DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good job dji, NFZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolBreeze

Reactions
Knowing their have been post with NFZ issues...

Daily I fly with airport approval, (my letter of agreement/notification and returned airport tower Ph.call) from my home within controled airspace, 3.8 miles from airport tower.

Due to area air show in conjunction with Unlimited Hydroplane race. A TFR zone is in affect.

To know how Mavic would respon, indoors I started Mavic and immediately "You are in a NFZ" message and instantly Mavic shut down.

I don't mind sharing my home air space with Air Force Raptor.
Good job dji, very effective!

Last edited:

Daily I fly with airport approval, (my letter of agreement/notification and returned airport tower Ph.call) from my home within controled airspace, 3.8 miles from airport tower.

Due to area air show in conjunction with Unlimited Hydroplane race. A TFR zone is in affect.

To know how Mavic would respon, indoors I started Mavic and immediately "You are in a NFZ" message and instantly Mavic shut down.

I'm new so please forgive me if this has been covered before but has anyone tried flying using wifi and their phone in these areas? Considering the limitations of that method, you'd think it would be okay.

I'm new so please forgive me if this has been covered before but has anyone tried flying using wifi and their phone in these areas? Considering the limitations of that method, you'd think it would be okay.

Unfortunately for non commercial drone pilots NFZ and TFR, temporarily flight restrictions, means...
NO FLY...
Not find a way around.

Balsa wood gliders probably acceptable.

You might think one could fly below tree level or in a wooded tree path area, nevertheless not so.

Unfortunately for non commercial drone pilots NFZ and TFR, temporarily flight restrictions, means...
NO FLY...
Not find a way around.

You might think one could fly below tree level or in a wooded tree path area, nevertheless not so.

You'd think you could fly in your own house...

Good point. Then Mavic would have to know it's in a house and someone would leave a door open and zoom your outside.

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. You would be flying in vision mode (or whatever it's called) no gps. Anyway, they should prohibit gps mode in NFZ's but allow the other modes. Restrict range and altitude to 100-200 feet. Shoulds like a decent compromise to me!

Im afraid compromises would escalate the "what ifs." Opening more possibilities for something going wrong. It's not a perfect world and poor decisions are made by many. FAA controls airspace and set the rules.

I have a drone with 30 meter range, but it's so light you can lose it in a breeze. It could end up in flight path of an air show plane.

I don't have an issue with established rules, not perfect in this young sport, but rules, standards and laws are to help guard against incidents happening. All sports have rules. Even though I would like to fly above 400 ft. I don't, the rule/law is for a reason.

So I don't fly off my deck for a couple days, I have the choice to leave NFZ. I think if I lived in a permanent NFZ location I would change sports and drive model cars or boats.

Reactions: Masheen
Im afraid compromises would escalate the "what ifs." Opening more possibilities for something going wrong. It's not a perfect world and poor decisions are made by many. FAA controls airspace and set the rules.

I have a drone with 30 meter range, but it's so light you can lose it in a breeze. It could end up in flight path of an air show plane.

I don't have an issue with established rules, not perfect in this young sport, but rules, standards and laws are to help guard against incidents happening. All sports have rules. Even though I would like to fly above 400 ft. I don't, the rule/law is for a reason.

So I don't fly off my deck for a couple days, I have the choice to leave NFZ. I think if I lived in a permanent NFZ location I would change sports and drive model cars or boats.

Yea i guess...

Reactions: blackbird
What I would like to clarify on these NFZs is what actually happens if you are outside a NFZ flying and encounter the zone. Does it warn you that you are entering one or do you get a forced Landing with no choice.
No one has yet stated exactly what happens apart from some posts regarding crashes into water.

Reactions: jcp411
What I would like to clarify on these NFZs is what actually happens if you are outside a NFZ flying and encounter the zone. Does it warn you that you are entering one or do you get a forced Landing with no choice.
No one has yet stated exactly what happens apart from some posts regarding crashes into water.
I flew into one and the app warned me. It said I was coming up on one and I turned around. However, I'm not in the most recent firmware; I'm two behind.

First post of this kind i have seen.

Well done and great attitude!

Don't blur the lines between rules and laws. Big difference there.

It's sanctimonious all knowing hypocrites such as yourself that are actually bad for the "hobby" spouting your what if scenarios and fear mongering.

Name a major life threatening accident caused by any drone. Back up your talk with facts, not the tired regurgitated Drone Police talking points we've all heard over and over again.

It's beyond hilarious and a bit nutty that you think a drone flying with WIFI in someone's home is going to somehow fly out of the doorway get caught in a breeze and then "into the flight path of an air show plane."

Yes, you're right! A small drone connected via WIFI with a top speed of 40mph and WIFI range is going to catch a breeze and then keep up with a air show plane moving 3 to 4 hundred mph hundreds of feet in the air.

No wonder people have ill feelings towards drones. Guys like you running around with insane what ifs and fear mongering. Keep up the great work!

I flew into one and the app warned me. It said I was coming up on one and I turned around. However, I'm not in the most recent firmware; I'm two behind.

It happened to me today and startled me because I was watching the drone so I didn't see the message but only heard the alarm. I'm like wtf? Hahaha!

Reactions: PROMOLOZO
If anything is acceptable I'd answer "why not mine". No reason I can't fly my Mavic/whatever within the same bounds as said balsa glider.

Good point. Then Mavic would have to know it's in a house and someone would leave a door open and zoom your outside.
No, it would have to allow you to bypass the lock becasue you know what you're doing and are not going to go outside.

It's sanctimonious all knowing hypocrites such as yourself that are actually bad for the "hobby" spouting your what if scenarios and fear mongering.

Name a major life threatening accident caused by any drone. Back up your talk with facts, not the tired regurgitated Drone Police talking points we've all heard over and over again.

It's beyond hilarious and a bit nutty that you think a drone flying with WIFI in someone's home is going to somehow fly out of the doorway get caught in a breeze and then "into the flight path of an air show plane."

Yes, you're right! A small drone connected via WIFI with a top speed of 40mph and WIFI range is going to catch a breeze and then keep up with a air show plane moving 3 to 4 hundred mph hundreds of feet in the air.

No wonder people have ill feelings towards drones. Guys like you running around with insane what ifs and fear mongering. Keep up the great work!

I actually had this argument with someone on another drone forum. I posted a pic from 423' and he claimed I could be put in jail and threatened to turn me in to the FAA! I'll go you one further, there's a difference between guidelines, rules and laws.

One question that I just thought of is, I've gotten clearance to fly by a small airport to film some friends flying their ultralight. Is that even possible now?

If anything is acceptable I'd answer "why not mine". No reason I can't fly my Mavic/whatever within the same bounds as said balsa glider.

No, it would have to allow you to bypass the lock becasue you know what you're doing and are not going to go outside.

Like I said, I would settle for reasonable limitations. The "airport" that was causing my warning today is a grass field that 3 or 4 rich guys have hangers on and probably take their planes out once a month, if that. I've honestly never seen a plane take of or land there but I have seen the planes.

:cool:

Wow! Name calling, that's helpful:(.

I know of no major incident caused by a drone. Nevertheless, are you implying an incident can't happen? I don't want to be the first person to cause or be on the receiving end of an incident.

Perhaps my "Safety View" stems from serving in the Navy Airforce working on aircraft. One night while on the flight deck a young sailor walked into a spinning propeller. He was short cutting safety procedures.

I also was a SCUBA diver and followed safety procedures. My and dive buddies safety depended on good safe decisions.

As a Manager Human Resources, I've been responsible for writing safety procedures. Gives me the "What if outlook."

A DUI driver crossed road center line and hit me on my motorcycle, 50 mph zone. Two cardiac arrest, 11 days induced coma, 9 operations, kidney dialysis, 6 months hospital and rehab centers, and two more months home physically therapy before I had the strength to walk upstairs to my bedroom.
Someone's poor decision changed my life.

I don't believe in accidents! Most Incidents happen because of decisions made.

I Also realize many gray areas in young drone sport and Political pressure has the ability to stifle drone flying.

Just trying to say, "Fly Safe My Friend"

Yes, I have the same question and if flying from controled airspace into restricted airspace. I don't want to test the boundaries to find out.

Like I said, I would settle for reasonable limitations. The "airport" that was causing my warning today is a grass field that 3 or 4 rich guys have hangers on and probably take their planes out once a month, if that. I've honestly never seen a plane take of or land there but I have seen the planes.
Have you contacted and tryed to set up ongoing flight ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie