DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying below home position Altitude

shredzoo7

Reactions
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. I'm assuming it's smart enough to figure this out, but I haven't had a chance to test this yet and an assumption in a real life situation would be risky and potentially very expensive.

As an example, say I'm on a 100 foot cliff by the ocean and I set my home position, and continue to fly out to the ocean for a "close to the water" shot. Now does the return to home height work off of where the initial home position is, or will it calculate it from it's position where it's 100 feet below from where it was? This is probably a dumb question...

When the Mavic flies below the home point altitude, the current altitude will be a negative value. If RTH is initiated at that point, the Mavic will ascend to 0 feet and then ascend to the set RTH altitude before returning back to the home point.

When the Mavic flies below the home point altitude, the current altitude will be a negative value. If RTH is initiated at that point, the Mavic will ascend to 0 feet and then ascend to the set RTH altitude before returning back to the home point.
Perfect, exact answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Also, when you execute a RTH command, the first thing it does is ascend before starting return. So make sure there are no obstructions directly above the drones current position or it will climb right into it.

All great info, thanks. I am planning to fly along some rivers that I fly fish and was wondering the same thing. I'd in some cases be starting from the sides of cliffs, so I have LOS and dropping somewhat into the river valley.

And in the opposite directions? That is... if th home point is in a valley at 300 m over the sea and I flight the bird uphill other 200 meters with the rth quote set at e.g. 30 m... what will happen if I press the rth button? As the mavic is a lot higher than the home point quite and the ground level is higher too?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

RTH is always based off of the altitude from where you take off....just make sure to set you r RTH altitude higher than anything it will fly over in it's path to get back home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78