DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Bird

David Berger

Reactions
After looking at hundred's of listings, YouTube videos, forum posts etc., I still have not figured out what to get for my first drone. I have been looking at used Pro's and Platinum's. The theory I hear is to buy something less expensive and upgrade down the road. Really would rather spend a little more up front and learn slowly and carefully than to have to go through buying something less and having to resell at a loss than to buy something more expensive that I can use for much longer. Is the Pro practical to learn on?

...Is the Pro practical to learn on?
The MP/MPP is a great machine but buying used is the problem. If you find one that has not had a "hard landing" you need to inspect the batteries for signs of swelling. You can also see how many charge cycles are listed in Go 4 for each battery. I see Best Buy is selling them for $96 so if you need replacements it will definitely add to the cost of ownership.

Is the Pro practical to learn on?
Sure. If you read the instructions very closely and maybe watch a few youtube videos, about the only difference between each model are features and the cost of a crash. IMO DJI products are fairly easy to fly as compared to something like a racing drone and I've found most people don't have issues learning to fly something like a Mavic. But as with other hobbies, some people jump into a purchase and find out down the road it isn't a hobby they want to be in. I don't use my MP nearly as often as when I first bought in 2017. A lot of spots I had dreamed about flying at are off limits for one reason or another. I still haul it to capture unique images where possible and the Mavic Pro is still a really good camera platform. One issue I have with DJI is how they make each model specific and how parts don't interchange with different models. Will DJI sell MP batteries during the next few years? What about the Crystal Sky monitor I sunk a bunch of money into? Another 3 year old product to fade into obsolescence? And with the new uncertain FAA ID system coming... I'm going to wait to upgrade any time soon. Being my MP has survived hitting the ground and operates like day one, I figure it will still be around for the next 3 years and if ID goes into place as described, I'll cross that line when it happens. The Mavic Air-2 would probably be a good choice as it's set up for ID, and while the MP might be upgradable, I'd think the Air-2 will be an easier sell in 3 years.

Reactions: gizmosforall
Thanks for the reply. Totally agree with you about the pitfalls of buying used and the need for thorough inspections whether it's a car, motorcycle or a drone. Will definitely check batteries. How is it for learning? Would it be that much more difficult than say a Mini? Hopefully the avoidance feature would help. I plan to not worry about things like video until after many hours of hands on flying. Would also like to find an experienced pilot to work with.

Sure. If you read the instructions very closely and maybe watch a few youtube videos, about the only difference between each model are features and the cost of a crash. IMO DJI products are fairly easy to fly as compared to something like a racing drone and I've found most people don't have issues learning to fly something like a Mavic. But as with other hobbies, some people jump into a purchase and find out down the road it isn't a hobby they want to be in. I don't use my MP nearly as often as when I first bought in 2017. A lot of spots I had dreamed about flying at are off limits for one reason or another. I still haul it to capture unique images where possible and the Mavic Pro is still a really good camera platform. One issue I have with DJI is how they make each model specific and how parts don't interchange with different models. Will DJI sell MP batteries during the next few years? What about the Crystal Sky monitor I sunk a bunch of money into? Another 3 year old product to fade into obsolescence? And with the new uncertain FAA ID system coming... I'm going to wait to upgrade any time soon. Being my MP has survived hitting the ground and operates like day one, I figure it will still be around for the next 3 years and if ID goes into place as described, I'll cross that line when it happens. The Mavic Air-2 would probably be a good choice as it's set up for ID, and while the MP might be upgradable, I'd think the Air-2 will be an easier sell in 3 years.
Thanks. Many good points that need to be taken in consideration. Things change rapidly sometimes. Spent a ton of money on flying then suddenly could no longer pass my flight medical so wound up selling off a lot of gear cheap. At least I never bought that Piper Warrior I was thinking about ;).

...How is it for learning? Would it be that much more difficult than say a Mini? Hopefully the avoidance feature would help. I plan to not worry about things like video until after many hours of hands on flying...
You don't really fly either the MP or the Mini, you just direct them. They are GPS stabilized so if you let go of the sticks they stop, hover, and wait for your next direction. I have not flown a Mini but will hazard a guess that it is no more difficult to fly than the MP. Due to all the trees in your location, I would chose the MP over the Mini for the OcuSync communications. The Mini uses WiFi that may have more problems with trees.

Do not count on any anti-collision system to save you. A lot of crashes are caused by flying sideways or backward into a tree while the pilot is watching the display.

You are wise to concentrate on flying first, video later. I would also watch crash videos on YouTube to learn from the mistakes of others.

All DJI products fly very easily, so it is just a matter of how comfortable you are putting more money up in the air. If you take the time to learn proper flying techniques and fly safely, there is no reason why you shouldn't get the drone you want from the get go. If you would like, feel free to shoot us a message and we'd be happy to answer any questions you have and see about getting you into the right set up for you. Plus, provide on going support for you once you have your drone to make sure you are successful.

Thanks,
FDS Team

Reactions: pelagic_one
My first drone was a Mavic 1 Pro and I thought I'd rather get a drone that does what I want than work my way up, I've never crashed it or the Mavic 2 Pro I've bought since then. Most crashes are avoidable and there's a good guide here to read through:

Getting plenty of practice in wide open areas away from any obstacles and being aware of any potential issues and how to deal with them should mean your avoid most of the potential problems.

My first drone was the Mavic pro when they first released those. Buy what you want but when you do take your time and learn it no different than any other drone. Too many people out there like to think they can just charge the batteries and the RC and takeoff. Since then I have purchased the inspire and I now have the new Mavic 2 zoom. I have never had one crash or any mishaps in over four years. These drones pretty much fly themselves. If you use common sense and get to know that drone you should never have a problem.

My first drone was a Mavic 1 Pro and I thought I'd rather get a drone that does what I want than work my way up, I've never crashed it or the Mavic 2 Pro I've bought since then. Most crashes are avoidable and there's a good guide here to read through:

Getting plenty of practice in wide open areas away from any obstacles and being aware of any potential issues and how to deal with them should mean your avoid most of the potential problems.
As they say, "practice makes perfect".

Sounds like you're doing the right thing- I was tempted to go for the more expensive as it's been a dream for a while but I opted for the "buy what I can afford and upgrade if I'm still yearning for more down the line".
As said above, the AI makes up for a lot in DJI drones but there's still an awful lot of practice with the controls, adjusting the yaw/gimbal whilst shooting video etc. Think I've watched every YT video and read so much my brain will burst but until you get the controller in your hands and your own drone in the sky, nothing can prepare you for the feeling!
When I was growing up, you'd always get a crappy first car as you know you'll inadvertently hit something through learning- same principle with the drones in my book. Got the DJI repair/refresh as added peace of mind. If I'm still hungry for more in a year or so, I'll look at upgrading.
Really depends on your budget, if you need to fly in windy areas, and if you need 4k etc- the mini is more than enough for me and I can learn about exposures/shutter speeds in my own time... But with all of them, it's practice practice practice and flying to your abilities. Took me 3 flights to get above 30m, and 7 to get above 100m because all the horror stories of wind and flyaways scared me a little too much!
Hope that helps/doesn't confuse you even more!!!

After looking at hundred's of listings, YouTube videos, forum posts etc., I still have not figured out what to get for my first drone. I have been looking at used Pro's and Platinum's. The theory I hear is to buy something less expensive and upgrade down the road. Really would rather spend a little more up front and learn slowly and carefully than to have to go through buying something less and having to resell at a loss than to buy something more expensive that I can use for much longer. Is the Pro practical to learn on?
If you are a new pilot buy something new from an authorized Dji dealer so you can get care refresh because the chances of crashing when you are new are fairly high then you will be covered for a new unit , twice actually repairs are expensive

If you are a new pilot buy something new from an authorized Dji dealer so you can get care refresh because the chances of crashing when you are new are fairly high then you will be covered for a new unit , twice actually repairs are expensive
Definitely looking into that. Do you know if Care Refresh is transferable?

Thanks. Being shut down for the Covid virus gives me a lot of time to think more about which way to go.

Don't wait!! The weather's great, the wind's are dropping (well, here in the UK), and normally "busy" areas are free of the crowds! Make the most of the freedom if you can and get some great practice in... on your daily exercise of course ;)

Reactions: Jet skier
Would also like to find an experienced pilot to work with.
When they let us out and about again, I would highly recommend you attend a drone group MeetUp event In your area, of which there are a few in the Boston area. They’re free events, have like-minded drone veteran flyers, as well as novice new-to-them owners. You may meet someone selling a really good Mavic, just because he/she is upgrading. You’ll then have plenty of experienced pilots to show you best practices.

Do you know if Care Refresh is transferable?
DJI Care Refresh is transferable since it is tied to the drone’s serial number. So if you know a prospective drone’s serial number, you can look up its Care Refresh status on the DJI website here.

Don't wait!! The weather's great, the wind's are dropping (well, here in the UK), and normally "busy" areas are free of the crowds! Make the most of the freedom if you can and get some great practice in... on your daily exercise of course ;)
I just came back from Florida so technically I'm still under a two week quarantine.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy