DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the house , I crashed. :(

Trick

Reactions
I wanted to get familiar with the controller setting and functions. I went though some stuff just looking around. I found all the modes but it wouldn't let me choose any because I was in Att mode and for some reason I could not find out how to get out of Att mode so I could get into Tipod mode . How do I get out off Att mode so I can select other modes?

Then the crash.... after fiddling around I remembers something about pushing the joysticks down and in, if I recall its an emegency stop. Well for the heck of it I push the joysticks down and in.... the Mavic fires up and takes flight... I'm like oh NO! cause the room is small, its got a big screen tv, xmas tree, a cat, a dog, a wife and a slew of other stuff it could take out. I pushed down on the sticks to try and land it, but it wouldnt respond (avoidance sensors). I made a couple feeble attemps to control the Mavic before it crashed into the wall and broke 2 propellers. The whole time I'm like... oh sheit!, oh sheit!..

Any words of wisdom?

Reactions: mchrisb03
Sorry to hear this! Did you get her put back right?
Be sure and remove the props when you have the Mavic powered on inside. Hey, Iv'e learned lots of stuff the hard way :D
You were in ATTI because indoors you could not get GPS signal.
While this is not my usual answer... this seems to be fitting under the circumstances - Mavic Manual
Go through the manual a few times. There is a lot to learn & know if you want to be successful in your UAV adventures.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
I wanted to get familiar with the controller setting and functions. I went though some stuff just looking around. I found all the modes but it wouldn't let me choose any because I was in Att mode and for some reason I could not find out how to get out of Att mode so I could get into Tipod mode . How do I get out off Att mode so I can select other modes?

Then the crash.... after fiddling around I remembers something about pushing the joysticks down and in, if I recall its an emegency stop. Well for the heck of it I push the joysticks down and in.... the Mavic fires up and takes flight... I'm like oh NO! cause the room is small, its got a big screen tv, xmas tree, a cat, a dog, a wife and a slew of other stuff it could take out. I pushed down on the sticks to try and land it, but it wouldnt respond (avoidance sensors). I made a couple feeble attemps to control the Mavic before it crashed into the wall and broke 2 propellers. The whole time I'm like... oh sheit!, oh sheit!..

Any words of wisdom?
Big lesson. Take it slow and easy. Learn the basics. Watch a few videos. There are some great ones that will walk you through the first steps. DON'T start indoors. Start outside with lots of room. Learn just a couple new things at a time. You'll get it but there is a lot to know. One easy step at a time.

It always starts in atti mode and then looks for GPS. If you have enough light it will say OPTI and then be flying with the 3D cameras and much more stable indoors. If it's too dark that won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

after fiddling around I remembers something about pushing the joysticks down and in, if I recall its an emegency stop

It's the start command as you found out - AS WELL as the emergency stop command.

For trying out the modes you need GPS, so you need to be outdoors.

There is a setting in DJI GO that allows you to choose how a CSC responds mid-flight. If "Only when aircraft is abnormal" is selected, a CSC will not work mid-flight unless the flight controller detects a critical error.

DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Action.jpg

As for preventing this from happening again in the future, it's a good idea to remove the props before turning your Mavic on indoors.

Reactions: lotek
Remove the props, is a great idea. lol and yes everything seems to be fine after the crash. Thanks guys.

I'm confused, The CSC command from a resting Mavic should only spin up the motors to a low idle speed, ready for takeoff. Are you saying that you did the CSC and it took off and up on it's own?

The amount of new people I see trying too fly these indoors blows my mind......

Any words of wisdom?

The Mavic has to actually be flying before you can initiate tripod mode.

I'm confused, The CSC command from a resting Mavic should only spin up the motors to a low idle speed, ready for takeoff. Are you saying that you did the CSC and it took off and up on it's own?
Good question.... I've never used the csc but if I need to, I'd like to know what to expect...

It won't take off on it's own. If you've never used CSC to start the motors you must be taking off with the take off button only. You can also take off by CSC to start the motors, then it will just sit there with the props spinning until you push up on the left stick.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

When I first learn to fly I switch to wifi mode before power it up in a small bedroom and connect it in wifi and using auto slide take off it's more safer because it hovering rock solid and the controller fly like in the tripod mod soo smooth and slow. I think every newbie like me highly recommended using wifi mod for testing in small room. IMHO

Watch out when flying in tripod mode in the house. I crashed mine because I was flying over a railing. The drone went up on its own (because of obstacle avoidance when it was over the railing) and when I pulled down to keep it from getting to the ceiling it thought I wanted to land on the railing. I didn't realize that's what was happening, just saw it going down, so I pushed up on the left stick, and the landing mode had turned off tripod mode, so it went up way faster than I expected and hit the ceiling. Now shipped off to DJI for my first Refresh.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The amount of new people I see trying too fly these indoors blows my mind......

Also shocking to me are the outdoor crashes into buildings around populated areas.

From a newbie point of view, it seems as if Mavic is marketed directly at first timers, as a kind of high tech, elaborate selfie stick that, y'know your average teenage girl could use handily (see the Chinese ads for examples of this). And as a fun and easy racing toy for boys to be reckless with.

Thankfully, forums like this exist to educate want-to-learn newbies about the real world, actual danger involved when learning to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Chris and damaltor

Yes I pulled the sticks down and in and it started and took flight.

I have also been trying to test the emergency shut off by pushing the sticks down and in and it never shuts the Mavic off while its flying. I did this over snow with the gimbal cover on it it wouldn't shut off. Am I doing this wrong.

Yes I pulled the sticks down and in and it started and took flight.

I have also been trying to test the emergency shut off by pushing the sticks down and in and it never shuts the Mavic off while its flying. I did this over snow with the gimbal cover on it it wouldn't shut off. Am I doing this wrong.

I think that is called the CSC command, and the mavic will only do it when its attitude is extreme (in a crashed state). I think I read that somewhere in the manual.

Check that you have the following setting set to "Stick Cross Stop" in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Action.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk