DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FVS sensitivity vs. Ocusync

Snow Bird 1

Reactions
If a tree or grove of trees is enough to block Ocusync (Mavic goes to hover, waits 10 seconds, then RTH). Will it turn and fly right into the trees on it's way home, or is the FVS as sensitive (or more?) as Ocusync and will avoid the tree(s)?

Just thinking out loud as I have a property with some huge trees I would like to fly around without having to be LOS 100% of the time etc.

If you read this posting that was taken from the manual then it may ascend to the RTH Altitude before it returns home. Mavic Incidents

So if RTH was triggered when flying into the trees then there is a strong possibility that the Mavic will fly straight up to the programmed RTH altitude and then attempt to fly back to the home point. So its not going to turn around . Its going to move higher till the altitude is reached first and then turn to fly to the Home Point.

So in your example it will fly right up into the trees if the RTH altitude is set to be higher than that of the trees themselves.

If you read this posting that was taken from the manual then it may ascend to the RTH Altitude before it returns home. Mavic Incidents

So if RTH was triggered when flying into the trees then there is a strong possibility that the Mavic will fly straight up to the programmed RTH altitude and then attempt to fly back to the home point. So its not going to turn around . Its going to move higher till the altitude is reached first and then turn to fly to the Home Point.

So in your example it will fly right up into the trees if the RTH altitude is set to be higher than that of the trees themselves.

Sorry, perhaps I did not phrase my question correctly.

I am flying behind a wide section of fairly dense trees a few hundred yards away - the Ocusync loses contact. The Mavic will brake, hover and wait ten seconds for re-connection (it is still behind the trees). After 10 seconds without reconnection, it will attempt RTH. question is, will FVS "see" the trees and avoid them and continue RTH (up and over the trees), or, is FVS not sensitive enough (as much as or more than Ocusync) to "see" the trees and fly into them.

I.e. which is more likely?

No vision sensors on the top of the Mavic Pro to "see" the branches of the trees that are sticking out on the way up. It would "see" the trunks of the trees in front of it more than likely, but from the videos posted it has a much harder time with small limbs and branches.

Thanks again; A bit slow today - I did not "get" the reference to RTH height needing to be set - GOT IT!!! Now if I can only get my hands on my Mavic!

Reactions: BD0G
Think of it as leap frog! The Mavic will try and leap frog straight up and over what is in its path the moment RTH engages. Straight up! over and straight down. Like the upper half of a rectangle with the trees being in the center of the rectangle. If you are within those trees with the Mavic and it goes straight up well branches are going to be tagged left right and center. If you are outside of the trees in an open area behind them well then the Mavic ( provided the RTH Altitude setting is higher than the tallest tress ) will go up and over.

Setting proper RTH Altitude is key and varies depending on the surrounding terrain. Lower terrain = Lower RTH altitude. Higher = Higher.

So the question becomes = Well why not leave it at a high setting all the time.
Battery life! Takes more juice to go up higher and over something that could be achieved by not travelling nearly as high to get back to the Home Point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000