DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Chicago Parks

bradc972

Reactions
Site
www.coltwater.com
I am taking my daughter to Chicago for the day the 7th of Jan.

I'm curious what the rules are for flying in Chicago Parks. I'd like to show her Grant Park and Navy Pier.

I found this online:

Get a drone for Christmas? Here’s an overview of the rules for flying it

It mentions the park department is still working on their regulations. I plan on call both parks when they open today, but I thought I would see if anyone here had first hand experience.

Thanks!

I live in the heart of Chicago and have flown the mavic plenty of times. Here is what I did that has allowed me to fly with no issue.

Contact park mgmt offices. You can find these online for the parks in question.
Inform them of your flight and that you will fly at an altitude ( give a number and they won't care)
They will then advise if it's ok.

And boom.

I had a cop stop me
Once because I was taking pics of the bean and informed him of the ok I got. I welcomed the office to stick around to inform me if I was breaking a law or whatnot. Long as your are cool with them you are good.

Navy pier was iffy. I had spoken to someone who was an as and denied me. 2 days later I got an ok so long as I stayed far away from the Ferris wheel. Ask for the guidance and you will get your answers from them.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The more I read these anecdotal issues regarding flying drones in the US, the more concerned I am about what is going on.
There is a great deal of misunderstanding on both sides about jurisdiction and control regarding airspace.

For someone to deny authority, they have to have jurisdiction.
Some guy answering a phone at a landing strip or a park doesn't have that authority, no matter what they tell you on the phone.
They don't control airspace, and never have, same as your neighbor doesn't control the airspace over his property.
In a different thread, yesterday, I called one of these folks after he had denied such a request, and he admitted he had no authority to do so.
Controlled airspace is delineated, very clearly, on US VFR Sectional charts.
Look at those, learn the symbols and abide the restrictions, but by all means, contact everyone.
Be great neighbors, but understand the rules.

Reactions: Gumby
The more I read these anecdotal issues regarding flying drones in the US, the more concerned I am about what is going on.
There is a great deal of misunderstanding on both sides about jurisdiction and control regarding airspace.

For someone to deny authority, they have to have jurisdiction.
Some guy answering a phone at a landing strip or a park doesn't have that authority, no matter what they tell you on the phone.
They don't control airspace, and never have, same as your neighbor doesn't control the airspace over his property.
In a different thread, yesterday, I called one of these folks after he had denied such a request, and he admitted he had no authority to do so.
Controlled airspace is delineated, very clearly, on US VFR Sectional charts.
Look at those, learn the symbols and abide the restrictions, but by all means, contact everyone.
Be great neighbors, but understand the rules.

I get you. They have authority issues and then get spazed out when you challenge them with info.

So there were no people around the bean or Navy Pier when you flew as in flight over people?

So there were no people around the bean or Navy Pier when you flew as in flight over people?

There were people at the bean and I flew high enough where it was not a problem for them or for their safety. Again the cop stopped me around there and he could have shut me down if someone had complained. But I was respectful and flew high enough.

Navy pier I flew at the far end towards the lake and circled while staying far enough away from the Ferris wheel.

There were people at the bean and I flew high enough where it was not a problem for them or for their safety. Again the cop stopped me around there and he could have shut me down if someone had complained. But I was respectful and flew high enough.

Don't understand how you equate height with safety. What happens if something fails and it comes crashing to earth. more height is the last thing you want if it hits someone

Don't understand how you equate height with safety. What happens if something fails and it comes crashing to earth. more height is the last thing you want if it hits someone

Pretty sure I had a airliner fly right over me the other day
Boeing 747-400/Weight
404,600 lbs.
I'd rather have a drone fall on me.

Reactions: mcascone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member