DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal motor overload brand new out of the box

MavicGurl

Reactions
Hello i just bought a brand new MP and when i first opened it. It wanted to update which i did. And after the update was complete i noticed that the video was jittery and wobbly. And it say error "gimbal motor overload " i did IMU and compass and gimbal calibration multiple times and nothing happened. I spoke to DJI and they said since it was brand new(straight from china) it would be replaced with a new one. Im new to this thread and im new to drones but reading the horrow CS stories and the way DJI handl things makes me paranoid af. I wanna return this $1000 drone if this replacement is also a lemon. Has anyone returned thier Drones here and got the full money back? Since its china am i ****** or yhey respect return policy of united states? Thank!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Basics first - Have you removed the clear perspex gimbal clamp that slots in behind it ?

Thanks for the reply Chris, Yes I followed all the instructions. Removed the clamp before turning on.

Maybe it is a bad holding system. I see some people have trouble after a hard drop. The gimbal have 4 holder and sometimes they get misplaced. Maybe or you just get a Monday morning drone.
I have two P2V+ and a brand new MP and the build quality is fantastic!

Rymann, thanks for the reply. Mine was never dropped. Unless they man handled at shipping. But it seems ok the box seems intact. Everything was new and shiny. I was researching that actually and i know what youre talking about misaligned gimbal holder. Mine was brand new out of the box. I think i just got a defective one. I didn't realize the gimbal and camera of this machine is very very sensitive. Im now contemplating if this drone will last for a long time without problems. It might be a engineering or design problem. Reading the threads here with actual owners tells me this machine is not as good as the P3 or P4 when it comes to camera durability

OK , so gimbal clamp is removed. Does it look free moving when the clamp is removed ?

Check the gimbal plate has not come forward and is where it should be behind and then callibrate it via the menus. Do you still get the message ?

Chris yes i did all that. I was researching like crazy on youtube and i know what you mean. Thanks though

I would strongly recommend not getting it directly from DJI. Get it from BnH, Bestbuy or Amazon. DJI service sucks. They lied to me from the beginning. Their websites says ships 3-5 days after purchase. Not really, more like 15 days after purchase. And the return label they say 2 business days. It took them 4 days and i had to bug them about it. If you bought this at bestbuy itvwould have been replaced the same freakin day [emoji23]

I got the same error on a refresh drone out of the box. DJI accepted responsibility right away so I think it's a known problem. It has taken forever but they should ship mine Monday. The way it sounds they just replace with a brand new one and maybe not route it through service dept which is horrible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

I was having issues when the ribbon was not taking the correct bend. This is hard to explain but it was looping up instead of down. Take a look at the ribbons and make sure they are not dragging on anything. Just flexing when it moves.

New mavic delivered today. Gimbal was DOA right out of the box. No overload warning. Sucks!

New mavic delivered today. Gimbal was DOA right out of the box. No overload warning. Sucks!
Aww Im sorry about that, I am in the same boat waiting for B&H to tell me what to do. Did your gimbal clamp come off in shipping like mine did?

Thanks for the reply Chris, Yes I followed all the instructions. Removed the clamp before turning on.

I had problems with mine and i called adorama and they going to switch it out for me. At first they were like call DJI and have them diagnosis the problem but i told her that i don't wanna get the run around and that my photography business relys on it. I think they wanted my 60 day warranty to expire so that i wouldn't be able to get a new one. Now I'm just waiting for a new one and hoping i don't get a lemon.

I had problems with mine and i called adorama and they going to switch it out for me. At first they were like call DJI and have them diagnosis the problem but i told her that i don't wanna get the run around and that my photography business relys on it. I think they wanted my 60 day warranty to expire so that i wouldn't be able to get a new one. Now I'm just waiting for a new one and hoping i don't get a lemon.

60 days warranty? Wow thats great! Get the state farm insurance if youre not from California

does the gimble work?
if so i wouldn't touch the dji return option, ur just gonna end up with a refurb unit.
my said this from day one but only does this once in a while, its now got 20 hours and 350km of flight but works solidly no issues.

Hello i just bought a brand new MP and when i first opened it. It wanted to update which i did. And after the update was complete i noticed that the video was jittery and wobbly. And it say error "gimbal motor overload " i did IMU and compass and gimbal calibration multiple times and nothing happened. I spoke to DJI and they said since it was brand new(straight from china) it would be replaced with a new one. Im new to this thread and im new to drones but reading the horrow CS stories and the way DJI handl things makes me paranoid af. I wanna return this $1000 drone if this replacement is also a lemon. Has anyone returned thier Drones here and got the full money back? Since its china am i ****** or yhey respect return policy of united states? Thank!

Welcome to the family. And well my advice never buy something as expensive directly from china. Buy it from a local retailer so their are accountable on the warranty. Sad that you got a bad unit :(

Reactions: MavicGurl
Welcome to the family. And well my advice never buy something as expensive directly from china. Buy it from a local retailer so their are accountable on the warranty. Sad that you got a bad unit :(

I have a good unit now. Got it from B and H and it was only $949. And i bought all accessories from amazon. Cheap and return policy is good[emoji1303]

Reactions: stratos

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan