DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware v01.03.0000 Compass Error.

do you know of any screen logger ? so i can record what's been shown on the ipad . it looks like i'm a fool and that it didn't happen , but i'm not stupid.

i had the message 4 times !

i even went to the sensors tab , and it showed 100% that Compass 1 wasn't working due to an IMU error and it switched to Compass 2.

yes, 100% . as you can see i am making straight lines , everytime speeding up from 0 to 60km/ . I had the compass error EVERYTIME i came above 55km/h . Oddly i can't see it either. You know when you go into the dji app , you can relook at the flight that you were doing , the flight records . It wasn't on there. I've had other flights where it was recorded.

Very strange.
Can you provide the .txt for this flight? The one you submitted to HD. Since it has the .txt extension it can be attached to a post.

uuh , i have the HD uploader , it does that automatically .

this is todays' flight :
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

if you tell me where to find the txt, i'll get you that .

r if you want , take a look at this one , here is one where it did show up on HD .

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Most of the interesting stuff that exists in the .txt isn't included in the HD output. You could look at HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters for help on seeing how to extract the .txt

Reactions: germ
Reactions: germ
done testing the mavic replacement, 70km/s no compass error and yes theres a warning max motor reach. if the compass error always appears it definitely unit error. Go for replacement like mine.

Reactions: Mr Spock
i got an answer from DJI now regarding the compass problem in Sport mode :

Dear Sir,

there will be a Firmware Update to fix this bug. You have two options. You can wait until the update will be available ( I don't have a date when this will be), or I can forward it to the Netherlands for an exchange. For that I need this Info:

Sounds promising. So seems DJI are happy the underlying fix is good and working. All the reports of the message occurring confirms to them the process works. So next firmware they will simply mask the compass reversion message and everybody will be happy.

Sounds promising. So seems DJI are happy the underlying fix is good and working. All the reports of the message occurring confirms to them the process works. So next firmware they will simply mask the compass reversion message and everybody will be happy.
This was my concern as well.

Just tested the downgraded firmware. and the craft /compass looked alot more stable . no errors happened and compass 1 and 2 was giving back data in the green.

Any one has any update on this, is this a HW issue then? Do all Mavic SKUs that where build up to a date suffer from it? The FW fix is it a workaround that makes the drone fly with one compass only during high speed sports mode so you loose compass redundancy for that time during interfrence? Or is this a good permanent fix ?
A friend of mine told me DJI wrote on the support chat to him that all Mavic Pros that where previously produced have an issue and its in the HW. Also i belive i read here that another user was told that it is a cabling issue with some Mavics?
Today i will test sport mode after the the latest upgrade and see if i get the error too but in the past i did 70km/h with the previous FW and had no issues.
I guess i am trying to understand if i will need to send mine back to DJI for a swap or not.

Reactions: mathew thomas
Thanks to BudWalker for the awesome engineering level assessment of the issue and the amazing DatCon! I confirmed my Mavic has the same issue. If I fly in non-sport mode with collision avoidance on (20 Mph) I never have an issue. If I enabled sport mode and go full stick, I will get the compass redundancy warning and it switches to compass 2 fairly quickly. Once the switch is made, all is good... until I power cycle.

So a very simple firmware fix from DJI would be to just simply remember the compass selection through power cycles. This would allow the bad event / warning to happen only once. From then on most people would never know there is an issue and it would stick with the good compass (2). However, if compass 2 did crap out, the firmware could switch back to compass 1 and as long as you didn't fly "fast", you could limp home with compass 1. I would be very happy with this solution if it's in a future release. The annoying part right now is that each power-on I start with compass 1, and have to make it switch to 2 with some fast flying.

It's entirely possible that the compass redundancy build into DJI drones is more of a safety feature against electrical interference / EMI issues that crop up based on build or component changes later. (such as we are seeing here) This may be more of a real threat than the compass randomly dying in the field and needing to switch, which I suspect is very rare and "tolerable" in a non-military product.

So a very simple firmware fix from DJI would be to just simply remember the compass selection through power cycles. This would allow the bad event / warning to happen only once. From then on most people would never know there is an issue and it would stick with the good compass (2). However, if compass 2 did crap out, the firmware could switch back to compass 1 and as long as you didn't fly "fast", you could limp home with compass 1. I would be very happy with this solution if it's in a future release. The annoying part right now is that each power-on I start with compass 1, and have to make it switch to 2 with some fast flying.
Scrappy, sounds like a simple idea but it might not improve things. My bet is DJI have a good reason (unknown to us) for to sticking with Compass 1 as the primary and switching when required instead of simply swapping the order to 2 - 1.

I've also seen reports of updating via the assistant has cleared the error for some mavic users .. obviously this needs testing

By reverting back to the old firmware and then updating again . Doing both controller and craft

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Spock
I've also seen reports of updating via the assistant has cleared the error for some mavic users .. obviously this needs testing

By reverting back to the old firmware and then updating again . Doing both controller and craft
Yes a friend of mine did the same thing and he has no issues now.
I will try too.
1. DJI assistant: restore firmware update,
2. imu callibration
3. gibmal calibration,
4. reset camera settings,
5. compass calibration
Is what he did but he had multiple issues including the spots mode compass issue and is all fixed now he reports.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman