DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting over the initial insecurities and self-consciousness...

ridebikesbro

Reactions
hey guys!
I just got my Mavic last week and wow...this thing is incredible. First time drone pilot and it blows my mind every time I use it.

My main goal with the Mav is for use in my YouTube Vlog and making cool cinematic videos of beautiful landscapes (mountains, beaches, etc.).

Now, the biggest thing I'm struggling with (after like 4 flights total) is this feeling of self-consciousness and a bit of fear combined with the adrenaline rush of getting it up in the air! I was wondering how you more experienced pilots got over this feeling (if you had it). I want to start flying it around more scenic spots where there will inevitably be other people around and I want to feel confident about it. Have you had people get pissed at you or get awkward about it? I've seen plenty of amazing drone videos on YT with shots in plenty of public places.

Sorry if this is a bizarre post but I'm sure I'm not the only one, I'm just a total noob at this hobby...any and all advice would be super welcome! Thanks!

I was actually the opposite. When I got my first phantom 1 with zenmuse 3d gimbal and gopro, I was a bold new pilot. I flew anywhere and didn't really care about what the public thought or how they felt about it. One day I was heckled at a park by a drum-circle-hippy guy that claimed he was in the business of breaking drones. He threatened me and told me I better not be filming him yada yada yada... I soon found out that it seems like a very polarized topic and people either love them or hate them. Now I feel like I am always sort of looking over my shoulder when I fly.

I think in general, knowing the laws and regulations will go a long way to help build your confidence and reassure you that what you are doing is fun and acceptable within the law. Besides that, just knowing how to handle your bird and not second guessing it is the second part to build your confidence. Lastly, if someone approaches you with a concern while you're in the air, take the opportunity to educate them and show them how it works. They should be able to see that you clearly aren't spying on people. It just takes time.

Almost got in fight with a little league coach at an open field as he claimed I was endangering the kids and the drone could loose control and hit someone. Considering I was 250-300 feet away from him/ them I felt his claim was unfounded.
I made the mistake of landing the Mavic Pro. Always always , always. Bring it to a hover near and above the subject who wants to call the Waaaaaaambulance and just pick a good angle and tap to focus. Take fingers off sticks . Now you have an "eye in the sky" that will record the discord between you and the other party. Then go into super chill mode and hope that the other party hits you.

If I had done that I would have had one hand free to fend off attacker and video evidence that the other party attacked me.

Now I always carry pepper spray and if someone is appearing hostile I shall pull it out and dispense as necessary. Its non lethal and an excellent deterrent. Have not had any episodes since.

The ball coach told me "take a swing". I had both hands full (RC and Mavic) and I just politely said " What are we 10 years old?" Then followed with "I have way too much to loose"

When I looked over all the kids had left the field before he marched out to me. I chastised him and indicated that the kids were going home and in the dugout under shelter so how in the world am I endangering anyone. You should have seen the spit fly out of his mouth after I said that ! It was priceless.

If you are flying well within the FAA "Guidelines" then ask them to what law they are referring as you are aware and if there has been an update you would like to research it.

So far I find its a 1:10 ratio. 1 jackass to every 10 people that have the standard questions.

1. Where did you get it?
2. How much was it?
3. How far can you fly?
4. Does it have a camera?
5. Can I fly it (usually little kids with this one)

I get tons of "Thats cool" and "Awesome" comments so those outweigh the "jackalopes"

One of the best experiences I had was when I was snow flying Tahoe creating this panorama
Sand Harbor South Lake Tahoe - 360° Photo - 2VR.in

and a guy came up with his fiance and very politely began asking questions. They were from Long Island on vacation. I took about 15 full minutes and told them about it and flew some aerial patterns. Then I asked them if they wanted a "real selfie" to which the gal said that would be huge "bonus".

I picked the spot near the water and setup my subjects (lol) - framed the shot and took 3 AEB shots . Stitched them together and post processed . Shared the link to the pic and they have downloaded it and are going to have it professionally printed for thier wall at home.

The guy also offered to take me out and show me the sights in Long Island when I visit the area to reciprocate.

2 examples from different end of the spectrum.

Just remember that you are not flying your Mavic for anyone but yourself and do what you like while maintaining an awareness of "Common Sense" and FAA Rules and Regulations.

Best to fly now the way you would like to as things could get even more restrictive in the future.

Almost got in fight with a little league coach at an open field as he claimed I was endangering the kids and the drone could loose control and hit someone. Considering I was 250-300 feet away from him/ them I felt his claim was unfounded.
I made the mistake of landing the Mavic Pro. Always always , always. Bring it to a hover near and above the subject who wants to call the Waaaaaaambulance and just pick a good angle and tap to focus. Take fingers off sticks . Now you have an "eye in the sky" that will record the discord between you and the other party. Then go into super chill mode and hope that the other party hits you.

If I had done that I would have had one hand free to fend off attacker and video evidence that the other party attacked me.

Now I always carry pepper spray and if someone is appearing hostile I shall pull it out and dispense as necessary. Its non lethal and an excellent deterrent. Have not had any episodes since.

The ball coach told me "take a swing". I had both hands full (RC and Mavic) and I just politely said " What are we 10 years old?" Then followed with "I have way too much to loose"

When I looked over all the kids had left the field before he marched out to me. I chastised him and indicated that the kids were going home and in the dugout under shelter so how in the world am I endangering anyone. You should have seen the spit fly out of his mouth after I said that ! It was priceless.

If you are flying well within the FAA "Guidelines" then ask them to what law they are referring as you are aware and if there has been an update you would like to research it.

So far I find its a 1:10 ratio. 1 jackass to every 10 people that have the standard questions.

1. Where did you get it?
2. How much was it?
3. How far can you fly?
4. Does it have a camera?
5. Can I fly it (usually little kids with this one)

I get tons of "Thats cool" and "Awesome" comments so those outweigh the "jackalopes"

One of the best experiences I had was when I was snow flying Tahoe creating this panorama
Sand Harbor South Lake Tahoe - 360° Photo - 2VR.in

and a guy came up with his fiance and very politely began asking questions. They were from Long Island on vacation. I took about 15 full minutes and told them about it and flew some aerial patterns. Then I asked them if they wanted a "real selfie" to which the gal said that would be huge "bonus".

I picked the spot near the water and setup my subjects (lol) - framed the shot and took 3 AEB shots . Stitched them together and post processed . Shared the link to the pic and they have downloaded it and are going to have it professionally printed for thier wall at home.

The guy also offered to take me out and show me the sights in Long Island when I visit the area to reciprocate.

2 examples from different end of the spectrum.

Just remember that you are not flying your Mavic for anyone but yourself and do what you like while maintaining an awareness of "Common Sense" and FAA Rules and Regulations.

Best to fly now the way you would like to as things could get even more restrictive in the future.
haha, awesome! thanks, appreciate the input. I guess it's probably all in my head so I'm sure I will have some great conversations and interactions with people, as well as some negatives.

I know exactly how you feel. The first couple flights I made I made in a relatively congested area and I was worried about everything under the sun, in addition to how the drone would respond to my input. I finally found an open desolate field that I could practice and immediately I felt much better. I made 10 flights in that field to learn,or so, and still use it Now.

Many People are idiots, and they're a little paranoid about drones because of all that we read in the media. For every 1000 drone flights that are fun and innocent, the media will report the one that was a problem. Same with posts here. In addition to some people who fly drones are idiots. Fly high over 250 feet, don't loiter over people and real estate, and you'll be fine.

Hang in there and keep flying. You'll get more comfortable and confident with every flight.

I put it up for its first flight in a open field becuase usually the commercials always make something look better than it is. Well, after years of flying prop-rc this thing is so solid that its kinda boring. I was so confident in it's ability I handed the controls with no coaching to a local yokel I know and he flew it without incident.

People in Nevada don't give a fudge about most things and a drone cruising 150ft above main st doesn't phase em in the slightest.

I'm taking it up to Tahoe soon so there, I imagine, will be some opinions (both ways) voiced. Californians think I want to hear what they think about things.

I'm an ******* by nature so I wouldn't take my opinion on this as something to model after.

Thats also a really good point. If you can get your Mavic Pro to 125 feet and above it is nearly imperceptible to the human ear. Then when people walk up just tell them the RC is a gameboy and not to interrupt you during game play.

One of the funniest things I heard tha actually make sense is to go to Harbor Freight and get one of those Orange Vests for 5 bucks. Then every time you fly put on the vest .People are so trained to see that Orange Vest as an official working persons vest they just assume you are a paid and approved drone surveyor.

Reactions: Scapegoat
I do not wish to fly anywhere near the general public. If something happens and the aircraft takes out daddys little girl, daddy may throw an error of his own and take out the pilot.

Based on observations around the forum, the mavic has yet to win my trust/confidence when it comes to flight anywhere remotely close to people, highways, and structures. I wouldn't ride a model of motorcycle with this many issues, nor take on a passenger. Think about it.

As far as anxiety goes, I'm feeling nervous about the maiden voyage which will take place in the next 1-2 weeks, conditions permitting. Once the first successful flight is in the books, I'm certain confidence will replace anxieties.

I can fly my Mavic within a few feet of me and have absolutely zero concerns for my safety. Its solid as long as GPS has a bunch of satellites. Its 1.62 lbs in weight.
That does not cause me to convulse with fear even at 40 mph across the sky.

hey guys!
I just got my Mavic last week and wow...this thing is incredible. First time drone pilot and it blows my mind every time I use it.

My main goal with the Mav is for use in my YouTube Vlog and making cool cinematic videos of beautiful landscapes (mountains, beaches, etc.).

Now, the biggest thing I'm struggling with (after like 4 flights total) is this feeling of self-consciousness and a bit of fear combined with the adrenaline rush of getting it up in the air! I was wondering how you more experienced pilots got over this feeling (if you had it). I want to start flying it around more scenic spots where there will inevitably be other people around and I want to feel confident about it. Have you had people get pissed at you or get awkward about it? I've seen plenty of amazing drone videos on YT with shots in plenty of public places.

Sorry if this is a bizarre post but I'm sure I'm not the only one, I'm just a total noob at this hobby...any and all advice would be super welcome! Thanks!

Pilot

If anyone hassle you over privacy, just say it's not recording. Maybe you werent?

I am self conscious in public places normally, but I;ve never been less self conscious flying my Drone, because I'm having too much Fun or concentrating.
The same rules for land kind of apply to the air. You can take a photo video, but youve got to have a basic subject.
Also I would move around and fly different Locales, so people dont have a reason to get annoyed
over time.

In my experience so far, people are either oblivious to it, could care less about it, or are genuinely fascinated by it. I think most people realise that they are a part of life now
If someone approached me whilst flying; I would simply ignore them and concentrate on my drone.
They are probably angry at something else in life anyway.

I think the best rule of thumb is to stay 30-50m away from people, unless, as i said above, your trying to get a great shot.
You will get a feel for if your being a **** with your drone, and if your not, then you have no reason to be self conscious right?

Lastly, If your going to post video/pics online, you might want to be a little careful. sure theres lots of threads about that. No post, you were never there :p

To add to the excellent comments above. If you ever used Lichti's online Mission Hub to pre plan your flights with Waypoints and Points of Interest Do not leave the route as "public" if you inadvertantlty planned a portion of your flight/ mission at an altitude over 400 feet AGL.

There are some listed on the Mission Hub that show clearly that the flight was over 400 feet AGL . Thats against FF best practice / guidelines. Actually its best not to post locations on your uploaded videos unless you know with certainty that it was completely legal and safe to fly where you have.

Just common sense really.

Keep flying. I fly mine for practice all the time. Practice that will get you the confidence you need. Do that prior to putting your bird in any potentially compromising positions.

I still feel as you do after a month of flying. I feel a little guilty when flying over houses, but I try to respect everyone's privacy. I try to avoid people, pets, wildlife etc. I will fly higher (over 200') if there are people or anything around. That way they don't hear or see it.
Of course it's cold out so right now not a lot of people around.
As you fly more you will build up your confidence and boldness. These Maviks are very sturdy.
Best advice is to have fun, be safe and avoid conflict.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Scapegoat
Awesome thread with great suggestions. I can add nothing to this as I have a grand total of three days flying. I think it likely that I will be doing a great deal of urban flying so hopefully I won't have to deal with drone haters much.

You do have to factor in general public when you fly. When this hobby was new people would come over with questions and thought it was cool. Now it's the guy trying to enforce laws that don't exist or people calling the police etc.

I've seen several videos on YouTube where pilots find remote locations to fly from. I'm assuming to avoid being bothered.

The Mavic is small and pretty quiet at altitude. It's the launch and recovery that gets all the attention.

Reactions: Anthonyk
After just a few weeks and few flights I'm fully on board with the self conscious aspect of this.
I managed to find a wide open space in the hills for my first flight and made sure no one could see me as I got used to the controls... and it soon became obvious that once it's 20' up the whole self consciousness thing dissipates instantly.
My recent flights are no different... 60 seconds of worrying and 20 minutes of not so much as thinking about it. That said I have always chosen spots at least 50m away from people and property and so far haven't had any undue interest (although someone did once ask me if I was ok when they saw me standing on a cliff edge staring into space!)

Reactions: ACR
You do have to factor in general public when you fly. When this hobby was new people would come over with questions and thought it was cool. Now it's the guy trying to enforce laws that don't exist or people calling the police etc.

I've seen several videos on YouTube where pilots find remote locations to fly from. I'm assuming to avoid being bothered.

The Mavic is small and pretty quiet at altitude. It's the launch and recovery that gets all the attention.

Especially if your flying at dawn at and come in %19 Battery on Litchi. Sounds like a jogger set off a rape alarm ;)!!

I just received my Mavic a week ago and had a chance to take it out for a test flight to get used to it. I chose a local park and stayed close and over some soccer fields. There is a sheriff station in the park and I did have one drive by me but didn't say anything. He probably just wanted to see what I was up to since the park was pretty empty.

Previously I owned all 3 of the Phantom 3's and flew them pretty extensively. For the most part no one hassled me but I do get questions like how much does it cost, how high/far can it go, etc. Parents will walk by with their kids and point out what I'm doing. I'll usually bring it in close so they can see it and then take off.

When it's nice I like to go to a park near me along the water and film the jet skis and boats. A couple times some people on jet skis were showing off and I got some pretty good footage.

I'll admit that I often feel somewhat self-conscious as well. Not because I'm worried the drone will go haywire, or because I'm not confident in my ability to fly it, but because I don't want other people to feel uncomfortable that I'm endangering them or that I'm spying on anyone. I try to keep it away from people as much as possible - I never fly over crowds, I take off and land in places away from people, I generally try to fly over trees, fields, etc. as much as I can. But despite all that I can't help be feel self conscious at times.

And out in the country I'm a bit nervous that a landowner will feel that I'm violating their privacy when flying over their land - I live in Texas and it's basically all ranch land here, most of it essentially empty except for trees, fields, cacti, livestock here and there and the occasional home or other structure. I don't really want some paranoid cowboy to shoot my drone...or me. Though with each flight the self-conscious feeling is less and less.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d