DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly app crashes all the time on my Galaxy 9+ phone

mraroid

Reactions
Hi folks....

I am new to drones. I have a Mavic Mini Fly More kit.

I flew the mini a few times in my house. The DJI Fly app on my Samsung Galaxy 9+ phone would often crash. As I was indoors, I thought that was the issue - maybe bad WiFi.

Today I drove out to a open field and tried to fly outside for the first time. Take off and flying around a little bit worked just fine. But when i hit the button to come back home, in the DJI Fly app, the app would crash. I would launch the app again, and again hit the button. It would crash again. This went on and on. I tried it maybe 8 times. All 8 times the app would crash. I thought that maybe my fat fingers were not hitting the return to home icon in exactly the correct place. I have a stylus with my phone, so I used that so I could hit exactly where I was suppose to. No luck. Being new, I panicked and was not sure how to get the drone back. It was maybe 400 feet away from me, and about 100 ft in the sky. Then I remembered that the remote had a hardware button on it to make the mini come back and land. So I pressed that, and the drone came back and landed correctly.

My Samsung Galaxy 9+ is with T-Mobile. I am running the latest software from them. I have a 256 GB SD card in my phone and it is mostly empty. My phone was about 90 % charged up when I started flying. As far as I know, I do not have any other issues with my phone. I did do a virus scan just in case, and it came up with nothing.

Before I took off, I looked at the transmission in the Fly app. It showed 3 very shot red bars. And it showed one green bar that was maybe 4 times as tall as the extremely shot red bars. I had a total of two green bars. The other green bar was just slightly taller then all the red very shot bars.

I thought this might be what was causing the app to fail. However, when i hit the hardware button on the remote, it worked just fine and the drone returned to me.

Is the area that I was flying in, with little WiFi signal, causing the app to crash? If this is the case, why did the hardware button work, when the software "return to home" button did not, and why did the app crash?

I sort of know antennas, so I am good about pointing the antennas correctly at the drone. I have watched a few You Tube videos on how to point the antennas correctly. The remove was fully charged when I started flying and the battery in the drone was at about 97% charged and I did not fly more then 15 minutes or so.

I am so new, that I suspect I am doing something really stupid. I would appreciate any feed back.

Is any one else having this problem?

Thanks so much,

mraroid

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I fly all the time with a Galaxy Note 9 and I've never had a problem with the Go Fly software. That being said, I do occasionally have issues with other programs closing down unexpectedly, and it's always traced to a conflict with another app on the phone. You may try uninstalling as many other apps as possible until the program responds correctly. Then you can add apps back one at a time to determine which one is causing the conflict.

Reactions: pescobar61
I tried to un install apps that I do not use. But Android said it was part of the operating system and it did not let me un install them. I have manually installed two apps that were not on the phone when I bought it. I installed Firefox and the DJI Fly app. I have un installed Firefox.

I will give it another go tomorrow and see if that cleared up my problem. I will report back after that flight. Thanks for the help.
mraroid

If you have a tablet or even another phone you can borrow for a quick test you might try that as well. It only takes a minute to install and uninstall the app, so grab a friends phone, load it up and see if the problem still exists.

If you have a tablet or even another phone you can borrow for a quick test you might try that as well. It only takes a minute to install and uninstall the app, so grab a friends phone, load it up and see if the problem still exists.

Great tip. I do not have another phone or tablet. My fried is vising me next week and she has a Apple phone. I can try that.

mraroid

Thought I’d jump in because I hate to hear of a grounded Mini: Might you have tried uninstalling DJI Fly app, power cycling the Galaxy 9+, then reinstalling DJI Fly? Not sure the reasoning behind that solution, but I heard from a flying buddy that he had to do that on a Galaxy Tab because of an unstable installation. The app crashed on him during certain actions, similar to your RTH screen touches.

I say this half jokingly, but on the bright side, you’re learning how to fly back to homepoint really well now! ;-)

I’m actually hoping you got it all sorted out yourself, and that your out flying!

Hello pelagic_one.... Thank you for the help. Great idea. I will try that today. I probably can not fly outside until tomorrow. So I will try your idea tomorrow and report back.

I was unable to fly outside yesterday as it was raining and the wind was blowing. I did do some flying in my house after I removed Firefox from my phone. That did not help. I still had the same issue when I pressed the return to home button on my phone - the app crashed and closed. But the return to home button worked on my controller. The DJI Fly app on my phone seems to work other then that. But I am new and have not tried out most of the things that the app can do.

I wish someone else here had a Samsung Galaxy 9+ phone and could report the experience they have had. I know that the Android OS updates get pushed out at different times depending on which cell phone provider you have. My provider is T Mobile. So other Samsung Galaxy 9+ phones may be running one version of the OS updats slighty newer or older then I am. I have not had my cell phone very long. I have not had any other issues with it. I have not had any other apps crash, but then again, I have only installed Firefox and the DJI Fly app.

Thanks again for the good tip. I will uninstall the DJI Fly app, then shut down my phone. Then I will boot it again, then shut it down again. Then I will boot it again, then then install the DJI Fly app again and see what happens.

mraroid

I un installed the DJI Fly app and then re booted my phone. Then I installed it again. All went well. I had to log into DJI again in the app.

I took the MM out to a open field to test. This time, the app would crash (crash and then close) when I tried to use the launch button. I tried about 3 or 4 times, and about 1/2 the time the launch button would crash the app, and about 1/2 the time the launch app would work. I used my stylus to make sure my fat fingers were not hitting any thing else on the screen.

I also had the same issue as before where the app would crash every time when I hit the return to home button. The only way I could get the MM to return home was to press the hardware button on the controller.

I had not experienced any other issues in the past with other functions in the Fly app, but I had used very few. So this time, I tried to use more functions in the fly app once I was in the air. I found I could open all the options in the menus just fine. I could switch the drone from P to C and S mode. I could select the video mode, and turn the camera on and off. I could change the camera settings and lock the exposure.

I need to do more testing to be sure, but for now, the app will only crash (crash and then close) when I hit the button in the app to launch or come home.

When the app crashes, it closes instantly. I hit the button to come back home, and instantly, the app closes. The app will not linger, it will just shut down extremely fast. I can launch the app again, and it will always launch.

I have been searching for other users of the Samsung Galaxy 9+ phone, but have not found any. I might try putting my cell phone in Airplane mode next time I fly.

Can anyone think of something else I could try? I am sure glad I can launch and come home by just using the controller.

Thanks all for the many suggestions.

mraroid

Update...

I switched my phone to Airplane mode and made some flights. Same issue - the DJI Fly app would crash instantly when I would press the button on the phone to come home. It will also crash (but intermittently) when I push the button to take off. The hardware controls in the controller will always work. What things I have used so far in the DJI Fly app all work but for the take off and come home buttons.

My friend with a Apple 8 phone came to visit me. I installed the DJI Fly app on her Apple phone and took the Mavic Mine for some short flights. The take off and return to home buttons on her apple phone worked every time. So that makes me think I have no issues with my drone hardware, or the controler hardware. Also, the current firmware and software version of the Fly app for the Mavic Mine have no issue at all when using a Apple phone.

I am now ready to give up.

I hope someone here who is using a Samsung Galaxy 9+ will find this post and let me know what they are experiencing. My cell phone provider is T-Mobile. Different cell phone providers push out updates at different times. So another Samsung Galaxy 9+ user who has, say ATT for example, may be running a slightly different OS than I am running.

It could be that a OS update on my phone or a DJI Fly app update may solve this problem. For what it is worth, here are the version numbers of the OS software on my phone (as of late February 2020).

1) One UI Version - 1.0
2) Android Version - 9
3) Baseband Version -G965U1UES7CSK2
4) Kernel Version - 4.9.112-17018887, #2 Tue Nov 26th 17:36:20 KST 2019
5) Build Number - PPR1.180610.011 G965U1UES7CSK2
6) SE for Android Status - Enforcing, SEPF_SM-G965U1_9_0012, Tus Nov 26 17:07:04 2019
7) Knox Version - Knox 3.2.1, Knox API Level 27, TIMA 4.0.0
8) Android Security Patch Level - December 1, 2019

As long as I use the controler buttons to take off and return to home, I think all the other things in the Fly app for the mavic mini work. I have not used every single thing yet, but so far, all work.

I will update this post if I find out anything different, or if T-Mobil updates my phone sofware. I will also update this post if DJI updates the DJI app or isues a firmware update.

mraroid in Salem Oregon, USA

Reactions: Zeke
Sounds like you've had a nightmare with your drone, I'm having similar-ish issues. I'm using a Samsung galaxy s8+
I did a mini range test on my local park hoping to get around 600meters then come home, the drone got to around 750mèters when it lost signal this caused the RTH protocol to flash on the screen before the phone completely reboots, I pressed the RTH button on the controller and wait....... after 2minutes hyperventilating and cursing I managed to reopen the app and see my mini returning home like a loyal hound! So disaster averted when I got home I realized my footage was lost. I'm guessing we are all in the dark about this I'm assuming it's down to android software development issues I'm going to try iPhone tonight and see what happens in the same test
I'll try and keep you posted

I have a Galaxy S8, and initially had similar issues when I tapped the screens 'soft' RTH button, the DJI Fly App would disappear. I realised after a few repeats and panics, that it was simply too hard a tap, and it was also engaging the soft 'Home' button of the Android screen running underneath the Fly App; It being directly underneath the RTH soft button in the Fly App. Now, if I just tap the Fly App RTH button softly, it works fine... most times.

Good afternoon guys!

Have been experiencing the same issues with my Galaxy S9+ followed all the guidelines here andthey haven't worked, missed out and amazing sunset yesterday evening in eastern Canada and got really angry when I couldn't even get the DJI load screen to come up.

I've decided to access the App through settings, Apps, went into the app's setting et cleared data + cache, rebooted my phone, opened DJI Fly, just had to download the app's partitions, log-in and it works like a charm!

Sounds like you've had a nightmare with your drone, I'm having similar-ish issues. I'm using a Samsung galaxy s8+
I did a mini range test on my local park hoping to get around 600meters then come home, the drone got to around 750mèters when it lost signal this caused the RTH protocol to flash on the screen before the phone completely reboots, I pressed the RTH button on the controller and wait....... after 2minutes hyperventilating and cursing I managed to reopen the app and see my mini returning home like a loyal hound! So disaster averted when I got home I realized my footage was lost. I'm guessing we are all in the dark about this I'm assuming it's down to android software development issues I'm going to try iPhone tonight and see what happens in the same test
I'll try and keep you posted
Im having a similar problem with my Note 8. I get a connection lost error and then a few seconds later my phone crashes and restarts. Im thinking its something to do with the reconnection actions its trying as it happened when i manually changed wifi channel to use.
Did you try iPhone... have you had the same problem?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure