DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with the Mavic?

m4v1c

Reactions
Hello!

So I want to take the Mavic with me on the an Alaska Airlines flight (domestic flight) and wanted your guys take on the FAA/TSA rules. I want to bring my Mavic, 3 batteries total, DJI car charger, DJI wall charger, 20000 mAh external phone charger, and few other DSLR camera+Li batteries.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

1) Anyone have issues with bring their drone with their carry on luggage? I spoke with one customer service staff for Alaska and they said it is ok.

2) I couldn't find anything about Li batteries on TSA.gov, but seems like FAA DOES NOT specify a limit on how many spare Li batteries if they are under 100 watt hours. Has anyone had any troubles with bringing extras (can't bring more than 2 spares if the watt hour is >100).

3) How man Watt hours are on the DJI car charger & wall charger? It doesn't say on their website or the label on either chargers.

4) Looks like the FAA states that each Li battery needs to be "protected from short circuiting" thus using electric tape & putting each battery in a separate cloth lens pouch should be ok right?

Thanks, I'm hoping taking a drone on the plane won't be an issue. Happy flying!

EDIT:
I called the TSA & Alaska airlines and both reps told me to contact each other; they did not give me a specific answer about how man Li batteries <100 Watt hrs I could carry on...I was told to check out this website

PHMSA - Lithium Batteries

Last edited:
There is no problem with packing your drone and all accessories (excluding the batteries) in your carry-on bag or checking it in. The batteries must all be packed in your carry-on bag with the terminals covered with something (LiPo bag, tape, etc.). You shouldn't have a problem if you follow this advice exactly.

Reactions: m4v1c
There is no problem with packing your drone and all accessories (excluding the batteries) in your carry-on bag or checking it in. The batteries must all be packed in your carry-on bag with the terminals covered with something (LiPo bag, tape, etc.). You shouldn't have a problem if you follow this advice exactly.

I have flown a dozen times all over the country through about 6 different airports since I got my Mavic, and have never once had any issue at all.

I just keep the Mavic (with battery installed) and the remote in my backpack along with my camera and laptop. TSA has never batted an eye.

Reactions: m4v1c

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro