DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good for a beginner?

Hello from the Crossroads of America squarewheels.

You have to start at some point, and the Mavic 3 PRO is a heck of an advanced aircraft to start with as a beginner.

But it it does have all of the "bells and whistles" included that one could wish for.

DJI aircraft are easy to fly if you read the manual and understand how they operate.

While thinking about flying, take the TRUST test and get that taking care of.

It's a free no fail test about the basics of drone flights.

Good luck with your shopping and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome, regarding the Mavic 3 Pro as a beginner drone, FAR too expensive for a beginner in my opinion.
If you are not lucky you could destroy it in your first crash.

Better to start with a second hand Mavic Mini or Mini 2. If you crash one of those and destroy it you wont have lost too much in the way of money. If you like it you can upgrade and sell the starter drone or keep it for 'stupid flying' or a backup.
Also bear in mind any restrictions that result from the mass/weight of the drone .

Welcome to the forum. Be prepared for different opinions, from different points of view. That is the greatest benefit I get from all the posts and replies. Different pilots express different experiences. Many are common sense reminders.... others are important viewpoints that I never would have considered, and am grateful for all of them.
I've been flying my Mavic 3 Classic since November. NO REGRETS! Looking back, I regret wasting my money on 'budget' drones in the $300 - $400 range. I have a problem 'settling' for less, knowing there is something that I really wanted. I didn't know better back then. I had no clue of who DJI was, nor the fine line of drones they offered. The Classic and the Pro are pretty much the same drone except for the advanced cameras on the pro. If you have the money to invest, I would get the Pro that you have your eye on. My Classic was such a dream to fly the first day out. It is no harder to fly than any other drone, actually it's quite sweet and very forgiving. With the obstacle avoidance system you'll get, it's really safer to fly than cheaper models. You will have more to learn when trying to master the 3 cameras, but WOW... you've got a 'top shelf' drone! You will want for nothing!... whereas with the cheaper drones you will always be feeling..."I could have had..." and "I could have had THOSE features of the Pro". I've still got my cheaper drones, thinking I'll sell 'em , but to who? Who do I dislike that much? I would encourage a serious 1st time buyer to go for the gold (as best your pocketbook will allow). You can always easily sell the Pro vs trying to sell a budget model.
This is my point of view. Have fun, fly safe, and just like MA2 mentioned above, get your TRUST certificate right away.

Be prepared for different opinions, from different points of view.
Thanks, I've run a forum for over 20 years (blood banking and, for 10, a cycling forum), so I know I'll get many opinions. :)

I have a problem 'settling' for less, knowing there is something that I really wanted.
Yup, I agree with this. When I was 18, I bought a nice Les Paul, but they had a custom hanging right next to it for a few hundred more. After a month or so, I asked to trade in the one I bought and took a hit on it because it needed to be sold as used. I bought the custom, 40 years later, I still have it.

I don't mind spending money on a quality product, and this drone seems like it definitely is high quality.

My biggest concern was someone was going to say it's a very steep learning curve and would take months just to read the book. I watched a video on the Cine, that seems like it would take a long time to learn, and it's way outside of anything I'd ever need.

Great info, thank you all for replying.

Reactions: MA2 317
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

@squarewheels firstly welcome to the forum
with regards to your original post ,you will be perfectly fine ,starting with a Mini 3 pro
or indeed any of the DJI mini line up
if you are not concerned about the cost of the drone ,and you have definitely decided that the hobby is for you ,then get the best Mini drone ,currently on the market IMO, and you will not be disappointed
when you first get the drone ,forget about taking wonderful pics and videos to start with and keep away from the auto modes till you have mastered ,flying the drone yourself ,so you will be capable of controlling the drone if things go sideways
once you have mastered the basics ,then you can concentrate on the amazing pics and video that this little marvel is capable of
good luck with your new adventure yours OMM

Welcome to the forum. Be prepared for different opinions, from different points of view. That is the greatest benefit I get from all the posts and replies.
I have no arguement with anything MichaelAllen1 said ........ but there is one thing that I think it is probable that you, Squarewheels, will do and that is crash the drone.
I would suggest that there are very few drone flyers who have not. The risk of that is inherent in flying them.

I have no arguement with anything MichaelAllen1 said ........ but there is one thing that I think it is probable that you, Squarewheels, will do and that is crash the drone.
I would suggest that there are very few drone flyers who have not. The risk of that is inherent in flying them.
DJI Care is a great investment to cover the pilot errors of new pilots that lead to crashes. It will be money well spent for the OP, especially on an expensive aircraft like the Mavic 3 Pro! DJI Care wasn't available when most of us DJI "veterans" started with DJI, so we had to learn on cheap Hubson and Syma drones that were expendable! Nothing beats the experience of lots of stick time, especially in ATTI mode!

Last edited:
Reactions: maggior
Thanks, I've run a forum for over 20 years (blood banking and, for 10, a cycling forum), so I know I'll get many opinions. :)

Yup, I agree with this. When I was 18, I bought a nice Les Paul, but they had a custom hanging right next to it for a few hundred more. After a month or so, I asked to trade in the one I bought and took a hit on it because it needed to be sold as used. I bought the custom, 40 years later, I still have it.

I don't mind spending money on a quality product, and this drone seems like it definitely is high quality.

My biggest concern was someone was going to say it's a very steep learning curve and would take months just to read the book. I watched a video on the Cine, that seems like it would take a long time to learn, and it's way outside of anything I'd ever need.

Great info, thank you all for replying.
In terms of just flying and using the camera in the most basic way, there's no difference in learning between a Mavic 3 and a Mini. The differences come in camera capabilities for more advanced ways to capture photos and videos, from the different lenses, to setting waypoints, etc...

IMO if you're just wanting to learn and have fun and maybe shoot some nice photo/video for personal use, then you will, to some degree, be throwing money away on the Mavic 3 Pro because you're paying for features you won't ever use and you can get a Mini3 or an Air2s that are super stable and capable for much less. Admittedly, I tend to not be that rational in my decision-making, so if money is not an issue, just get whatever you want* and know that it's going to be pretty easy to fly. But if wind-resistance is a big factor, know that the Mavic 3 Pro isn't like, dramatically better than the Mini3 or Air2s in this regard...I've taken my Air2s out in 25mph winds and it didn't even flinch.

*I will say that getting the Cine is definitely a waste of money since you're basically paying a ton of money for the "privilege" of shooting Apple ProRes and basically nothing else.

I've never owned a drone before and was considering this: Buy DJI Mavic 3 Pro (DJI RC) - DJI Store

Is that something a beginner could (relatively) easily learn to use?

I live in western Tennessee, and it's always a little breezy here, so I thought something smaller might be frustrating.
Thank you

The concerns about smaller drones in wind are somewhat overstated.

I'd consider a Mini 2 for minimum cost and a Mini 3 Pro for something more advanced. If you find that you enjoy flying drones and need more camera features and higher speeds, you can move up to a Mavic 3. You'll be able to sell the smaller drone with only a small loss. And you may decide to keep it for travel.

I've never owned a drone before and was considering this: Buy DJI Mavic 3 Pro (DJI RC) - DJI Store

Is that something a beginner could (relatively) easily learn to use?

I live in western Tennessee, and it's always a little breezy here, so I thought something smaller might be frustrating.
Thank you
Greetings:
I actually just purchased a Mavic 3 Pro (total drone newbie!) and can give you some very fresh and relevant insights from a beginner:

Pros: DJI's Mavic 3 Pro is a 'state of the art' hobby (and pros, too!) drone that offers all kinds of really cool features and technology. Local drone veterans in my area told me to go for it and spend the extra $$ to buy this 'top of the line' model (rather than a model of lesser utility). But only if I'm 'all in' to pursue a new drone hobby. I am! In the short time that I've flown the Pro, I fully understand all the passion, plaudits (and frankly, hyperbole) you'll see on Youtube. I made a smart purchase. A year from now, I fully believe I'll have made the right choice and will 'grow into' this model as I sharpen my skills and experience. Can't wait to make cool pro videos and photos!!
Cons: Buying DJI's new 'top of the line' product does come with a pretty hefty price tag. This model has a steep learning curve for beginners. Flying drones, in my newbie opinion, is a niche hobby and it's been surprisingly challenging for me to find professional (read: patient), inexpensive and easily accessible flight instruction locally. Sure, there are flight schools and instructor programs advertised on YouTube and drone websites, but they're few and far between in my opinion for nervous beginners. Take another niche hobby like fly fishing as a (bad!!) example. There are countless fly schools, enthusiast clubs, destination resorts and retailers ready to deliver professional instruction. Not drones. I expect others reading this to disagree, however. So here's how I'm learning: First, just fly! (a.) Seek out drone 'best practices' and tips from local flight veterans. I discovered them locally posting on Facebook supporting drone clubs. (b.) I've spent hours watching Youtube drone enthusiast videos focused on the Mavic 3 Pro. They're really educational and supportive from some of the best in the business. (c.) There is a prestigious national (mostly fixed wing) flight club 'squadrons' in every US city. Cheap to join. There, I found lots of veteran drone pilots ready to assist me - basically for free. They're on speed dial now. lol!
(d.) Finally, I most recently discovered an M3P drone reviewer on Youtube who sells portable flight and photo operational 'cheat sheets' to bring with me out into the field. Can install them on your phone. They're cheap to purchase, easy to read, learn and very comprehensive. Flattened my learning curve, for sure. Love 'em. Conclusion: I'd seriously go for it and buy the new Mavic 3 Pro! But take into consideration the points above and make an informed decision.

Finally, I most recently discovered an M3P drone reviewer on Youtube who sells portable flight and photo operational 'cheat sheets' to bring with me out into the field. Can install them on your phone. They're cheap to purchase, easy to read, learn and very comprehensive. Flattened my learning curve, for sure. Love 'em.

Do you have a link for these? I'm wondering if I've seen them or if this is something new - they sound interesting and worth a look.

I've spent hours watching Youtube drone enthusiast videos focused on the Mavic 3 Pro. They're really educational and supportive from some of the best in the business.
Some you tubers are good to very good. The problem is that for every good one there is a multitude of others who ..........

No question. You have to view many with caution.
True with any enthusiast community on Youtube or chat rooms.

The Mavic 3 Classic would be the better choice. Unless you think you will need the telephoto lenses. The Classic will be a great learning drone. AND future proof. Take your time and don't get in a hurry to fly like the "big boys" You will get there.

It's a great drone. I recommend getting care refresh as if you bounce it off a tree you are out a lot of money. It has as good obstacle avoidance as any drone and better than many. Were it me, I would start flying in a wide open space and take a lot of time practicing maneuvers because the cost is substantial to me. My first question to myself would be will I fly it enough to get enjoyment commensurate with the cost. Pilot institute has a good number of free videos to include some really good practice maneuvers. I would stay away from most of the Yayhoo reviewers for good advice. Take the time to fully understand the information provided by the controller. Know when you are starting to loose signal etc. There's a lot to learn but you don't have to master it all at once. Start simple get some muscle memory built up on the sticks and try the next thing. Should keep you busy for while and be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
The thing is that is the learning curve on a Mini 1/2/3 or Mavic 3 Pro is the same to a large degree. What's different is the amount of investment lost if you crash or lose the drone.

As a fellow guitar player, I get your LP analogy @squarewheels . I had an LP Studio for a few years but always thought the LP Standard would offer significantly more. Eventually I sold my Studio and upgraded to the Standard. A very worthwhile upgrade!!

Certainly the M3P will do whatever you could ever hope to do with a drone so it won't leave you lacking. Getting the DJI Care coverage for potential crashes I think is a good idea. Take it slow and easy and start out in a big wide open area. Don't test it out in your house! GPS signal will likely be weak and it will fly itself into a wall or furniture.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope