DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying to Hong Kong, Bali and Vietnam

abeazzy2

Reactions
HI,

Im flying with Singapore airlines to hong Kong this summer and then Asian airline and VietJet for a couple of the legs for a total of 8 total flights. I have a dedicated backpack along with the Lipo Battery protectors. The back pack is going on board with me as I will also have my laptop and important items.

Has anyone flown to these countries and what recommendations would you have?

What is the ethics in fly the drone over sacred or spiritual sites?

Thanks in advance.

PS- taking the Mavic Pro

Hi, how was the flying in hong kong? I'll be there this weekend too and I was wondering where I might practice.

You will need lots of batteries if you are flying it from the States or Canada! Keep the duwnward sensors off while over the Pacific!

Flying in Vietnam is totally prohibited so be carefull otherwise you can get some troubles with military and police

Last edited:
Hong Kong is no problem, for both arriving with a Mavic and flying. I have two batteries hand luggage (fully charged with terminals open, but mostly packed well) and one on the mavic itself.

Flying is a different thing. Regulations state no flying within 50m of people and property, which is a bit tricky considering the density of the place. I say, fly sensible, safe and always in line of sight. And b prepared to stop if asked.

Just arrived back in HK from Beijing. No problem with airport security in Beijing (unless you call nearly confiscating my Nikon SB-910 Power pack, because they couldn't think of opening it to read the batteries capacity, silly bunch there!)

Flying in Vietnam is totally prohibited? Oh No! Im hoping maybe more of the resort area's like Da Nang would be more lax.

Update..... I make it from SFO to Hong kong no problem with customs or TSA. currently in Bali and no problem here as well. The Mavic actually allowed me to make some new friends with some of the kids in the village as that was the first time many had seen a drone up close or in person. I person asked me to take an Ariel of his village and whatsapp it to him which I happily did. Love seeing the smiles it puts on so many.

Hi,

I plan to go to Java, Bali and Komodo island very soon and I am not sure that I can bring my Mavic with me (I am flying also with local airplane companies such as Garuda and Air Asia).

Do you think it would be a problem ? First to get the Mavic in the plane and then to make him fly around ?

Tks

Hello,

I had zero problem with Air Asia when flying from Hong Kong to Bali. I also had a connecting flight in Kuala Lumpur in which I had to go through customs again with zero issues.

Have a great time....

Hi,

I plan to go to Java, Bali and Komodo island very soon and I am not sure that I can bring my Mavic with me (I am flying also with local airplane companies such as Garuda and Air Asia).

Do you think it would be a problem ? First to get the Mavic in the plane and then to make him fly around ?

Tks

Reactions: bunnyalberts
Welcome to grey sky raining Hong Kong.
No Fly Zones are located in the Victoria Harbour (Tsim Sha Tsui to Central area), no drone is allowed in the main part of the harbour.
However, you can fly at either end of it.

If u need any more info, PM me. Enjoy flying at the peak! :p

Hello,

I had zero problem with Air Asia when flying from Hong Kong to Bali. I also had a connecting flight in Kuala Lumpur in which I had to go through customs again with zero issues.

Have a great time....
Hi!

Did u have to declare that you were carrying a drone in the customs papers at Bali? Also did u carry the drone as hand baggage or check in?

Hi!

Did u have to declare that you were carrying a drone in the customs papers at Bali? Also did u carry the drone as hand baggage or check in?
Hi
I carried on everything. Made sure my batteries were not fully charged and had them in a battery fire safe bag. No issues or even a question. They were in my photography bag along with GoPro and Sony mirrorless camera. Have fun flying.

I did Cambodia and Bali in November.
Flew long haul with Singapore Airlines then had short flights which included Malaysian Airlines and Angkor Air. No issue with any of them with the Spark as carry on.

Flew on beach in Denpasar with no problems at all (obviously, I made sure I was out of peoples way).
Had a couple of young lads come over but they were themselves taking photos of the drone in the air. They loved it!

Also flew SA a couple of years ago with a Phantom 3 but I placed it in the hold in a hardshell case just due to the size of the case.
I took batteries in carry on in a Lipo and went through security with no problems at all.

Only place I was asked to show them the drone was at Tokyo Narita last year but I found as long as you are polite and helpful, they are fine.

As for spiritual sites and sacred sites, don't do it.
Not because you might get caught but just because it's the right thing to do.
Go and enjoy them for what they are and keep those memories in your head and take the pics with the devices they don't mind you using.

Enjoy the trip.

Reactions: MittenDroneMedia
I've flown extensively in Vietnam and SE Asia since 2014. In Vietnam, it's not totally prohibited, but there is a certificate you should have if you want to fly legally. I do not have this certificate.

I've flown at Ban Gioc, Ha Noi, Tam Coc, Ninh Binh, Ha Long, Hue, Khe Sanh, Da Nang, Hoi An, Can Tho, and Sai Gon (HCM) and had no problems until I had my P3P confiscated in Vung Tau in 2016, by the Vietnamese Army. It was returned to me 2 weeks later.

I've read recently of drones being confiscated on arrival in Da Nang. This seems to be limited to international flights. Google it for more info.

In December 2017 and January 2018, I flew with my Platinum from SFO to TPE, TPE to HAN, HAN to KUL, KUL to CGK, CGK to SGN, SGN to BMV (round trip) and SGN to TPE, TPE to SFO. I carry a drone in a tactical backpack and had no problems on arrivals or departures. I was asked to show the batteries when I was leaving Jakarta (CGK.)

Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: abeazzy2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d