DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Distance

Higher: for good signal reception/distance, trees, 2 story homes, other tall building will reduce signal range.

Lower/;, because winds can/tend to be higher at higher altitudes. If you are coming home, and fighting a headwind, and battery is running low, drop altitude to hopefully get into slower moving air/wind. BUT be mindful of obstacles blocking your signal.

As my rule, on distance runs, I always try to start out going into the wind, that way, I have a tailwind coming home.

You should be fine

I live near an industrial park in the suburbs on Long Island wifi and Other frequency all over I get about 14500 ft and I'm still good

Is that completely stock ? That is still boggling since I can barely get 5000' on a beach / over marshland. Max ever was about 6,800' in near perfect conditions before the video feed almost lost: with shifting around the antenna's and moving to make sure it was always pointed properly.

Higher: for good signal reception/distance, trees, 2 story homes, other tall building will reduce signal range.

Lower/;, because winds can/tend to be higher at higher altitudes. If you are coming home, and fighting a headwind, and battery is running low, drop altitude to hopefully get into slower moving air/wind. BUT be mindful of obstacles blocking your signal.

As my rule, on distance runs, I always try to start out going into the wind, that way, I have a tailwind coming home.

Great !

It sounds fun, and is doable, but make sure you get a lot of flights under your belt before you try it. And read here as well.

Do you have links to specific articles? It was only my 2nd time flying today, and I had the Mavic out, for sure within a 1 km radius of the home point when signal was lost between the drone and the RC. I was flying over a construction site (at a height of between 100-120m) where a new stadium complex is being built. I grew very nervous when this occured, but thankfully the drone's intelligence kicked in and RTH saved the day. When this happened though...my first thought was..."7 km my ***!" I was well within 1 km when this happened and really don't know why. The place I took off from was my school's sports field, and the construction site of the stadium is ion the land next to the school's.

Do you have links to specific articles?

I'm too lazy. If you use the search function and maybe use "range" as one of the key words, you'll see #'s all over the place. For the most part, people with issues are in foreign (outside the US) countries where the controller is specifically limited in its power, or simple things like not having beginner's mode turned off or having "stuff" in the way between the controller and the Mavic itself.

Did you have line of sight between the controller and the Mavic, or were there trees, equipment or anything else int he way? Did you have the antennae in the right orientation (the flat side of them facing the Mavic)? Both are needed for good range.

I'm too lazy. If you use the search function and maybe use "range" as one of the key words, you'll see #'s all over the place. For the most part, people with issues are in foreign (outside the US) countries where the controller is specifically limited in its power, or simple things like not having beginner's mode turned off or having "stuff" in the way between the controller and the Mavic itself.

Did you have line of sight between the controller and the Mavic, or were there trees, equipment or anything else int he way? Did you have the antennae in the right orientation (the flat side of them facing the Mavic)? Both are needed for good range.
Okay, well I am in China - DJI is a Chinese company - the products are very popular here - I'm skeptical to go with the first reason (controller being limited in its power). Beginner's mode was turned off, and I don't think there was any stuff in the way. I flew it at a height of between 100-120m, and the sky between where I was and where the Mavic was was unobstructed. Without binoculars unfortunately I didn't have it visible to my naked eyes (I think it was simply too high). The antennae were facing the right direction.

Last edited:
The limited power might be only Europe. It sounds like everything else was good. Hmm, I don't know what would have limited the range so much. Sorry.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569