DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying during lockdown

The main problem is complying with the drone code.
Most people live in towns so the rules about distance from people and not over congested areas would apply.
Also the visual line of sight is hard in towns.

So nothing different. You cant leave your house to do it - its non essential.

Its worth noting that some police forces are becoming VERY petty about people outdoors, even miles from any other people going for a walk so id expect them to clamp down on drones just because (i) they can and (ii) they're bored.
Speed camera revenue is down, routine police work has basically stopped so most are just sat on their arses or wandering around with nothing really to do.

The police in the peak district, clearly with nothing productive to do any more, released a "shame" drone video of people walking in the area, miles from other people, nobody in groups over 2, doing no harm at all. But they still wasted time and resources filming then releasing this video.
Everyone has been told no unnecessary journeys and that includes driving to local beauty spots to then engage in what can be done where you live. It's been made perfectly clear why people should not travel unnecessarily,the cops are right to shame these idiots,the virus doesn't spread on its own,people spread it ,and the less people move about the less it will spread,simple.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Everyone has been told no unnecessary journeys and that includes driving to local beauty spots to then engage in what can be done where you live.

That is not what the law says, its not what the legislation says and its also not what the cabinet office who wrote the actual legislation say.

Police are there to enforce the law, not make it up as they go along. The UK is based on common law - things are legal unless specifically told they are not.

It's been made perfectly clear why people should not travel unnecessarily,the cops are right to shame these idiots,the virus doesn't spread on its own,people spread it ,and the less people move about the less it will spread,simple.

Spread is related to density. Far less likely to pass it on or pick it up in an area where few or no people go than you are in your local area which is residential which has other people outside doing the same as you, walking, sneezing, breathing, touching things.

It looks like the government agreed that police overreach is an issue anyway issuing a letter yesterday telling them to calm the f--k down. A former supreme court judge also issued one saying similar.

When the police are wasting their time going into shops and telling them they cant sell easter eggs, fining people for chalking 2m distance lines in the street outside their door or telling groups of 2 (who live together, one of which has special needs) they cant go into a shop together you know they've lost the plot. And clearly have NO useful work at all to do.

I will never break the law or endanger anyone. As long as I'm not infected and it is permissible I will fly my drones. The "fuzz" was funny. That dates me too

Its quite amusing, friends of mine (same police force) actually called to report a large 10-20 gathering of youths in a park smoking and drinking.
The police said they couldnt attend and just "noted" it.
Just as in normal times, its FAR easier to go after the low hanging fruit and annoy normal or law abiding people than do actual old school police work and have to attend an incident.

And of course the police can fly, they are flying with exemptions and authorisations for professional and commercial use not the recreational toy authorisation.
They have training, they have risk assessments, they have strict operating criteria, a task plan, insurance and are assessed on their ability to operate.
The CAA exemptions for emergency services drone work just got extended through until june. Documents are all on the CAA skywise portal.
It wasnt suggested you break the law in flying, i am assuming everyone is flying correctly / legally and within current by laws. You can mention driving a car / motorbike you assume that everyone is legal in doing so, its not the first thing to my mind when i see a car on the road do they have correct insurance, licence etc. Its weird how your mind went right there.

I am flying but close to home and staying within private area . 100ft in all directions. So far nobody has complained. Fact is had to ask onlookers to step AWAY.
NJ. I am having more trouble with weather than people.

you are not allowed to go somewhere in your car to fly,how do i know,i contacted my local police, and asked if i could go up to some common land,5 miles from my home by car to fly my drones as my daily exercise, i explained that there is no area near my home to walk to to fly and i told them i would be well away from other people,they politely told me that it did not fall into the reasons they had been given to enforce,so they would be obliged to issue me me with a fine for none compliance so no flying for me at the moment
Fly first then ask for forgiveness

Reactions: John Locke
Fly first then ask for forgiveness
then pay the fine, though i did almost decide to throw caution to the wind and go fly anyway before i called them

Reactions: alopeznj
Sorry to hear about Grounded folks. I am Flying in local areas weather permitting (football fields, Soccer fields) which are closed anyway. Keep it low , 100ft max do not attract attention and so far i'm good.
NJ. If you call Local authority and attract attention you can't fly ! Stay low, do not attract attention and be safe. Local authority has bigger problems than a Drone right now.

This is the view from directly above my back garden...

So my new lockdown project is a timelapse one - photos at exactly the same time of day, every day, for as long as I can. Then in a few months, process it all into a timelapse and stabilise the footage as best as possible.

Using Litchi to send the drone to the same coordinates and height as best as possible.

20200409-0835.JPG

This is the view from directly above my back garden...

So my new lockdown project is a timelapse one - photos at exactly the same time of day, every day, for as long as I can. Then in a few months, process it all into a timelapse and stabilise the footage as best as possible.

Using Litchi to send the drone to the same coordinates and height as best as possible.

View attachment 98263
That sounds like a tedious but awesome project!

I flew right behind my condo above the Safe Harbor Marina above the beautiful yachts. It was nice to fly. It was just a quick flight. I posted it on YouTube.
What's your youtube name? Love to see it. I'm Dr. Doug Drones On Let's sub

Reactions: RayKelly
Chaps, you're taking this thread about flying under lockdown in the United Kingdom off topic... Please keep it to the UK. Thank you.

Chaps, you're taking this thread about flying under lockdown in the United Kingdom off topic... Please keep it to the UK. Thank you.
Except the title is Flying During Lockdown
Didn't see anything specific to a location
I thought we were all like minded people
Connecting the world through drones and drone experiences

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki