DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal yaw control available?

Droning on and on...

Reactions
The A2S gimbal yaw and pitch could be controlled by dragging your finger around on the display. It had nearly ±90° yaw range.

How does the A3 compare?

Reactions: Paul Harvey
The Air 3 gimbal controllable range is greater than its predecessors. You can compare them here.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks @msinger that page is loaded with good info!

However, it doesn't address the gimbal yaw range, so that questions still outstanding. Also, can you control gimbal yaw with the Fly display like you can on the A2S?

Thanks @msinger that page is loaded with good info!

However, it doesn't address the gimbal yaw range, so that questions still outstanding. Also, can you control gimbal yaw with the Fly display like you can on the A2S?

The See More Specs link opens to DJI's specs, including the gimbal. Don't know about control via the screen; presumably the same as earlier models.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 141749.jpg

Yes, you can drag it with your finger. The controllable horizontal range seems tiny. This is in contrast to the vertical range, which goes a full 60° above zero, which is amazing.

All the DJI drones I have had get yaw movement using the overall rotation ability of the drone. The small actual yaw capability is used only to compensate for momentary shifts of the drone’s heading due to wind or other momentary disturbances.

Reactions: Torque
Only ± 5° laterally vs. ± 80° on the Air 2S.
Big difference!

That sux... IIRC during RTH you could look around with this feature on the A2S. Made it possible to simulate a cable-cam, or having a separate pilot while you play cameraman.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
All the DJI drones I have had get yaw movement using the overall rotation ability of the drone. The small actual yaw capability is used only to compensate for momentary shifts of the drone’s heading due to wind or other momentary disturbances.

You didn't have an A2S?

This was a capability of that model that I took note of when I had it, for the very reasons you cite above. It's pretty cool.

I think you are confusing gimbal stabilization with the manual lateral camera dragging capabilty, independent of the drone yawing. It isn't used for momentary shifts due to wind. It allows the camera operator to change the camera direction without changing the drone orientation.

It is most useful when the drone has already landed, but still intentionally recording, but the subject has moved out of the current field of view. ±5° won't help much, but ± 80° is very useful for discreet surveillance of a drug meet from the top of a telephone pole for LEO!

That sux... IIRC during RTH you could look around with this feature on the A2S. Made it possible to simulate a cable-cam, or having a separate pilot while you play cameraman.
Cool! I'll have to try that sometime on mine. It is a unique capacity that escaped me. Cable-Cam and more landing on tops of telephone poles to come! Just need to make sure I still leave enough power (greater than 10%) so it can still launch to fly off the pole! Recovery might otherwise be difficult! LOL!

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun