DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Get the Mavic Pro or wait for Spark?

ag108

Reactions
Hey guys new to the forum and ive been back and foruth on getting the Mav pro or waiting a month and see what DJI comes out with possible a Mav pro 2??? all i can find is they are coming out with a " Spark " and looks cool and nice that its not $1000.00 bucks sounds like it will be around $400 but my delema is i think i will like the Mav pro better than the Spark kinda hard to belive they would make a more affordble drone and be better that the mavic but i will shoot myself in the foot if they announce a mavic pro 2 when they announce the Spark

I'm sure we'll see a Mavic Pro 2 at some point since the current Mavic is so popular. You'll have the same dilemma at that point though. You'll need to decide if you should get the Mavic Pro 2 or wait for the Mavic Pro 3. Better technology is always around the next corner.

I'm sure we'll see a Mavic Pro 2 at some point since the current Mavic is so popular. You'll have the same dilemma at that point though. You'll need to decide if you should get the Mavic Pro 2 or wait for the Mavic Pro 3. Better technology is always around the next corner.
haha very true i should pro just get one coming i dont think the 2 will be out anytime soon

I was tempted to buy one to practice with; but then I remembered that I could use the money to purchase a CrystalSky, after they have collected enough unicorn tears to start production.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: Qoncussion
As I understand it, could be wrong but the Spark will be for FPV racing? I saw a picture of it on YouTube and it is smaller than the Mavic. It has a camera but no gimble.

If it's made by DJI it will be very cool but expect this "Spark" to be only controllable with a phone and thus to have very limited range. Also don't expect 4k, swappable battery, or high quality gimble.

Reactions: jointeffort
I think it's pretty cool to have something that small to have some sort of gimbal. But from what I've seen, it's not Mavic pro. Go get yours now! lol

Who said the spark was anything like the Mavic ?
I'm sure with it being half the price it's not to close to the Mavic. But I bet when the goggles come out it will be perfect for them. Probably cost about 1000$ for the spark and DJI goggles

They have a lot of work on current mavic and repairs before they will think about a 2 lol . Mavic is awesome if you don't want to spend a thousand bucks then don't complain about whatever you buy. Mavic is easily worth it without question

Spark is more of an entry level drone, made to be inexpensive, having lots of compromises compared to Mavic. It's only got a 2S battery, about 15min flight time, non foldable, and a camera similar in quality to Mavic, including 4K. I'd never own one, it would be like going backwards IMO. Here's a size comparison.
upload_2017-4-1_23-25-43.png

Reactions: bostonvendetta
I don't think I'd spend my money on a spark,
But as my students love to keep reminding me, I said the same thing about the mavic :)

The upgrade/wait dilemma is always there. I love gadgets and I've learned over the years to budget money for upgrades and just go for what's out (unless a new version is imminent in the next month). I then quickly sell the old version in e-bay to recover some of the money.

So, go for the Mavic Pro!

The Mavic is so close to the perfect drone. If you're thinking of waiting for the Spark then your reason for waiting is a price issue, not a "better tech" issue.

From what I can tell, Spark isn't foldable
it's likely to act as an extended selfie-cam and will not really have the same features as a Phantom/Mavic
looks more like a fun thing to have for social media output but it probably wouldn't be used professionally.
If it works with Mavic's controller and is $399 or less, I may get one to screw around with. Especially if it's under 250g so there's no restrictions in Canada (doubt they can get it under that weight).

They have a lot of work on current mavic and repairs before they will think about a 2 lol

I haven't been a DJI owner long enough, but are you saying they fixed every major issue with a Phantom before the announced the next one? ie P2Vision or whatever before P3?

Given the massive demand for Mavic, I think it'd be foolish not to expect an announcement within the next 6 months. When they actually ship is another topic altogether (though I think it will be better than the Mavic Pro fiasco).

I get the feeling we'll see a Mavic standard that does 1080p and slot where that old price of $750-800 was when the Mavic Pro was sans controller.

I haven't been a DJI owner long enough, but are you saying they fixed every major issue with a Phantom before the announced the next one? ie P2Vision or whatever before P3?

I don't believe it's software/hardware issues the person is referring to but supply chain issues, there's been a lot of delays with repairs and replacements due to a lack of spare parts which they do need to get sorted.

John

What are your thoughts on the Karma....

It's much more than a drone.

;-)

Although there's a lot of hate for the Karma, I thought they took a sensible approach with a more basic drone that offered a different feature set to others - the idea of having a separate camera and gimble appealed to me as I'd use them on the bike so factoring in that and the 2 year accidental warranty GoPro were initially offering it made the Karma around half the price of the Mavic. Other drones like the Zano and Lily tried to offer more advanced features than DJI and cheaper but they're starting off at a big disadvantage given DJI's years of experience now and unsurprisingly both the Zano and Lily failed completely.

When the Karma was recalled I no longer considered it as I've been stung by GoPro beta devices before and won't be again but still I'm disappointed GoPro haven't managed to do well with the Karma. For all the mocking it gets, ultimately as consumers it hurts us not to have good competition between manufacturers to encourage better products and in the case of DJI particularly, better service which is clearly something they're failing badly. However with their dominant position in the market and high demand for products like the Mavic which have no real rivals, DJI have little reason to improve.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78