DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First timers how has your experience been so far?

I only have the zoom but have been quite impressed with the video quality so far. I'm getting hooked on this drone, another expensive hobby I don't need!

Quick sunset clip above my house:

Reactions: Wacker2611
Looks fantastic. I think the Zoom’s being underrated over the Pro. People keep referring to it as inferior, it’s just different[emoji4]

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
So I went to the beach today, despite the winds being up, to try and get some footage of the channel/river mouth. I ended up aborting the mission after 25% battery as birds kept attacking the drone!

I had two instances where the obstacle avoidance triggered 100m above the ocean and I was panicking because there were people on the beach so I couldn't fly back over land.

When I brought the drone back it was hit twice by birds swooping it, luckily it took it like a champ and landed fine.
Do any of you guys have any tips to reduce the attention of birds? Does flying higher or anything like that help? The birds in Australia seem to be more aggressive than I recall noting anywhere else (people riding push bikes wear helmets with cable ties sticking out of the top!).

Last edited:
Here's a quick vid of the second bird strike. The first one wasn't visible on camera but I heard it as I was bringing the drone in to land. It's only 1080p as I processed it from my phone.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
I too am a first time drone user. Mavic 2p. I have never played computer games using a hand held controller so the whole controller thing is new to me.

My first few flights were very simple and I was worried that I would crash (I did have some birds chase it away but that’s to be expected)

I've tried to use it for every day for the 3 weeks I've had it and I'm petrified that if it crashes over water then that’s it for me. got about 20 hrs on it so far

So all of my flights have been over dry land and in the past few days I've been flying it like a dive bombing plane, ie flying straight flat out and swooping down to about 2m agl.

I got a bit cocky and dropped it to about a m agl and when I went to raise it again, I got the controls mixed up and lowered it - it crashed on the beach in hard sand. More of a skidding type landing . just cleaned off the sand and went back to the basics for 20mins or so to make sure it still did what it was supposed to.

So far so good

I cant get over how much fun these things are.

Yup when you first get one they are absolutely wondrous aren’t they? As far as flying over water, you’ll get over it. If you think about it it’s actually by far the safest environment and, assuming you are diligent, the chance of you losing it is absolutely tiny.

Last edited:
Yup when you first get one they are absolutely wondrous aren’t they? As far as flying over water, you’ll get over it. If you think about it it’s actually by far the safest environment and, assuming you are diligent, the chance of you losing it is absolutely tiny.

Agreed. It still feels more scary for me but if it comes down from 150ft in the air onto land I would imagine it would be about as useful as if it's at the bottom of the ocean!

I tried another coastal adventure today and had to give up again on account of the bloody birds. They didn't hit the drone this time but looked like they wanted. They chased it up and down for 2Km's until I landed it and left, it's giving me the *****!

Here's a quick vid of the second bird strike. The first one wasn't visible on camera but I heard it as I was bringing the drone in to land. It's only 1080p as I processed it from my phone.

On two separate occasions I've had humming birds curious about my Zoom. They approached and backed off.

Well i go take my 107 next tuesday, im so excited! [emoji1408]‍[emoji3575][emoji3060]

Great, I love it.

a few hiccups with the firmware upgrade but all good
I have a check list system that I go thru everyfight which included rth.
I was really tentative at first but once I got the hang of the controller, I started combining several actions at once to give the cinematic view that we all long for.

I watched heaps of youtube tutorials and slowly took it further and further.

I am full time travelling around Australia and currently on a tropical beach in Qld. I was doing the ‘dive bomber’ move fast and faster and kept about 1m agl. I intended to go up but I pushed the controller down and the ‘voice inside my head’ said “landing”.

The drone skidded to a halt from 50 kmh in the sand. Luckily no damage.

Just need to concentrate more.
Anyway, did I tell you that I love the thing?

I've had a couple of go4 disengagements but pressed rth and all went well

My biggest problem is that it takes up a lot of time on a daily basis and I have to juggle my ‘photography business’ with the flying

Btw, did I tell you that I love it

Zero issues and a thousand smiles so far, it’s been perfect from outta the box and never misses a beat. I’m even considering getting the zoom to go with the pro for the extra options it brings.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
New M2P here; had it about four days, three (short) flights. I live in Portland OR, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of legitimate flight areas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife