DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gatwick airport

Hearing about drone attacks at an airport... Which one of you is it? Haha

Seriously... I hope it's no one here!
Seriously - I hope you are right! Whoever it is is going to get a world of **** on their head when the Police catch up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mad monkey
British police are now accepting there may not have been a drone near the airport at all.

Yep I’ve just seen the news regarding your post, they always point the finger at drones before they have evidence to back it up. Let’s hope it wasn’t drones that disrupted Gatwick Airport.;) Watch this space..

British police are now accepting there may not have been a drone near the airport at all.
If you look at the reports in full and in context, what they are saying is that they 'only' have 50+ eye-witness reports, and don't have CCTV to back it up. It's a broad 'cover-my-a***' statement that is about the comparative reliability of eye-witness testimony v's CCTV. CCTV at any airport is on high points looking down onto hard standings, taxiway etc. - so there is no reason that there would be CCTV coverage of the overflying drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porky
As it stands its better news. If it gets out in the general media that '"the police think it may not have been a drone" that is good, for us.
It will put in the international public's mind that there was probably not a drone. Future reports may be questioned rather than instantly go for mad, dangerous drone/fliers.

As it stands its better news. If it gets out in the general media that '"the police think it may not have been a drone" that is good, for us.
It will put in the international public's mind that there was probably not a drone. Future reports may be questioned rather than instantly go for mad, dangerous drone/fliers.
Wishful thinking in my opinion ... Air Traffic Controllers are not going to stand for being called 'unreliable witnesses' and they are tied to airline pilots from the shoelaces up! It's going to be the Airline Pilot's Association that are going to be pushing for larger exclusion zones around airports, and that's going to be the thing that eats up space to fly in the UK ...
The UK has always had much lower exclusion zone size than e.g. USA (1 Km UK v's 5 miles USA), so I think the APA will want to get all the leverage they can out of this incident to increase the zones to 5 Km.

Reactions: Clinton1
It’s a muppet show
c46c42ce2b5868b51ebb95df56aea093.jpg

just search for "british police say there may not have been a drone at gatwick"
I am only saying what the british police are saying. In the end what matters is perception.
Our days are numbered but not yet.
Unless you have money and power then you can do what you want. I have neither, so these things matter to me.

Reactions: Clinton1
I don't quite get you FoxhallGH. But I presume you know many Greenpeace members and their socio-economic base and political philosophy. I do and not one of them would have the imagination, know how, intelligence or balls to carry out such an act. They are clueless about anything. Oh with the exception of their founder in Australia who is a very smart guy, but he has left. The Greens were and never will be left. Like all political parties in Australia or anywhere for that matter they are myopic, no vision, no policy no future.
There is a political force that will change things but this is not the place to talk politics.

I don't quite get you FoxhallGH. But I presume you know many Greenpeace members and their socio-economic base and political philosophy. I do and not one of them would have the imagination, know how, intelligence or balls to carry out such an act. They are clueless about anything. Oh with the exception of their founder in Australia who is a very smart guy, but he has left. The Greens were and never will be left. Like all political parties in Australia or anywhere for that matter they are myopic, no vision, no policy no future.
There is a political force that will change things but this is not the place to talk politics.
I was trying to be generic in my reference to 'GreenPeace Weekly' John - so sorry if that seemed specific. My point is that no matter what the 'actual facts' (and we seem to be miles away from hearing them at the moment), are around this 'Denial of Service Attack' on Gatwick - both the Authorities and the Terrorists (Eco- & otherwise) now know & appreciate the impact of such an attack on an airport. The Police saying "It may not have been drones" is not going to change that ... So I'm still expecting knee-jerk reactions to the last week. Personally, I'd be very surprised if we don't have to fight very hard just to keep the current 1 Km Airport NFZ's becoming 5 Km's here in the UK (that's if we get the opportunity to fight at all!) ... Under current pressures, the UK Gov' would see that as doing something quick and easy while the European issues have the most table-time.

Well [B]FoxhallGH[/B] other groups are a great deal smarter and yes I agree with you. We have not heard the last of using our passion used for purposes that are unproductive for the futheence of .... well anything positive. It will happen. I personally like good rules, I like paying my taxes, it provides services for all. Bad, stupid rules, I take no notice of and fly. vive vitam ad plenum

Well [B]FoxhallGH[/B] other groups are a great deal smarter and yes I agree with you. We have not heard the last of using our passion used for purposes that are unproductive for the futheence of .... well anything positive. It will happen. I personally like good rules, I like paying my taxes, it provides services for all. Bad, stupid rules, I take no notice of and fly. vive vitam ad plenum
Thumbswayup This time of year I prefer "Fill my glass to the Full!" [ something along the lines of .... Replete speculum meum ]

Have a Merry Christmas John ...

"I like to pay my taxes".....??
So, that said, either you are very rich of very poor....and if you own a Mavic, you have a reasonable amount of 'disposable' income.
This incident will be well burn into the minds of the partially informed.
Just stay the heck away from identified 'no fly' zones. There must be a million other places to fly with more interesting things to look at than exist near an airport.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven