DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying whilst on a Narrow boat

TStarr

Reactions
Shortly off for a weeks canal holiday up and down the Llangollen canal - really looking forward to Maviking some of the vistas - but just had an awful thought, that the hull is one large and very long iron bucket - is this going to seriously mess up the compass, calibration, even actual signal to the plane? I had hopes of using the Return to Controller feature as we are likely to be on the move, albeit slowly - will that be compromised?

Reactions: javester
the hull is one large and very long iron bucket - is this going to seriously mess up the compass, calibration, even actual signal to the plane?
It won't mess up the signal to the Mavic, but it could affect the compass. You'll likely be fine if you hand release/catch to keep the Mavic as far away from the boat as possible.

I had hopes of using the Return to Controller feature as we are likely to be on the move, albeit slowly - will that be compromised?
The Mavic always returns to the last marked home point. If the boat is moving, you'll need to keep resetting the home point. If the boat is going to move for the entire flight, then it would probably be best to set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover". That will prevent your Mavic from attempting to fly home if the remote controller signal is lost.

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

You should also disable the "Smart Return-to-Home" feature.

DJI-GO-Smart-Return-to-Home-DJIGO4.jpg

Many thanks and drat - looks like I am either going to have to fly it in manually or jump off, set Home point, collect Mavic and catch boat up!!

8 days without dunking it in the water or up in the trees, and I should be prepared for anywhere!

Should flying it under or over a bridge, such that the bridge gets between me and the Mavic, be enough to "lose signal" and activate RTH - which could obviously result in disaster? Or is the signal likely to be strong enough over say 50 yards to get over such obstacles?

It's best to keep the path totally clear between the Mavic and remote controller. A solid obstacle like a bridge will no doubt block the signal.

This fellow seems to cope ok -

Shortly off for a weeks canal holiday up and down the Llangollen canal - really looking forward to Maviking some of the vistas - but just had an awful thought, that the hull is one large and very long iron bucket - is this going to seriously mess up the compass, calibration, even actual signal to the plane? I had hopes of using the Return to Controller feature as we are likely to be on the move, albeit slowly - will that be compromised?
Don't calibrate the compass on the boat, get a "good" calibration in the general area of the flight, on dry land each morning. The "compass adjustment tables" stored in the MP should be accurate enough for the day's cruise. Perhaps a camera tripod with a flat board instead of camera for a landing pad?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J