DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gatwick incident thread .Please resume in this one .

dirkclod

Reactions
OK guys I have started this one so you can continue talking about this . The other threads had got stale and old quotes were being quoted
that were not relevant to the new findings .
Other thread if you want to read is here
Gatwick Airport (UK) suspends flights due to Drone activity
Have at it and Merry Christmas to all .0ROJYyg.png

Reactions: dirkclod
Iwtb.jpg

Reactions: Perry Jefferies
Reactions: dirkclod
Can anyone tell me what’s actually going on?
Here’s the facts as I believe can be proven.
1. Airport shut down causing thousands of delays.
2. Airport and police personnel blame drones flying around the airport for the shut down.
3. There aren’t any photos or videos of a drone.
4. Two people were arrested for being the drone pilots.
5. Those two people were then released without any charges.
6. UK said they found damaged drone, but won’t show a picture of it.

This situation stinks to me. Just saying.

Can anyone tell me what’s actually going on?
Here’s the facts as I believe can be proven.
1. Airport shut down causing thousands of delays.
2. Airport and police personnel blame drones flying around the airport for the shut down.
3. There aren’t any photos or videos of a drone.
4. Two people were arrested for being the drone pilots.
5. Those two people were then released without any charges.
6. UK said they found damaged drone, but won’t show a picture of it.

This situation stinks to me. Just saying.
7. Metropolitan (London) Police taking over the case because Sussex Police (the local Rozzer), have made a right mess of it all!

The latest I’ve read was they now think it was lights from the tower cranes on a nearby construction site. Regarding the crashed drone; what they found was an old crashed drone that had been there for a while. Maybe my Yuneec Q500 that flew away in Seattle area?? [emoji16][emoji56][emoji3]

When are we gonna realize it was only Santa Claus taking a short cut,he posted the change thru one of his elves who posted it on wrong site,Jesus what's wrong with us it's around Christmas time!!

Reactions: mereflyer
The latest I’ve read was they now think it was lights from the tower cranes on a nearby construction site. Regarding the crashed drone; what they found was an old crashed drone that had been there for a while. Maybe my Yuneec Q500 that flew away in Seattle area?? [emoji16][emoji56][emoji3]

You should probably read the actual article not the click bait. The tower crane lights were a completely unrelated report to the police several miles away and nothing to do with Gatwick.

Reactions: JDawg
So how do we "demand" a foto of that drone and some explaination of the release without charges???

Why would they release photos? Its potential evidence therefore doing so could easily affect that. And if its deemed not to be related why would they release photos of someone elses lost and damaged property that isnt connected to any active case?

The police are there to do a job and not spoon feed people "demanding" on internet forums.

Its been a few short days. It takes a LOT longer than that to forensically exam any potential crime scene object, even more for something technical with data storage requiring expertise and a huge trail of paperwork to make any potential evidence from it legally admissible.

And police arrest and release people all the time without charges. Its how the law works. They investigate, they question people, they evaluate evidence then decide whether to charge. They dont have to, will not and nor should they have to justify the thousands of times that happens on a daily basis to demanding internet users.

Why would they release photos? Its potential evidence therefore doing so could easily affect that. And if its deemed not to be related why would they release photos of someone elses lost and damaged property that isnt connected to any active case?

I do NOT expect to see pictures of this drone unless it is as evidence in a trial of those responsible, and quite possibly not even then. While the publicity was the fault of some sections of the media (they didn't *have* to run it as a witchhunt), the police also took a lot of flack over it, so I doubt they're going to risk any possibility of a similar incident and are going to be a lot more careful over what information they release.

Besides, unless it was a complete DIY build, they must have the make, model, and serial, and (probably by now) any GPS logs and photos from its last flight. If they can't track down the original owner from that then they're probably not going to and it's a dead line of inquiry as well as a dead drone. AFAIK, we also don't know exactly where it was recovered - not only is it potentially unconnected with recent events, it's also entirely possible that its last flight was entirely safe and legal.

Spotted a small update from Sky News in my news feeds today. Nothing really significant, and since there have been no new sightings reported any further arrests seem unlikely, which is also Sky's view. There are a few points of note, however:

Apparently *two* drones were recovered near Gatwick, not one as commonly reported, but both have been ruled out of causing the Christmas disruption. No info on whether they were within the 1km boundary, or if any follow-up enquiries may be made if so.

26 potential launch sites were investigated and searched.

The police are "absolutely certain" that at least one drone was flying during the disruption.

A total of 115 *sightings* were reported, 92 from "credible people" (which I assume means police, LGW staff, and military). Sussex police were also flying their own drones as part of the investigation, so some of those sightings may have been of the police drones (it's unclear whether those have been eliminated from the count or not).

STILL no mention of confirmed footage, just to keep the conspiracy theorists happy. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The BBC's coverage is up echoing the above as well.

Last edited:
Quote from the Guardian News

A police spokesperson stated " he acknowledged that there may have been some "confusion" caused by the fact that Sussex Police launched its own drones in the hunt for the craft which was causing fears for the safety of planes.
"Of course, we will have launched our own Sussex Police drones at the time with a view to investigating, with a view to engaging, with a view to surveying the area looking for the drone, so there could be some level of confusion there."

The plot thickens............................

"

The drones the police used at Gatwick were the Aeryon SkyRangers and cost $82,541.84 / £65,000 each which makes them a little bit more expensive than our drones cost, interesting they are only four rotor blade dron, I quite expect some of the drone sightings over Gatwick were in fact these ones.

The farce continues.

The latest statement hardly clears anything up.
They found two crashed drones which have been ruled out (read been rotting in vegetation for weeks)
Over a hundred 'sightings' but then it's implied the police used drones which likely account for many of those.

My best guess is there was a temporary system failure with traffic control at what is one of the busiest periods of the year.

To minimise compensation damages they have decided to go with a possible drone sighting to account for a short closure. Only they couldn't resolve the issue and the lie needed to grow and grow.

The very idea of drones repeatedly taunting the airport for many hours, but being all but impossible to catch on camera or follow back to base for battery swap is frankly ludicrous.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure