DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying just outside of Rocky Mountain State Park

motopokep

Reactions
I now that flying inside the national park is illegal and don't want to get into trouble. In fact, from what I've read, Colorado prohibits drones also inside state parks. Anyone had any issues taking off just outside the Rockies and flying into the park?

Reactions: theDRONEranger
from what I've read, Colorado prohibits drones also inside state parks.
It is illegal to fly a Drone is all Colorado State Parks except for Cherry Creek State Park and Chatfield State Park, which has designated model airfields, and it's only legal to fly within the confines of the model airfields…

Link to the Drone Laws in Colorado

colorado.png

Reactions: Gagey52
I believe the OP asked about Rocky Mountain National Park which is not a state park.

As for state parks my understanding is that you can fly over them so long as you do not launch or recover while within their confines. I don’t know if this protocol also applies to national parks regulated by the fed.

Maybe someone could weigh in.

I believe the OP asked about Rocky Mountain National Park which is not a state park.

The Op might have meant the National Park, but the Title to his Posting is, "flying just outside of Rocky Mountain State Park"

So, my answer is and remains correct. Now, the Rules to flying Drones around the National Park are a bit different…

Unmanned Aircraft Prohibited - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Where I live, there are numerous National Parks and I know several drone flyers who preach, "They do not own the air!" and fly from outside, into the park. Yeah, they have this right, but my premise is, they also have responsibilities, like keeping the drone in view. Some of these idiots fly their drones so far out that they are incapable of flying them back and have to use the Return to Home function.

One case, the droner had to go into the park to recover his crashed drone because he flew it beyond its battery capability to return home. He Stupidly said, it was an accident and accidental crashes are not a violation.

I've seen tooooooo many given an "inch" and they take a "yard".

So, if you want to stand on the verbiage, "Anyone had any issues taking off just outside the Rockies and flying into the park?" and not the intent, fly a far in as possible…, Yeah, they can do it… But you'll never convince me that they will not fly out of sight!!!

You can take off from outside any park and fly over it. As long as you're following FAA regulation, including airspace and BVLOS, you can fly over the parks in Colorado.

Just don't disturb wildlife.

I now that flying inside the national park is illegal and don't want to get into trouble. In fact, from what I've read, Colorado prohibits drones also inside state parks. Anyone had any issues taking off just outside the Rockies and flying into the park?
In Colorado, state parks and state forests are different rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev