DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Clamp

I found it never really fit right from day one. Once clipped it was like the gimbal was maybe a couple mm to high and needed to angle downward.

I've taken to using a small micro fibre lens cloth, I actually cut a slit out of it for placement and wrap (tried initially with tissue) under the dome, no fear of clamp dislodging, no need to be fiddly getting it on etc. Gently cushiond & holds it in place

I cannot get the camera to fit the gimbal clamp at all. I can see where the clamp slides into recessed slots on the Mavic body but the camera assembly is nowhere near the clamp and it would be forcing the camera into a really unnatural position in order to squeeze it into the clamp. I can't also see why the clamp is really necessary. It would only protect the camera if you dropped the Mavi and a shock like that would probably break something else anyway. If anyone has any tips or pictures to show how the clamp fits around the camera I would be interested to see them. Otherwise I will buy the combo unit above.

Thanks that is a really helpful video. My problem is that when I alighn the clamp with it slots inside the Mavic body, the camera does not want to lean back far enough to fit correctly into the clamp. The vertical component of the gimbal does not want to lean back that far and I do not want to force it to do so. Looking closely at my gimbal assembly I have just noticed that there are two metal tabs on it and one of mine is inside and one outsideIMG_1572.jpg the Mavic body. See picture. I suspect that is the problem. Should they both be inside or outside the body? (Also why is there a little red tab visible at the front of the gimbal?)

Push the gimbal assembly down a bit and slide this tab back under the body:

upload_2018-4-28_11-6-9.png

Thanks. That now allows the camera to fit into the gimbal clamp OK. Easy solution in the end. Anyone know what the red tab is for?

Anyone know what the red tab is for?
It's one of the removable stickers DJI attaches to protect the surface of the drone. Many people remove those stickers. If you decide to remove that one, you'll need to hold the camera firmly with your other hand since it's a tough sticker to remove.

Thanks. I have taken it off but it seems like a wierd surface to want to protect. Perhaps it was there for some other reason like a making a visual reference for the front of the gimbal?

Why have a clear protector for a component which would not get damaged anyway? Why have a sticker that is so hard to remove? Why have a bright red tab? I think it was supposed to be left there for some reason.

Reactions: CandyMan_ZA
I think it was supposed to be left there for some reason.
This has been debated in great detail in other threads in this forum. Like the other stickers you probably already removed from your Mavic, this one can safely be removed too. Or you can keep it attached. The choice is yours.

Once you figure out how to attach it properly, I think it works quite well.

I've been using this gimbal lock for a few weeks and found it's faster to put on and take off since it's all one piece. It's similar (or identical) to the gimbal lock you linked above. The only thing I don't like about it is the tab on the back of the lock is a bit shorter than the tab on the OEM DJI dome. That makes it a little harder to grab it when removing the gimbal lock. Other than that small nitpick, I highly recommend it.

View attachment 17318

I use this one and agree that it works great. Just need to be gentle to not to break the tabs that hold the gimbal.

In respect of the small red tab on the gimbal I received this today from DJI: "With regards to your concern, the red tape is the dust seal cover for the gimbal. It can be removed. All you have to do is hold the gimbal camera and pull up the red tape in order to remove it. And yes, it is part of the manufacturing process. You need to remove it to avoid gimbal issue."
Useful to know but it is a bit surprising that it was so firmly stuck in place.

I have now realised that the reason my gimbal clamp would not fit was because the gimbal was wrongly fitted from the time I opened the box. In essence, when it is in flight, the gimbal assembly needs to be suspended with its four rubber bands supports held above the three metal plates in the body. (When you turn it upside down you should therefore see them below the plates.) If these are incorrectly positioned it will be impossible to attach the gimbal clamp correctly without putting too much force on the gimbal. It may also cause the controller to give Abnormal Gimbal Vibration warnings in flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078