DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway last night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. As a new owner I flew in beginner mode for the first month I think. Just me and an open soccer field for weeks. Probably over cautious but the wife would kill me if I had to buy a replacement :)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Very smart idea...but don't be too scared by some of these horror stories about the Mavic "flying away". As you start to read the threads that involve the "fly away" Mavics, you'll begin to notice a common theme between all of them. I'll stop there and let you figure out the rest.

Runaway train was a crappy 80's movie. Don't bring Mavic down to it's level ;)

Flyaway is a pseudonym for Im a noob who first flew mavic on sport mode towards a cell tower, without calibrating the compass or IMU, ended up in ATTI mode with no RC signal, panicked and now don't have a drone.

Runaway train was a crappy 80's movie, and as such is not allowed either ;P

You do know that you are not actually meant to calibrate the Compass and IMU right? Well I would calibrate the compass out the box and if moving a few hundred miles but the IMU is a definite no no unless you are experiencing repetitive flight issues or if the app prompts you to.

What was that about noobs? lol ;):D

This is for all the haters ...keep hating

Thanks for your patience.

For the incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis.

We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon for the item linked below from our online store:
Mavic pro with charger and remote

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

See, you keep saying that, but us "haters" aren't the ones being mongs with how we fly. It's actually a shame you got it back, your attitude seems to indicate you've learnt nothing at all

Also, wouldn't be posting that last bit online, would be a real shame if someone were to dob you in to dji scamming them...

Reactions: Garyr2973
Kids....the point is experts , like you believe you are , couldn't fly a defective drone. Rather then be part of the problem why don't you offer solutions. You're the experts. Anyone over thirty must be a noob. How do you know ? because you're the expert, the only select chosen few who just know all there is to know. Really nothing more than a diplomat without a passport.

This is going South fast...

In OP defense DJI did admit was drone fault not operator according to post #43.

Glad you got your drone back.

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

Compass might have been defective but you should have been able to fly back anyway, it's Atti mode, not lock out mode

You're the one making the claims, getting all defensive because you know you're in the wrong. No one said old people are noobs, no one has claimed to be experts, you're the one making the claims.

You want solutions?
Go buy a cheap drone that doesnt have GPS
Go fly in open fields
Don't fly at night
Don't rely on RTH to save you because you're not aware of where the craft is

You know, simple regulations that I'm sure are in place. By just ignoring them you've shown us you're really not ready to fly, by getting all upset when these issues are raised shows us you're not ready to fly

Lose the chip off your shoulder

I wonder how everyone's tune would be if it turned out this wayward mavic injured someone, would you all still be supportive and ignore the poor flying practices? I think not, at least I don't sugar coat it

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
Hmmm. Kind of puzzled by the flight log. The Mavic went into and stayed in ATTI mode even when the Mavic was still in contact with about 16 or 17 satellites. I thought that the Mavic or any other drone loses GPS when it fails to maintain contact with a minimum number of satellites (around 5 or 6?). So what's causing the Mavic to lose GPS when it's still in contact with so many satellites?

Compass might have been defective but you should have been able to fly back anyway, it's Atti mode, not lock out mode

At first I thought that it shouldn't be too difficult to fly my Mavic back from a mile or so away if it suddenly lost GPS and went into ATTI mode since I would have a general idea of where it was and would still have access to the Mavic's video camera and my knowledge of thr terrain (assuming that I'm familiar with the area) to fly back using landmarks. But then I realiized that there may be significant winds at the altitude of the Mavic. I think that that could greatly complicate matters. Imagine suddenly losing GPS and frantically trying to figure out the current course and heading of the Mavic by looking at the direction and speed that ground moving is moving when looking at the Mavic's video return. Could be quite a challenge especially under the stress of knowing that the seconds are ticking by as your Mavic's batteries are draining and the wind is blowing it away and you need to act quickly.

Hmmm. Kind of puzzled by the flight log. The Mavic went into and stayed in ATTI mode even when the Mavic was still in contact with about 16 or 17 satellites. I thought that the Mavic or any other drone loses GPS when it fails to maintain contact with a minimum number of satellites (around 5 or 6?). So what's causing the Mavic to lose GPS when it's still in contact with so many satellites?
Number of satellites isn't always an indication of good lock, the HDOP value (the geometry of the satellite constellation it can see) is
However it's most likely a conflict between the two compasses on what the heading should be which would make it switch to atti mode

Been there done that re loss of GPS, in fact thats what I would often fly in on scratch builds, practice is the key, old mate can improve if he learns on a non gps quad

Wow, lots of jerks on this thread. .

Glad you found it!

Don't feel bad about being a beginner, all the haters were beginners at one time, they just don't remember.

If pointing out poor flying practices makes me a jerk so be it, doesn't hurt my feelings

Yeah I was a beginner, least I followed common sense and regulations when I learnt to fly, don't support poor flying practices

Folks, is it really necessary to be so hateful? The OP was just looking for some help. So, why not give it your best for the guy or just move on? I would hate to be your son or daughter. Then again it is possible those spewing the most hate are just kids themselves.

There have been several incidents lately where gpsHealth dropped from 5 to 1 causing the switch to ATTI. That's probably what happened in your incident. gpsHealth is not the same as numSats. If you're using the .txt you can see this by using either TxtlogToCSVTool (look here) or CsvView/DatCon (look here). If you're using the .DAT then you'll need to use CsvView/DatCon.

Reactions: bakerboy
I would like to know if you had a controller connection to the Mavic? Yes or no?

If you did you should have been able to bring it back. If you didn't have a connection and lost telemetry then there was nothing you could have done in this situation.

Ignore the noise here. Drone Police get overzealous, it's a fact of the board.. so back to the issue that is critical. If it swapped to ATTI you should have been able to bring it back .. if you couldn't then you were flying outside your ability given the situation. If you think the wind was a factor in you losing it.. again you were flying outside your ability. There is no shame in that. Just set limits that are inline with your ability and your environment. I'm pretty good at the sticks but I never fly in winds over 18mph. Never go to the limits of VLOS when it's windy, cloudy and never over people. My advice would be to set some personal limits and practice. Absent information that this was a complete, uncontrolled flight (flyaway), you should have been able to get it back.

Reactions: erkme73
Ignore the noise here. Drone Police get overzealous, it's a fact of the board.. so back to the issue that is critical. If it swapped to ATTI you should have been able to bring it back .. if you couldn't then you were flying outside your ability given the situation.

I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to gain experience or "ability" in flying the Mavic in ATTI mode since there is no way of manually turning on that mode. As for gaining experience by flying "starter" drones with no GPS capability, yeah I've done that. Have tons of experience with watching the drone get blown away by even small winds because it didn't have the power to fight against such small winds and was limited to flying on relatively windless days. Face it: Unless one has access to a drone with the power of a Mavic AND one has the ability to manually switch the drone to an ATTI-like mode for training, there is effectively no way to gain actual experience or ability in flying in that mode.

Reactions: M4RK and chippie
Is it just me or do Mavic fly aways only happen to people that have never posted on these forums before and use incorrect terminology. This leads me to believe that they are only interested in learning to how to use the Mavic correctly after they lose it.
Seriously - chill out. Call it a flyaway, runaway, or just a really bad day! BTW - I have been flying Phantoms for a while now and tomorrow my Mavic is being delivered....yippeee!

Folks, is it really necessary to be so hateful? The OP was just looking for some help. So, why not give it your best for the guy or just move on? I would hate to be your son or daughter. Then again it is possible those spewing the most hate are just kids themselves.

My view exactly, if you have nothing constructive to add to help answer the OP's question then why waste your precious time answering at all. I also think you will find that the people dropping these comments are very new to the UAV world and having their Mavics for a few has made them experts. They tend to forget that they actually have no right to tell others how to fly, especially in the tone that they do. It is one thing giving out a little polite advice but it is another to flame someone with the hate that these posts come across in. It saddens me tbh. Still no one will ever change these people so my advice is to simply ignore them or report the post and ask a moderator to remove it.

My view exactly, if you have nothing constructive to add to help answer the OP's question then why waste your precious time answering at all. I also think you will find that the people dropping these comments are very new to the UAV world and having their Mavics for a few has made them experts. They tend to forget that they actually have no right to tell others how to fly, especially in the tone that they do. It is one thing giving out a little polite advice but it is another to flame someone with the hate that these posts come across in. It saddens me tbh. Still no one will ever change these people so my advice is to simply ignore them or report the post and ask a moderator to remove it.

Let's close the chapter here. I've read your comments, and learned a lot. DJI has been wonderful to deal with regarding analysis, information flow, politeness, and putting the customer first. Truth be told I did not have the skills to fly attimode and need to keep working to build my skills. Let me just add, when you have something that cost a $1,000 go south on you, panic and helplessness come to mind. All the trial, error, study for most fly out the window (or a long distance away). Getting a lecture is really not productive at that critical time.

Why doesn't someone with great experience and skill create a set of lessons in logical order the the beginner can follow building skill and knowledge along the way. A drone pilot school ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead