DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Folding Mavic with Low Noise Props - Observation

I may have paid to much for the new props. I paid $28 for them in the dji box. I see the knock offs for $20. I just ordered some to see if there is a difference. Are you using the oem props?

If you got them for 28 bucks out the door, you didn’t do so bad. DJI sells them for 10 bucks a pair, plus 10 for shipping, making it 30 bucks to outfit the whole quad. I’m assuming you got 4 props for your 28 bucks? Like I said before, I get mine for 10 bucks a set (of 2) but after taxes, it’s not significantly less than what you paid.

Just a bit cheaper than what I paid from a friend. If you all do Walmart

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-10-13-14-10-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-10-13-14-10-1.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 105
Overall the performance of these new low noise props for me is good.

A slightly quieter sound / pitch - dogs will notice the difference possibly more than my ears. No more high wind warnings in normal conditions, in windier conditions, they do seem to flex more and I experienced more high wind warnings than with the original more rigid props.

They fit into the fly more combo bag without issue. Be careful, they could get caught on the magnesium heat sink on the underbelly of the aircraft when in the folded position. This could damage to the propellers edge and may cause some flight stabilization issues.

The RPM’s were lower by about 50, flight time and battery performance appears to be the same.

Just a bit cheaper than what I paid from a friend. If you all do Walmart

Not sure why anyone would attempt to save ~10 and buy non-oem/ knockoff props, that may or may not have been built to exact specs, then put them on a $1000 machine that relies 100% on their functionality. This site has numerous threads of non-oem props actually making contact with the mavic when installed.

Word of advice: Don’t risk it, spend the extra $10 and just buy the real ones from a KNOWN DJI supplier.

How bout cf props? Just about to purchase a set for about 15 bucks

I may have paid to much for the new props. I paid $28 for them in the dji box. I see the knock offs for $20. I just ordered some to see if there is a difference. Are you using the oem props?
I have 3 sets in case I lose a sets of the OEMs i would nt trust third party anything
With my investment , im just saying [emoji41]

808fda91c952f8f656cb076e26232343.jpg

There’s no pressure from the trailing edge of the props if you just fold them in slightly more, like this.
I love the sound and performance of the new blades. I was amazed watching my youngest son (43) fly my new MP with the new blades! DGI has a winner with the new aerodynamic shape with the wider chord and longer blades. I fold the my MP blades just as pictured by Mr. Salty. The blades gain their rigidity when spun up. The RPM is what gives real helicopter blades their strength.

I bought my 1st set of the new props when they were first released and wound up paying $34 for them. I bought 2 more sets as spares paying $25 for the first set of spares and $20 for the last set.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Salty
This platinum prop i think only reduce the rpm, so when u raise up with 10mps,it not show max motor speed reached

what are cf props
Carbon Fiber. Carbon fibers have several advantages including high stiffness, high tensile strength, low weight, high chemical resistance, high temperature tolerance and low thermal expansion. These properties have made carbon fiber very popular in aerospace, civil engineering, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports.Wikipedia.

Reactions: 4wd
Carbon Fiber. Carbon fibers have several advantages including high stiffness, high tensile strength, low weight, high chemical resistance, high temperature tolerance and low thermal expansion. These properties have made carbon fiber very popular in aerospace, civil engineering, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports.Wikipedia.
And in the case of DJI consumer drones they're brittle and prone to breaking, at least according to a few people who have posted here.

Just a quick comment, why do you think it's the speed of a helicopter rotor that gives it its "stiffness"?

Just a quick comment, why do you think it's the speed of a helicopter rotor that gives it its "stiffness"?
1520617656738.jpg
After thousands of hours flying Single and Multi- Engined Helicopters in North/Central/and South America, Europe, and Russia, Main Rotor Blade stiffness is an area of concern during initial blade spin-up and shut down especially in high winds as MR Blades striking a Tail Boom will spoil your day. If a MRB Strike happens in flight it will be fatal. An easy way to prove this yourself tie a weight on the end of a rope, hold it out and the rope and the weight will droop to the ground! Spin it and the rope will become stiff holding the weight straight out like a MRB. I've flown wooden, metal, and carbon fiber blades over the years. The attached photo is of my Russian Ka-32C that I imported from Russia that I'm landing on a high rise building in SF in 1994.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theo111103
I'm not a science Professor but I do believe we're talking about centrifical Force, while I'm not arguing the blade would have more energy while spinning I do not believe it would make the blade any stiffer as the stiffness of the blade is what it is. Let's take a mavic pro prop for example when it leaves the factory it has a set stiffness due to the materials that it's made out of now even if that prop is spinning in a thousand RPMs it still has the same stiffness as when it left the factory it just now has more energy due to the centrifical force exerted upon it

We can't compare a piece of plastic that weighs grams with a Helicopter Main Rotor Blade that can weigh many hundreds of pounds. By the way, it is not centrifugal force but centripetal force that provides the strength/stiffness of a Helicopter Main Rotor Blade.

Question: Since the MPP props result in lower hover RPMs, has anyone noticed any change in actual flight performance?

My guess is that the gear ratio is effectively changed to be a bit taller, either due to the increased length or a different prop pitch. Therefore, acceleration maneuvers would be slightly more sluggish, however the top speed could be higher if the motors can handle it.

Thoughts?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead