DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focusing & Landing

m4v1c

Reactions
Hello,

I'm new to videography and was wondering how focusing works when recording a video? I'm familiar with dslr cameras where you just aim the focusing marker and press down on the shutter. And on the Mavic I'm aware that for taking a picture you can tap on where you want the camera to focus and thats it, but when recording a video do I constantly have to tap to focus on my subject or foreground? Or does the Mavic continuously focus when recording videos? I couldn't find much about focus in the manual.

Also, if I'm taking off on a moving object (eg. boat) how does the Mavic keep up & return to home? Do I or does the Mavic update its RTH position? Do you recommended hand catching it during situations like this?

Thanks!!

Hello,

I'm new to videography and was wondering how focusing works when recording a video? I'm familiar with dslr cameras where you just aim the focusing marker and press down on the shutter. And on the Mavic I'm aware that for taking a picture you can tap on where you want the camera to focus and thats it, but when recording a video do I constantly have to tap to focus on my subject or foreground? Or does the Mavic continuously focus when recording videos? I couldn't find much about focus in the manual.

Also, if I'm taking off on a moving object (eg. boat) how does the Mavic keep up & return to home? Do I or does the Mavic update its RTH position? Do you recommended hand catching it during situations like this?

Thanks!!

Hi,

About the focusing it depends on what you want it to look like, while in autofocus (latest firmware) it will focus when you hit record and then will hunt for focus along the recording (what may or may not be good) it's just a trial and error and getting used to different scenarios and subjects! But you can also go back to full manual focus and tap along the recording on what you want

About the home point, it will save the home at take off and in any RTH condition will go back to that exact place, you can also update the home point in the app itself but for what you want the only way IMHO is to do hand catch and hand launch!

Be aware that boats can have a lot of metal an interference emitter things so never calibrate on the boat (or the beach) and I would advise you to practice a lot the hand caching and hand launch! One thing is doing it on the steady ground of your backyard and another completely different is trying to do it on a vertical/horizontal moving platform, you're going to be making small adjustments while trying to catch it, a good idea is to train someone else on keeping it stable and you doing the catching, you know.. it's your drone and should be your fingers!

Reactions: m4v1c
Hi,

About the focusing it depends on what you want it to look like, while in autofocus (latest firmware) it will focus when you hit record and then will hunt for focus along the recording (what may or may not be good) it's just a trial and error and getting used to different scenarios and subjects! But you can also go back to full manual focus and tap along the recording on what you want

About the home point, it will save the home at take off and in any RTH condition will go back to that exact place, you can also update the home point in the app itself but for what you want the only way IMHO is to do hand catch and hand launch!

Be aware that boats can have a lot of metal an interference emitter things so never calibrate on the boat (or the beach) and I would advise you to practice a lot the hand caching and hand launch! One thing is doing it on the steady ground of your backyard and another completely different is trying to do it on a vertical/horizontal moving platform, you're going to be making small adjustments while trying to catch it, a good idea is to train someone else on keeping it stable and you doing the catching, you know.. it's your drone and should be your fingers!

Ohhh ok awesome, so say I was recording and I want it focusing on my background (eg. mountains) and a few seconds later I decide to stand in front of the camera so the Mavic can focus on me instead. With the AF focus, will it switch from focusing on the mountains then automatically focus on me? Also since I'm a new Mavic pilot and the manual doesn't go much in-depth about focusing, besides taping to focus & the AF hunting that you mentioned, is there anything else I should know in order to in sharp in focused shots/videos?

Also, would you recommend a landing pad if I'm landing on sand/snow/rocky terrain? Or do most people hand catch in these situations?

When flying from a boat, it might be helpful to tell the Mavic to hover in place if the remote controller signal is lost. You could then just circle back and move toward the Mavic until the signal reconnects. That settings can be configured in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

Reactions: m4v1c and kiteboy
Ohhh ok awesome, so say I was recording and I want it focusing on my background (eg. mountains) and a few seconds later I decide to stand in front of the camera so the Mavic can focus on me instead. With the AF focus, will it switch from focusing on the mountains then automatically focus on me? Also since I'm a new Mavic pilot and the manual doesn't go much in-depth about focusing, besides taping to focus & the AF hunting that you mentioned, is there anything else I should know in order to in sharp in focused shots/videos?

Also, would you recommend a landing pad if I'm landing on sand/snow/rocky terrain? Or do most people hand catch in these situations?

Good advice from @msinger

Yes, you will have to start that shot by recording the mountains and once it is recording step in to the middle of the frame so it AF on you (if you're recording yourself and alone) if there is someone that could help you this will be easier, just switch to MF and tap the mountains, then once you're ready the other person (or you if you've the RC) tap over you.

My recommendation is to practice a lot it helps when you're used to then try to take some shots adjusting the exposure and focus of the scene and then taking the actual shot/video, it is also good to know that you need to pay attention to the setting up of capturing as much as to the post processing

About the landing pad, I always hand catch unless I have a clear and easy spot to land. landing in sand or dirt will get you a very dirty mavic. You can really use any hard and easy to carry I once used a monopoly board :'D

Reactions: m4v1c
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98