DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight/First Video Edit Attempt

svickstc

Reactions
Hey everyone,

Here is some footage from one of my first flights on a gloomy windy day.

This is also my first attempt at any type of video editing and man do I need some practice, spent a few hours in the program trying to just learn things as I mess with them and this is what I came out with.

I need to get some more clips so I can practice getting cuts to line up with music transitions, but all in time I suppose.

Appreciate any feedback

Last edited:
Really good for a first effort. Slow and steady flying straight paths is always a good idea. More clips and better syncopation like you mentioned will build your editing skills. You are shooting in D-Log and color grading as well ?

Reactions: svickstc
Nice first attempt. As has been said, more clips, play around with transformations. Most important of all in my humble opinion is colour grading. Just keep at it :)

Really good for a first effort. Slow and steady flying straight paths is always a good idea. More clips and better syncopation like you mentioned will build your editing skills. You are shooting in D-Log and color grading as well ?

The weather has been tough around here lately, and my first "true" flights I was just learning the drone no video capture etc. This was my first true flight at filming and decided to D-Log shoot this and tried manually color grading but used a built in LUT for most of the footage. I need to work on transition flows, timing etc but only had limited time so far in the software.

It was a little overwhelming to even get this far in the process, but now I feel more confident in at least the pure basic ideas of how it works and can begin to really experiment and mess around once I get more footage. Also need to learn the mavic pros setting much more and play around with some ND filters.

I appreciate the kind words

Hey everyone,

This is also my first attempt at any type of video editing and man do I need some practice, spent a few hours in the program trying to just learn things as I mess with them and this is what I came out with.

I need to get some more clips so I can practice getting cuts to line up with music transitions, but all in time I suppose

Appreciate any feedback

Nice work. I hate to think what my first would look like. Love the music choice.

Reactions: ConAir and svickstc
Check out the DLOG to Rec 107 luts that DJI provides specifically for the Mavic Pro or Pro 2. That is a great starting LUT to apply first before adding creative LUTs to the footage as well.

Check out the DLOG to Rec 107 luts that DJI provides specifically for the Mavic Pro or Pro 2. That is a great starting LUT to apply first before adding creative LUTs to the footage as well.

Thanks for the heads up didnt even know about the DJI LUT I’ll have to load that up tonight!

Hey everyone,

I need to get some more clips so I can practice getting cuts to line up with music transitions, but all in time I suppose.

Appreciate any feedback

You’re way ahead of me in video editing, and I have more than 40 flights. I don’t know why video editing seems so daunting to me. I’ve edited thousands of RAW still shots. I hope my first edit is anywhere near as good as yours.

You’re way ahead of me in video editing, and I have more than 40 flights. I don’t know why video editing seems so daunting to me. I’ve edited thousands of RAW still shots. I hope my first edit is anywhere near as good as yours.

Thank you so much for those kind words. I pick up on anything computer related pretty well, but really just spent a good 7 hours in the program just going through everything I could messing with a bunch of clips, once I did that I tried making a "project" and missed a lot of marks on this attempt, but was happy to where I got from starting with no knowledge to share. Trust me it was very daunting to me at first and maybe for the first literal 10 mins I just looked at this blank not very intuitive program (at first) pretty much with a blank stare

I plan to just spend as much time honing some things down in terms of flow and process in the coming (hopefully nice weather) months now that I have some confidence in flight and drone controls and maybe show some progress in my videos

Reactions: W2EJ
Hey everyone,

Appreciate any feedback

Thats Hot for your 1st...

With some bad weather on the horizon for what looks to be the next week, I had to grab a few more clips to try and spend that down time messing around in Final Cut, and been wanting to learn how to create that Speed ramp effect ,and figured it out, short clip but just another trick to learn to throw into some videos

Last edited:
Reactions: Snoopy2020

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark