DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying legal or not legal?

FLJeff

Reactions
There is a park relatively close to the house that has a huge, huge open field that I would love to go fly my mp at. I have been to the park there is a sign at the entrance that has about 15 red circles with a slash through for all kinds of things, campfires, horses, cars etc but no where does it say anything about drones or anything like. Not wanting to just jump in without a little more research I went to the city ordinances and I found this:

"No person shall operate or permit to be operated any engine-driven model airplane within any park area or on the public bathing beaches, except in an area specifically designated by the director of leisure services as suitable for such activity."

My Question: Based on the info provided if they decided to try and make an example out of me (plan for the worst) would this language convict me or set me free? :)

There is a park relatively close to the house that has a huge, huge open field that I would love to go fly my mp at. I have been to the park there is a sign at the entrance that has about 15 red circles with a slash through for all kinds of things, campfires, horses, cars etc but no where does it say anything about drones or anything like. Not wanting to just jump in without a little more research I went to the city ordinances and I found this:

"No person shall operate or permit to be operated any engine-driven model airplane within any park area or on the public bathing beaches, except in an area specifically designated by the director of leisure services as suitable for such activity."

My Question: Based on the info provided if they decided to try and make an example out of me (plan for the worst) would this language convict me or set me free? :)

I would take the opposite view here and write to them asking for confirmation of where designated areas are. Once you have that in writing the law is on your side.

Not only is a Mavic not an airplane, it's not engine-driven. The ordinance doesn't apply to the Mavic.

Reactions: Kilrah
I would take the opposite view here and write to them asking for confirmation of where designated areas are. Once you have that in writing the law is on your side.
Except that many people when given the opportunity to say no will do so just because they can and it avoids them work/responsibility regardless of whether that's justified or not, and once they've done it it's very hard to reverse the decision.
In this case I'd go for it and argue with what the above post says if someone complained. If they specify engine-driven that was typically that electric is OK, just not IC due to noise/danger.

Reactions: Mavman
So, we had a city park that had similar text in their language. They claim it covers drones. The only thing they ever did was a park ranger yelled at me over it, I landed it was nice to him apologized and he continued to yell at me. I packed up and left. I did call his boss (who I am actually friends with) and reported his behavior and he was let go the next day.

I was told that it is a gray area by the Director of Parks as it was written before drones were popular and they are working to revise the language to be more clear but it is supposed to not allow drone usage.

I would see what the ordinance states happen if you get caught. If it is a huge fine, be ready for that. If it is just a "rule" of what you can't do, most likely someone will come and tell you to land it and to not fly there again.

Reactions: Andrew Wright
Yes I think you will find their understanding of an engine driven airplane is anything that flys under it owns propulsion. Yes the wording is poor, but local councils are good at interpreting something to be what ever they want it to be [emoji16]

Reactions: Andrew Wright
Yes I think you will find their understanding of an engine driven airplane is anything that flys under it owns propulsion. Yes the wording is poor, but local councils are good at interpreting something to be what ever they want it to be [emoji16]
Sad but true..

Well, it is clear what the intention of the rule is. So good luck over nit-picking on wording... I guess you could win it if you take it to court, but still.

In my experience, if you write/call/email someone to clarify or ask whether you can fly there, then they will not allow you to fly there, as that saves them a lot of trouble.

I would try to "accidentally run into" a ranger (or any other member of the authorities there) when outside the park or at some neighborhood social event or so. In case this is not possible, I would actively approach them when in the park, before they see you flying. Show the thing, demo it over a parking lot, etc...

When they then experience the size of the mavic and the noise levels combined with the stability, the chances are biggest they will allow you to fly there.

Well, it is clear what the intention of the rule is. So good luck over nit-picking on wording... I guess you could win it if you take it to court, but still.

In my experience, if you write/call/email someone to clarify or ask whether you can fly there, then they will not allow you to fly there, as that saves them a lot of trouble.

I would try to "accidentally run into" a ranger (or any other member of the authorities there) when outside the park or at some neighborhood social event or so. In case this is not possible, I would actively approach them when in the park, before they see you flying. Show the thing, demo it over a parking lot, etc...

When they then experience the size of the mavic and the noise levels combined with the stability, the chances are biggest they will allow you to fly there.

I tend to think this is correct, plus I may not have mentioned they don't have "rangers" just maintenance guys in golf carts. I really want to try this field to practice sport mode and lower level flying and I think I am going to just go over the next nice weather weekday when there isn't a lot of people out because it's hot in FL, and start flying, I have my doubts I'll see anyone but if I do I'll be nice and pack up and go if they say something, none of them are police and they have zero right to detain me or take anything that belongs to me, after that I'm hoping I can get 3 or 4 batteries of low level fast flight practice in :) Thanks for all the opinions, I think the intention of the law won't hold up in court but I really don't see that happening, I am visualizing a cool new place to fly where no one says ****. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser