DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting clearance now, or after the April 27th maps come out?

LUPID

Reactions
Hi Professional Pilots,

I have a client that wants me to fly in the surface extension of Class D. See attached pic (green highlight)

Looks like it's the only option for that airport, since it's in a valley.

1. Do I even bother asking for clearance to fly? (North side of river, <200ft AGL.)
2. If so, do I file now with the FAA, or wait until the new rules/maps are released 4/27 (hoping EGE airport is on this release of 200)?

I'm 107 certified, but never had this type of clearance issue pop up yet IRL.

Thanks!

Attachments

• EAGLE RIVER.jpg
    EAGLE RIVER.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 46
I'm not a pilot(though I have pilots in the family) but I know a bit about the rules. I know that Eagle Co RGL controls the D and E airspace to the surface in your target area. You need to request a waiver. I know they update the VFR sectionals pretty frequently, but nothing in that area is going to change.

Sorry, not a better answer, but don't fly without getting your waiver.

Reactions: LUPID
Sorry, to clarify, "do I even bother", meant, or not even fly. Flying like a cowboy is irresponsible and dangerous.

Ah, well, that depends on the pay/reason.

If it's a hunt for the remains of a missing child, definitely...if it's a favor for a friend who wants to see what it looks like from altitude...meh, don't bother. Everything else fits in between. That said, if you're doing a real estate video for him, I would charge more because you have to jump through the hoops.

Ah, well, that depends on the pay/reason.

If it's a hunt for the remains of a missing child, definitely...if it's a favor for a friend who wants to see what it looks like from altitude...meh, don't bother. Everything else fits in between. That said, if you're doing a real estate video for him, I would charge more because you have to jump through the hoops.

It's currently free, but for a potential client if this part goes well.

It's currently free, but for a potential client if this part goes well.

Ah, I see. If you have the time and inclination, why not? Also, if you do get a waiver for a particular period, perhaps you can do something else during that period that you can monetize. Maybe do one of those area survey apps during your cleared time. File it away and use it later. Shrug. I've done a ton of free work in my life and it's a rare occasion where it didn't pay me back in some fashion.

RESOLVED!!

So, since the FAA is about to change how they do things I called the airfield operations office. After I wrote a thorough description of where and how I'd like to fly they now allow me to call 30 minutes in advance to let them know I'll be in the specified area. This allows me to shoot before/during/after construction. They agreed there is no reason to jump through so many hoops, when it'll be their decision ultimately anyway.

I attached these two images for clarity.

Note: The client is the Town and the Airport is run by the County. They seem to be good buddies.

Thanks for the feedback.

L

Attachments

• LRP SAT EAGLE RIVER.jpg
    LRP SAT EAGLE RIVER.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 11
  • LRP VECTOR EAGLE RIVER.jpg
    LRP VECTOR EAGLE RIVER.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 9
Oh, nice. It's good to get to know the people involved so if they do get a call about it or something, they say "Oh, that's Tom, it's ok".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998