to 8 mph.

And yes, I should have thought about tripod mode.. Maybe that's next for me.. ;-)

This isn't true. But I digress.
I've had several conversations on this. No one as far as I know has demonstrated otherwise... if you have some other knowledge please share... I challenged one guy and he came back and said after searching everywhere in the doc and online he could not find an ATTI mode either..

Challenge accepted:

ATTI mode is not user selectable and the Mavic goes into ATTI mode when GPS is interrupted or unavailable.

Thanks

I guess I should have asked did he fly "parts" of this in ATTI mode and my reason for that question was because I wanted to know if signal was lost or interrupted under the bridges.

Reactions: Pushpak
Challenge accepted:

ATTI mode is not user selectable and the Mavic goes into ATTI mode when GPS is interrupted or unavailable.

Thanks

I guess I should have asked did he fly "parts" of this in ATTI mode and my reason for that question was because I wanted to know if signal was lost or interrupted under the bridges.
Ok.. that makes more sense.. Thanks for clarifying. To be honest.. I was so concerned about not hitting the wall or dropping in the drink that I have no idea. I'll have to check when I get home on the flight logs to see if it lost GPS. I doubt it. The bridges were not very wide but if it did lose signal that may explain the odd behavior.

I wouldn't want any UAV to be bouncing on an off GPS in that tight of a window. Not only is the loss of GPS an issue but loss of connection to the RC sends that mavic straight up and into the bottom of the bridge trying to RTH.

Reactions: ed1nh0 and Dronebow
It does have attitude mode, but you can't manually select it. It's automatic especially when I fly indoors.

It does have attitude mode, but you can't manually select it. It's automatic especially when I fly indoors.
Yes, this is correct. The original question made it sound like he was asking if I "set" it to ATTI mode. Which you cannot do but you are correct.. it's automatic. And as DodgeP stated, it may be tricky with it flipping like that on it's own in such a tight quarter.

I did a bridge fly by (under) at Hilo Hawaii and did not have any issues....although I was not there long. Just long enough to make a quick pass.

Nice video. You should definitely switch from "RTH" on signal loss to "hover." Its in the settings. That way if you loose connection under the bridge, your Mavic won't fly up and smash into the under side of the bridge trying to RTH.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne