DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freewell grad filters

Bogey

Reactions
I have tried searching for the answer to this,but no luck, so...

The above filters have a colored portion of the filter - like 1/3 of one is orange. So, is there any particular way that filter has to be put on; orange on top/bottom, doesn’t matter?

As always, thanks!!!

Reactions: rautej1
I have tried searching for the answer to this,but no luck, so...

The above filters have a colored portion of the filter - like 1/3 of one is orange. So, is there any particular way that filter has to be put on; orange on top/bottom, doesn’t matter?

As always, thanks!!!
In graduated filters, the colored portion goes toward the sky, with the color most commonly right on the horizon or slightly above it. The problem with our Mavics is we are constantly changing the angle of the gimble relative to level. So, keeping the colored portion of the filter would also be changing.

In graduated filters, the colored portion goes toward the sky, with the color most commonly right on the horizon or slightly above it. The problem with our Mavics is we are constantly changing the angle of the gimble relative to level. So, keeping the colored portion of the filter would also be changing.
Actually it would be a good idea to have the top 1/3 dark ND filtered and keep the horizon on that lvl by software control, that way you can get nice landscape shots even if it's cloudy or overcast.
Wouldn't work for dynamic videos though...

Actually it would be a good idea to have the top 1/3 dark ND filtered and keep the horizon on that lvl by software control, that way you can get nice landscape shots even if it's cloudy or overcast.
Wouldn't work for dynamic videos though...
Yuppers... In other words, for photographs, not video. I use my tripod head to compose and align horizons in my shots. The gimbal on the Mavic is our tripod head. Once the Mavic is stabil, then we can compose the shot. But, with video.... Good luck keeping the graduated part of the filter aligned with the horizon. I only use grad. ND filters to bring out details in the clouds after exposing for the foreground. No clouds in the sky, I'm not using a grad. ND filter.
I personally don't like the colored grad filters.

Reactions: rautej1
Exactly. And even with video, I can imagine all pre-planned shot where grad would be useful. For photography, definitely yes. ND no question. Colored imho useless, that can be always done in Photoshop. Overexposed bleached parts in the clouds can't...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast