DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying under 100 feet

gulfrider

Reactions
I just want to ask the question. I have a Mavic Pro, and a good portion of my area falls under Class D. After going through a bit of research I learned that I needed approval to fly in a Class D airspace. Unfortunately KittyHawk or Airmap does not include my area on their LAANC approval yet. I know most of it is common sense but wanted to get the opinion of this forum whether flying my drone under 100 feet (mostly 40 feet) would require me to get approval. I am a recreational flyer, and will just be using the footages for selfies or sunset photos. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: DagDerniT
Your raise a very good question. Unfortunately the answer is yes, you need the approval, else you might be investigated by the FAA if someone complains and you cant produce it.

However, I agree completely that common sense needs to prevail in this area; there is a lot to be said for allowing drones to do pretty much anything as long as they remain below 100'. In 20 years /3700 hours of military helicopter flying, I spent almost none of it below 100', and there really isnt anyone else in the world of manned aviation who needs to be down that low.

Well said. I live almost 5 miles from the airport but because I also live under the approach path, my ceiling is zero, even though 1/2 mile towards the airport there are high tension power lines about 120 or more feet high crossing the approach path.

While I didn’t get in this thread early, I live in a very rural area And while I agree with the 100’ idea while out flying more than once I have heard a helicopter and landed my drone till it’s clear one case this copter was around 200’ and flew right over me, I could easily see the pilot and it was a crop dusting copter... so while I’m in a class G I have to watch for the copter and a dusting plane that work my area... they can both be heard minutes before arrival but they do fly under 100’

Well said. I live almost 5 miles from the airport but because I also live under the approach path, my ceiling is zero, even though 1/2 mile towards the airport there are high tension power lines about 120 or more feet high crossing the approach path.

have high tension power lines had many fly aways?

Finally received my request for a waiver from FAA and it was disapproved. So frustrating.

have high tension power lines had many fly aways?
That's a good point, but few flyaways go above current altitude. I'm not talking about 1-2 miles from the airport, I'm talking about 3-5 miles from it (closer to 5) where MAS shouldn't be near 200 ft at that distance, even on the approach. Right next to the 0 it jumps to 400'. What would make more sense is to increase 100' per mile past mile 2 or 3.

To confirm, if I purchased a Mavic Mini (249 grams), would I be allowed to recreationally fly in Class D airspace, as long as I remain below the 50 or 100 foot ceilings indicated on AirMap? Screenshot attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• E7C0FE0B-236B-4A1F-8228-BCD3A5BC1D6A.png
    E7C0FE0B-236B-4A1F-8228-BCD3A5BC1D6A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
To confirm, if I purchased a Mavic Mini (249 grams), would I be allowed to recreationally fly in Class D airspace, as long as I remain below the 50 or 100 foot ceilings indicated on AirMap? Screenshot attached. Thanks!

Should be able to... just submit the request thru the LAANC system.

Remember:
1. You must be registered as a recreational flyer with the FAA and have your registration card with you when you fly.
2. You must mark the aircraft with your recreational flyer registration number,
3. You must comply with the rules regarding flying VLOS, flight over people, etc.

Also, be aware some local jurisdictions have restrictions on where you can launch/land (like parks, etc.); these are not included in programs like AirMap.

Last edited:
That's the catch. You don't have to register if drone is
As I've said before, rules need to be more practical. How is a <250g quad going to cause any issues, particularly under 100ft?

In order to fly in controlled airspace, you must use the LAANC system.

To use the LAANC system you must be registered as either a Part 107 or recreational pilot with the FAA.

The drone doesn’t have to be registered individually like we do with part 107...you however do need to be registered as a recreational pilot

As you likely know when you register as a recreational pilot on the FAA site YOU get a pilot registration number; this goes on your drones flown under recreational rules under certain conditions.

These drones would include any over 249g, and any (regardless of weight) you would use in controlled airspace using LAANC.

Of course, with the Mavic mini it includes the fly safe database and DJI‘s Geo zone system. It will likely keep you from flying in those spaces mentioned above unless you have LAANC authorization and possibly submit an unlock request with DJI.

DJI Geofence self-unlock doesn't refer to LAANC authorizations....yet. However a manual unlock by code may require proof of authorization, which may be from LAANC.

I say yet, as DJI is an approved LAANC provider and soon will incorporate into Go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman