DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FW 0600 Grounded me on my last vacation day

SteveG

Reactions
I took a long weekend vacation to North Myrtle Beach and thought that I'd bring my Mavic to see if I could get some video from the beach. I already knew that there's an airport nearby so I went through the process to unlock the Class E NFZ in DJI-Go4 and was almost on a first name basis with the air traffic controllers at that airport. They were quite accommodating and would give me the daily schedule for the banner towing planes and also warned me to look for the parasailing boats. It was all working out perfectly for 4 days operating from FW 0550 version. Yesterday, the last full day of my vacation, I got the notice about the FW update and figured what the heck. 0550 worked well and besides, I wanted to take a look at that Fixed Wing Mode. Wrong! I was flying at the very edge of the 5 mile radius from the airport and was able to happily unlock the NFZ till 0600 took effect. It popped up a message that I'm in a NFZ and can't take off. Only two options. "OK" and "report problem". There is no longer an option to unlock by any means. Turning off the GEO option just turns the entire 5 mile circle red instead of the the boundary line showing up outside a smaller red circle for the 1.5 mile area.

So......Fixed Wing Mode might be cool but 0600 is getting no love from me. I fly legal and always try to comply with all the rules but this just pissed me off. At least I was able to get lots of video from the previous 4 days! I'm heading home now but I just wanted to let my fellow UAS pilots know that this "feature" had been added to 0600. It definitely DOES NOT make it easier to unlock NFZ, at least that one!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR