DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow GPS Dog Collar

Reactions
I'm looking at purchasing a Magic Pro to shoot video while hunting with my dog. I'm wondering if the "Follow Me" will work with the GPS Collar that is on my dog. Also, will it remain at a constant height above the ground and use the obsticale avoidance, as my hunting is done in rolling hills and trees or brush areas.

Thanks !

Yes the dji Mavic has obstacle avoidance in the front and it has terrain fallow which makes it so it stays at the same altitude. You don't need a GPS color the drone will just track it.

You have 2 methods of having the mavic follow a target. 1) Active Track 2) Follow Mode. The Follow Mode strictly uses the GPS that's on your phone or tablet and the Mavic matches those coordinates. The Active Track uses the camera and built-in recognition software to follow a target. So the only way you can track your dog with the Follow Mode is by attaching your controller with the phone to your dog which obviously is not practical. The other method is to use the Active Track where you focus the camera onto your dog and then select your dog. The problem with this is if your dog runs under some bushes or trees then the Mavic will lose him. I don't believe a GPS collar on your dog will transmit to the Mavic.

You have 2 methods of having the mavic follow a target. 1) Active Track 2) Follow Mode. The Follow Mode strictly uses the GPS that's on your phone or tablet and the Mavic matches those coordinates. The Active Track uses the camera and built-in recognition software to follow a target. So the only way you can track your dog with the Follow Mode is by attaching your controller with the phone to your dog which obviously is not practical. The other method is to use the Active Track where you focus the camera onto your dog and then select your dog. The problem with this is if your dog runs under some bushes or trees then the Mavic will lose him. I don't believe a GPS collar on your dog will transmit to the Mavic.
Thanks for your thoughts on this issue. I guess I'm just wondering if the Mavic will track a phone or tablet, what would be different from the GPS device that is found in a dog collar.

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue. I guess I'm just wondering if the Mavic will track a phone or tablet, what would be different from the GPS device that is found in a dog collar.
The mavic will only track whatever mobile device is connected to the RC controller. There is no way, that I know of, for the GPS coordinates from the dog collar to get transmitted to the mavic.

You're looking for the staaker drone or the airdog 2 drone

Skydio 2 would work too, but again, you would have to attach the controller to the dog. The Skydio doesn't rely on optical tracking, so it does a much better job of tracking than the DJI Active Track.

Try out Litchi with Litchi Leash running on another phone attached to your dog.
Good idea! But unfortunately Litchi Magic Leash only works with Android. I was in contact with Litchi and they say they no longer support it with iOS. My inquiry to them was about Magic Leash with the Mini, not sure if Leash works with iOS on other models.

Reactions: joeywestside
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998