DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Funding for Drones

Daytona500

Reactions
What would be a good budget for a Police and fire department to buy drones for a large city say 1 million people

What would be a good budget for a Police and fire department to buy drones for a large city say 1 million people
A good thermal Mavic 2 or evo II package with all the batteries and accessories you need is around 10k USD. So 10k times however many you want the force to have available at all times + the number you think will be in operation at any given moment. A safe bet to start out with in my experience for a PD of your size is 3 units. So around 30k.

I worked extensively with Madison Area Drone Service in advising and demonstrating the capabilities of drones for use by police departments in southern WI. They know what they are talking about: Madison Area Drone Service – Drone Sales, Drone Repair and Accessories

If they ask how you found them ‘em tell Finn sent you.

Regardless of the size of the district/population your Dept needs to start with a small and manageable "Fleet" and grown as experience, knowledge, and Public Acceptance grows (that last item is the KEY item to success).

First off what are the NEEDS of the Dept in terms of UAS?

What type of Support equipment/vehicle/storage area does the Dept have for UAS operations?

What is the "Estimated" budget all-in annually?

How many Pilots/RPIC will be dedicated to the program?

One thing I will stress.... whatever "System" you go with, we usually suggest factoring the price of the initial aircraft system and then add at least 1/2 of it again for associated items/expenses. For instance if you went with a DJI MAvic Enterprise DUAL setup for $3400 (estimated) I would allow $1700 for case, batteries, chargers, Viewing Devices, Props, this and that..... Don't cut corners when starting out.

Don't use all of your budget for the "Aircraft System"..... If your annual budget is $15,000 don't go out and buy a $14,000 Aircraft System.... set realistic budgets and goals. Don't forget training, testing, registration, and those little things we don't think of up front but are indeed required.

I've assisted several Depts get started so if you need anything I'm more than happy to give some guidance.

A good thermal Mavic 2 or evo II package with all the batteries and accessories you need is around 10k USD. So 10k times however many you want the force to have available at all times + the number you think will be in operation at any given moment. A safe bet to start out with in my experience for a PD of your size is 3 units. So around 30k.

I worked extensively with Madison Area Drone Service in advising and demonstrating the capabilities of drones for use by police departments in southern WI. They know what they are talking about: Madison Area Drone Service – Drone Sales, Drone Repair and Accessories

If they ask how you found them ‘em tell Finn sent you.
The new inspire drones are 10,000 that's without the charging station.
That drone I think you guys would love that Drone or should I say three of those, in your department

Check them out, there of them can search a grid area together. They come with thermo sensors

The new inspire drones are 10,000 that's without the charging station.
That drone I think you guys would love that Drone or should I say three of those, in your department

Check them out, there of them can search a grid area together. They come with thermo sensors

I believe you're talking about the new DJI Matrice 30 series? (30, 30T)?

Reactions: MA2 317
I believe you're talking about the new DJI Matrice 30 series? (30, 30T)?
sorry....yes.

forgive my typing, gramma, miss-spelling, in the last post. I am trying to mulit-task this morning.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
sorry....yes.

forgive my typing, gramma, miss-spelling, in the last post. I am trying to mulit-task this morning.

No worry it's all good :)

The reason I'm asking is the city is holding a meeting for budget approval and their asking for a Half Million for drones and associated expense's. Personally I think this is way high and I'm thinking like a 100k would be more in line.

Perhaps that budget includes staff and/or facility expenses? Vehicles?

Gov budgets for employees include much more than salaries!

There are certainly some very expensive drones out there for specific purposes, but they are not what most agencies start with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msherwood1954