DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal reset in flight

So I'm not sure if you saw another member gave me a fix. Apparently the .600 version of the firmware update may have a glitch - I reverted to an earlier version (.400) and everything is fine. Give it a shot -

My gimbal problems also seem to have gone away after downgrading to .400

Appreciate that. Tried it, no difference what so ever

Me too. Still glitched after a couple minutes of recording. It is going to be in their shop tomorrow. Hope to hear good things soon like "thanks for providing a unit that reproduces the error so readily! With your help we have found the root cause and will be deploying the firmware fix in a couple days!"

One can dream...

Me too. Still glitched after a couple minutes of recording. It is going to be in their shop tomorrow. Hope to hear good things soon like "thanks for providing a unit that reproduces the error so readily! With your help we have found the root cause and will be deploying the firmware fix in a couple days!"

One can dream...

Well mine went back to the dealer today. You can produce the issue on mine every time, like clock work. They are going to have a tech look at it. I will post what ever happens when I hear something.

This has happened to me 2 times already. Really screws up a good video.

60+ flights and no problem. And today it happened like 3 times. Every information (Shutter speed, ISO, EV, etc.) is "N/A" and for 30 seconds, gimbal is moving like it is calibrating, and when it's over, horizon is tilted for 10-15 seconds. Really distracting.

Well mine went back to the dealer today. You can produce the issue on mine every time, like clock work. They are going to have a tech look at it. I will post what ever happens when I hear something.

Good luck. For me, they said the gimbal/camera replacement was covered under warranty so that is good. But I did not get any other feedback on what they might have found. I hope the replacement fixes it and I did ask them to do a test flight/record after. I'm not expecting much though. Will post if there is anything interesting.

So I sent the Mavic for repair, got back a new one, IT DOES THE SAME THING! A COMPLETELY NEW MAVIC! It didn't do it the first time, only the second time.

My ideas:

1) Maybe it's not used to a cat-1 64 GB SD card. After all it's the camera/gimbal system that resets, so maybe there's a buffer overflow of sorts. I've quickly replaced the card to a Sandisk ultra-extra-hyper fast cat 3 card, deliberately only 32 GB, the same one I have in my other Mavic which I haven't seen do this before. I'm half convinced that this "for 4K" thing is only a money grab because the card that comes with the Mavic is also cat-1 and up to about two months ago I haven't had a cat-3 SD card but w/e. Not having a 4K-supported card will no longer be a possible problem source.

2) Maybe it's the RC somehow. I got a new Mavic back but the old RC was returned. So I have relinked them anyway.

3) Maybe it's the firmware. Even though I use the same firmware on my other Mavic which never did this (yes, I have two so I don't have downtime if I should send one to service). Regardless, firmware updated.

--- did all 3 above, problem ceased to show itself after 4 batteries, but see below ---

4) SUNLIGHT. Or perhaps direct sunlight + the drone not moving around much. That was kind of a common theme in the two flights where I saw the gimbal reset. Maybe direct sunlight messes with the aircraft and the effects are mitigated by flying around with some cooling headwind. Then again, I'm sure people fly Mavics in Australia and Florida and lots of other much hotter places than here in the EU (it's not even the summer). So not hearing a lot of reports about this from all around makes me think this may not be it.

Anyone who has this problem, can you do verify or confirm the above ideas?

PS I've just found Camera system resets mid-flight...?
The two threads need to be merged... They're closer to the solution over there I think. And by the looks the SD card may have something to do with it. Or the filesystem on the SD card. Still way too many possibilities.

Last edited:
I done tests on the ground, with quite a few SD cards etc. Still happens. It's not weather or SD card related, it's the hardware. It's total crap that gimbal. I returned my Mavic to the store I bought it from, and my new one does not do any of it (touch wood) in the same conditions as the last one was doing it. Which for me concludes,the QA on the machines is rubbish and they were rush built / gimbal badly designed.

I don't know about doing tests.... I've just burned 4 batteries, no gimbal resets or anything. See the guy above with 60+ flights... I wouldn't be so sure that the new one doesn't have the fault just yet.

I don't know about doing tests.... I've just burned 4 batteries, no gimbal resets or anything. See the guy above with 60+ flights... I wouldn't be so sure that the new one doesn't have the fault just yet.
Yeah, I'm sure it can develop the fault, based on the gimbal being shite. That can happen to anyone and we'll have to deal with it if / when it happens. What I wasn't happy with was, being faulty and like that out of the box.

What I'm saying is that it may be something present in ALL Mavics, which is triggered by something specific, either in the controller (which wasn't changed when I got the new Mavic back), the card, sunbursts or His Noodly Appendage. We just don't know yet.

I've heard your take on this ("The gimbal being shite") and it's appreciated, but I'd rather keep an open mind to and would listen to other theories. The camera stopping recording and other circumstances suggest it's still an issue that manifests itself on the software level, even if originated from hardware issues. Maybe we'll figure it out eventually (or DJI will figure it out for one of us and then we can spread the word).

Reactions: HSK
Honest question here... Does anyone actually ever get SUPPORT from DJI Support or is it just the perpetual run around until we get tired and let them just keep our money... I'm so freaking sick of dealing with DJI.. They've sucked the love out of this hobby for me - I'm about ready to set my P3P on fire and see how far it will fly just to get a little satisfaction... I loved DJI for years during my P3P ownership - but having to go through support with my Mavic has made me loathe them as a company as they are the worst company that I've ever dealt with in my life (I am a software developer, previously in IT - I've dealt with the 'worst' over the years and DJI makes them all look A+)

Here's my rough timeline to date - and I still have no money, no Mavic, no sign of shipment:

2/17 - I paid DJI directly for a Mavic Pro

2/21 - Defective Mavic Pro delivered

[Flying new Mavic - noticing issues, but researching to make sure not user error]

[Out of Town]

[Flying new Mavic - noticing issues, but researching to make sure not user error]

3/7 - Called DJI to report observed 'Gimbal/Camera Freakout' issue. Since I admitted being new to the Mavic (P3P owner for 2+yr), I am urged by support to reach out to the community

[Out of Town]

3/20 - Open thread about issue: Mavic Pro Problem - Loss of Video and Gimbal Control During Flight

3/23 - DJI opens a case and request I send in my defective Mavic Pro for repair

3/24 - Shipped Mavic Pro to DJI using provided shipping label

3/30 - UPS Delivered defective Mavic Pro to DJI

4/3 - DJI updates case status to "Conducting Damage Assessment"

4/6 - DJI updates case status to indicated under repair

4/21 - 'Repaired' Mavic Pro is delivered to my home address

4/21 - I notify that the 'repaired' issue still exists exactly as described before repair - reproduced numerous times on first flight

4/25 - DJI opens a new case for 'repair'

4/27 - DJI sends me the shipping label

5/4 - I am notified by DJI that I am going to be sent a new Mavic Pro to replace the defective-out-of-the-box one they sent me

5/15 - Notification of UPS shipment

[Numerous contacts with DJI trying to figure out why they lie so much about shipping things since it's clearly not been handed off to UPS]

[DJISupport blocks me on Twitter - for sharing my truthful experiences publicly...they don't like this]

5/19 - Another notification of UPS shipment

5/23 - I see in the UPS status that the package is being held at the local sorting facility - citing that no street address was provided on the shipping label.

5/23 - Drive the 40 minute drive to the UPS facility. Upon arrival, I am presented with a battered refurb Phantom 3 Standard

5/23 - I notify DJI of their mixup - questioning how they can still be in business after treating their customers the way they regularly do.

5/24 – I am threatened with a BAN FROM THE FORUMS for sharing my experience on posts where other disappointed customers shared their similar experiences - <5 comments.

5/24 - Contacted by DJI via phone (Oscar) - am again assured that a supervisor will be keeping a personal eye on the case, ensuring that I am going to be taken care of this time. Rep also indicated that they'd like to compensate me for my troubles - eluding to free blades and a free battery (which I indicate I am not requesting - I simply want what I paid for in Feb).

5/24 - DJI provides me with a new return label to send back in the P3S they errantly sent me instead of my Mavic Pro (they claim they did sent it and that UPS messed things up - truth is that their originally provided tracking number showed ANY movement and never showed as picked up by UPS).

5/25 - I ship back the battered refurb P3S

5/30 - P3S is delivered by UPS to DJI

5/31 - DJI has told me 1) my package has shipped 2) my replacement Mavic shipment would be processed after they've completed the intake of the P3S.

I've shared this all (multiple times) in the DJI forum, but I figure that it's a matter of time before they ban me (already threatened), so I don't hold out any real hope for assistance on it.. Here it is for the curious in case they don't delete it: Where is my Mavic Pro? Paid 2/17. Nightmare. Bad Support.

Seriously... Just sick and tired of DJI... I honestly don't know how they've made it this long if this is their regular mode of support... I've actually reached out to a lawyer recently to share my experience and ask about recourse - he's currently reviewing my info to date and seems to think that there's grounds for a lawsuit (figuring that they've likely already had numerous, but just settle to prevent a class action from forming)... After reviewing my info, he was blown away when I pointed him to their forum and their DJISupport Twitter handle - having assumed I was probably just one of a few incidents, he was floored to see so many desperate pleas for help from the many people who DJI has seemingly just stolen money from...

Truly disappointing. Seems like they are in over their heads chasing the buck and have completely forgotten about customer experience. Which has to be number one in any decent business.

I still believe they have a "get as many Mavics out the door, deal with the returns later" mentality. Brush the complaints under the carpet and f*#k it.

Truly disappointing. Seems like they are in over their heads chasing the buck and have completely forgotten about customer experience. Which has to be number one in any decent business.

I still believe they have a "get as many Mavics out the door, deal with the returns later" mentality. Brush the complaints under the carpet and f*#k it.

Yeah, man... It's so frustrating to be on the receiving end of this, and with no lube to be found anywhere...

I think that their public friendliness makes it a more difficult pill to swallow as well - you can only be told so many hundreds of times, by dozens of different reps, that they're going to 'personally ensure that you're taken care of going forward' before it just feels like additional insult to injury.... I've literally been being told for months that I was going to be taken care of, that they'd personally ensure I got my replacement within the week, and all sorts of pleasantries - without ANY actual help...

And if you complain too vocally, they will just outright block you and move on... I was blocked on Twitter after I continued to ask for DJISupport help and then continued to update the thread with how little help I was actually getting - I was friendly the whole time (WHICH THEY'VE ACTUALLY ACKNOWLEDGED), but they just don't want people clicking on 'DJISupport' and seeing all of that...and blocking the legit complaints is apparently their preferred approach over 'actually fixing the problems'...

There've recently been some complaint videos that have caught traction with some guys I've communicated with on Twitter.. Of course the comments of those videos turned into a fair amount of "me too" - with me joining in on the me toos.. DJI Support will respond to the negative comments with flat out incorrect information in an attempt to paint themselves in a positive light... At this point in time, I've become convinced that they're all in cahoots - taking turns acting like they're going to help, talking about how much they understand and relate to your plight, only to just let you fade back into the queue... It sucks so bad... I've never felt about a company like I do about them now - which is just a kick in the pants when I look over at my P3P and think about how fond of DJI and their products I was just 4 months ago... I know this much - they won't get another dime from me, nor will they get another recommendation for the rest of my life. I hope they choke on this and go out of business sooner rather than later.

For me the problem has ceased on both my Mavics since I replaced the 64 gig SD card to a cat3 high speed 32 gig one. And I've flown both (one of the quads probably a dozen times or more - never a glitch).

Reactions: Alex S.
For me the problem has ceased on both my Mavics since I replaced the 64 gig SD card to a cat3 high speed 32 gig one. And I've flown both (one of the quads probably a dozen times or more - never a glitch).

Thanks!

Looks weird...

This isn't SD card related. This in-flight gimbal calibration happened to me twice today and has never happened before today. I have flown dozens of batteries on the latest (present) FW and the SD card is the same one I've always used, nothing changed but it happened to me twice today.

This isn't SD card related. This in-flight gimbal calibration happened to me twice today and has never happened before today. I have flown dozens of batteries on the latest (present) FW and the SD card is the same one I've always used, nothing changed but it happened to me twice today.

Do you use Windows or Mac to read the SD card?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom