DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Glad I bought a Mavic instead of a P4 Pro

Mavic Maniac

Reactions
I was really on the fence and ended up just going with my gut feeling, and the fact that I never did like the look of the Phantoms (even though I've owned several). I've had my Mavic for a couple of weeks now and every time I fly it I like it more. I've spent extra time learning how to get the best shots, and I'm always amazed at the quality I get from this tiny camera/gimbal. It has to be alien technology, lol. I have not had one problem at all with my machine. Only upgrade I've done is Litchi and FPV Goggles (highly recommend if you haven't done it yet). Was anyone else here considering the Phantom 4 Pro? And just for the record, I'm not saying anything negative about the P4P I'm just saying it's not for me.

Attachments

• DJI_0040.JPG
    DJI_0040.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 256
These, and they are awesome. I use them with my iPhone 6 Plus. I also bought a lightning to usb cable with a right angle into the phone, although not mandatory.
https://www.amazon.com/MSRM-Glasses...1483331578&sr=8-1&keywords=msrm+3d+vr+glasses

61nwsuWyQkL._SL1161_.jpg

Reactions: jointeffort
Now that I have goggles, it's about the only way I fly. Going back to a phone or tablet is just so inferior. I do use the GO app to set up and calibrate, but the last 20 or so flights I was all Litchi all the time and with no issues.

Okay good to know, I've only had the mavic for a week or so and still figuring things out. Do you know if the "autopilot" app is any good? Or how it compares to Litchi?

Allan

Good to see that you are happy with your decision. Power and portability is what sold me on the Mavic (still waiting for my preorder...). I had the Typhoon H. I like the craft, but the size was too much for on the fly shoots. Size does matter. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

You should modify your goggles to enable your phone's camera. Litchi has a very nice function which allows switching to the phone camera while in VR mode, so you can see what's happening around yourself without the need for removing the goggles. This can be assigned to one of the remote's buttons, too.

I was really on the fence and ended up just going with my gut feeling, and the fact that I never did like the look of the Phantoms (even though I've owned several). I've had my Mavic for a couple of weeks now and every time I fly it I like it more. I've spent extra time learning how to get the best shots, and I'm always amazed at the quality I get from this tiny camera/gimbal. It has to be alien technology, lol. I have not had one problem at all with my machine. Only upgrade I've done is Litchi and FPV Goggles (highly recommend if you haven't done it yet). Was anyone else here considering the Phantom 4 Pro? And just for the record, I'm not saying anything negative about the P4P I'm just saying it's not for me.
I've been in the same position as yourself. Flown P2 and P3 quads before and really impressed by the reviews of the P4Pro but the important factor of portability kept coming back since my main craft is an Inspire 1 Pro. So this morning I went out and bought the Fly More kit from EBay, collected it in person and it's currently beside me charging the RC. Can't wait to fly it - might even look at those FPV goggles you mention.

I wanted to say that I don't like the look of the Phantom's.... But did not want to say that in a DJI forum... But now that you said it... I will agree with you :cool: Thumbswayup

and the fact that I never did like the look of the Phantoms (even though I've owned several).

Okay good to know, I've only had the mavic for a week or so and still figuring things out. Do you know if the "autopilot" app is any good? Or how it compares to Litchi?

Allan

To put it simply litchi is like "iPhone" and autopilot is like "android" both work great one is more intuitive than the other. It's a matter of preference. Autopilot tales a lot more thought and you can do more if you have the patience.

While waiting on my Mavic I also almost talked myself into a P4P too-- didn't succeed.
Mavic arrived, I've barely flown it- learning curve and winter weather (I'm a newbie)--
I don't hike or travel much but The big surprise for me that the portability factor had waaaay-way-way more value than I could've appreciated from reading forums and watching YouTube vids.
Portability plus the fun factor leads me to think I will be flying Mavic way more often than I would've flown a P4P.

Fly more combo
iPhone 5s
5 week delivery DJI direct

Reactions: mchrisb03
I contemplated canceling my Mavic and getting P4P just out of frustration of waiting so long. I'm glad I didn't. I still want the P4P though that camera has me drooling not to mention 360 degree obstacle avoidance. Now I have to decide whether I'll get that also or wait for the Mavic 2 which may have some of those features.

To put it simply litchi is like "iPhone" and autopilot is like "android" both work great one is more intuitive than the other. It's a matter of preference. Autopilot tales a lot more thought and you can do more if you have the patience.

That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Allan

I was told there's no output for the goggles on the Mavic. How did you get them connected?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh