DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GoPro Hero 6 vs Mavic Pro - Camera compare

Damaran

Reactions
I have a problem with determining the image quality from both cameras. In my opinion, the picture is the same, which results from the size of the sensors and the use of 4K. The problem is that GoPro uses wide-screen mode and Mavic does not. GoPro pushes 4K at 160 degrees or uses digital zoom to reduce the angle, Mavic uses 81 degrees and also uses 4K. The logic then tells me that the image from Mavic is more sharp and uses 4K better, except that it would depend on a wide angle or linear mode.

The resolution and bitrate are the same. GoPro offers, I think, more options for adjusting the image to my needs. Observing the tests, I have the impression that Mavic also cope better with high sensitivity (max ISO), especially during the evening and night recording.

This is not a question about which drone is better, only which camera offers better image quality. Nothing will make me decide to buy GoPro karma, despite the fact that it is currently available at a reduced price. However, I would like to be able to refer to the discussion on the web, in which the GoPro camera still has superiority over the mavic camera.

In my opinion, Mavic Pro offers better image quality (sharper) than GoPro, which also results from a smaller viewing angle and better use of 4k. If, of course, I would care for a wide angle, I would compromise.

Unfortunately, on YouTube I can not find nice tests showing this comparison + commentary, objective, indicating specific differences. So I'm happy to get to know your opinion on this topic.

The discussion would not take place without the price reduction of GoPro Karma. In practice, there is now the possibility of buying Karma much cheaper, which in combination with gimbal makes this product in my opinion again, in its own way, became competitive to much better equipped Dji Mavic. Personally, even considering Dji Spark, I am able to find 15 strong arguments why it is better than Karma, especially since I do not use 4K (lack of power of video editing equipment), but I do not want to give up flying at night.

The discussion would not take place without the price reduction of GoPro Karma. In practice, there is now the possibility of buying Karma much cheaper, which in combination with gimbal makes this product in my opinion again,
I think it "boils down" to do you see yourself using the GoPro camera & gimbal as a "stand alone" unit, if so then the Karma wouldn't be a bad choice. With that said, you will get next to no support with the Karma because GoPro has shut down that business unit

The GoPro Hero 6 camera has a shorter focal length lens than the Mavic. It is fixed focus so that you do not need to focus it. It does not have as wide an aperture as the Mavic lens, so it does not gather as much light. For the same scene, it would need slower shutter speed or higher ISO to get the same exposure. The GoPro lens is a fisheye lens although the camera can be set to correct this in linear mode, or it can be corrected in the GoPro software afterwards. The wide angle can be useful when you need to capture a large area but are limited by legal altitude.
The GoPro camera has many more video modes, including 4K at 60 fps and 1080 at 240 fps. See https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/available-video-resolutions-for-hero6-black for a list. It also has electronic image stabilization which works very well. I have not seen side by side by side comparisons so I can't comment on the still image quality except to say that it is hard to imagine it would be worse than the Mavic's watercolor Jpegs.
As far as the drone, It does have some nice features, most notably, the controller which has a bright screen built in so you don't have to buy a phone or tablet and no worries about compatibility, cables or dead phone batteries. Also there is nothing to assemble so setup is easier. You have to think of the Karma as a photography system rather than just drone. You get a detachable action camera and a handheld gimbal.
If the price drops low enough, I would buy one, more for the camera and gimbal than the drone. GoPro has had excellent service and I expect that will continue unless they go belly up. At some point, you may not be able to get parts though.

Około. Dużo wyjaśniłeś, na pewno będzie przydatny dla innych. Mam dostęp do bohatera 6, nie mam dostępu do Mavic Pro i interesuje mnie tylko porównywanie obu kamer. Jak działają, co oferują, jaki kąt widzenia, długość ogniskowej itp. Wiem wszystko, widzę, oglądam, przeglądam. Funkcje dronów są w porządku, poleciałem zarówno.
As I wrote, only the comparison of both cameras. After correcting the image with GoPro, we will gain a wider range of editing options (in terms of frame width and distortion). However, I am looking for someone who has both devices (optional Mavic + Hero 5) and is able to professionally determine the quality comparison of both cameras both during the day and in the night (working with high ISO). There are many videos on the internet showing all of this, but unfortunately they are not consistent with each other in terms of the location where the recordings were made. Hence, my conclusion is that Mavic offers a tad better picture, and analogy better with high ISO than GoPro. But the price of Karma causes that many users from my surroundings come back to the idea of buying it. PLN 4,500 for Karma + Hero 6 vs. PLN 4,300 for Mavic Pro (PLN 5,300 COMBO), primarily due to access to gimbal, which makes a sensation. Technical know what each of the drone offers, and here I would focus on Mavic and even Spark without thinking.
Aparat fotograficzny. To wszystko.

Or maybe just "sit tight" and see what the specs are on the new DJI device that will be announced in 5 days (1/23)

I think it "boils down" to do you see yourself using the GoPro camera & gimbal as a "stand alone" unit, if so then the Karma wouldn't be a bad choice. With that said, you will get next to no support with the Karma because GoPro has shut down that business unit

I agree and it's the reason I initially wanted the Karma as also wanted a mechanical gimbal and an action camera with replaceable battery for use on my mountain bike, that made the Karma much cheaper than the Mavic when factoring in buying that separately. I also liked the idea that as GoPro improved their drones, I could upgrade just the drone body and keep the same stabiliser and camera rather than upgrade everything as I would with the Mavic.

That all went out the window when the Karmas were literally falling out of the sky but even putting the drone's performance aside, the Karma stabiliser doesn't seem that good a product. The main issue is that it's an awkward product to mount due to the integrated pole part of it, I saw some guides to getting it strapped securely in a chest position but it seemed a bit of unnecessary hassle. GoPro have since released an extension kit but it's a hundred pounds and still fiddly to use.

I assume this design is make it work with the Karma, rival designs are much simpler and easier to mount. Since I bought the Mavic rather than a Karma, I bought a separate mechnical gimbal from Zhiyun which is much easier to fit to a chest mount (or most other mounts) than the Karma stabiliser. Also the Karma stabiliser's battery is fixed and not user replaceable whereas the Zhiyun (and others) use standard li-ion batteries which are easy to replace which is useful in the longterm when performance drops off and short term to be able to carry extra batteries to allow longer use of the gimbal.

The GoPro6 camera doesn't have the same problems but it does have the issue that Xiaomi have been producing comparable cameras that aren't just much cheaper but also much better batterylife.

I can see the Karma looks like it's a good deal for £1000 when the Karma stabiliser and GoPro6 are £700 on their own and a Mavic is £1000. However I've seen the Yi 4k+ (the Gopro6 equivalent camera which has 4k60 support) and a gimbal for just £240 recently and the older Yi 4K can be had cheap as well and is still a great camera. Even if the Karma had a substantially better 1in based camera I'm not sure it would be worth it due to the drone's performance issues but as it's very similar and the stabiliser is fiddly to use, I don't think it's worth considering.

So I just recently returned my GoPro Karma drone and picked up a MPP. Now that I am a Mavic owner, and have been able to test both drones, I can honestly say that the Hero 6 puts the Mavic camera to shame. The image quality is simply far more stable and clearer, but I can overlook the lower quality footage of the Mavic for the better range and overall capabilities of the MPP. I am still learning the MPP, so once I learn how to dial in my settings on the MPP I may recant this statement for now like I said the Hero 6 is simply amazing.

Yes. Karma is very beneficial at this moment, especially for those who pay extra to the body itself and already have a camera and gimbal. If someone has a Hero 6 and wants to buy a drone, it really faces an important dilemma and the need to determine their needs and budget. Can I become a drone who can not do anything but fly, or be better suited to a drone with a built-in camera, sacrificing 3-in-1 for a reliable and future solution. If someone has nothing and just bought, he faces a similar dilemma, although here the choice is much more difficult in my opinion. We know a lot about what both drones offer and for today as I wrote, I bet on Mavic and Spark, if only for reasons of mobility. Gimbal is an expense from 100 to 200 $ which does not seem to be such a big expense, unless we go further and add another $ 500 to the camera.
In order for us to understand each other, I am still inviting people who are able to comment on the image quality from the Mavica and GoPro Hero 5 or 6 cameras. This is a key element from which many users will come out and think about whether to pay more for a double set, eg Mavic + separate terrestrial camera or devote mobility and sensors to Karma.
I am curious who will buy GoPro and what will be the future with this company. Remember that many customers are definitely thinking about the equipment, but also the chance to resell the drone in 1-2 years without a huge loss. I am afraid that the purchase of Karma is tantamount to a total decrease in its value, unless the new buyer of GoPro draws the topic of drones further.
It seems to me that GoPro could still fight for the position thanks to Karma 2 instead of stupid Fusion, which still remains a poor 360 degree camera. Overcapture is only an add-on for regular users who want to show up quickly on the web. GoPro still feels like a startup and probably just got lost, trying to sell their ideas instead of going to the needs of users. Once they succeeded in inventing a sports camera, but they slept the next chance.
Dji showed great strength at the time.
Based on your opinions, I conclude that, however, the picture with GoPro despite 160 degrees is much better than with Mavica. Stability of the image is a questionable issue and probably also results from the piloting skills and the idea of what we basically want to record.
When I saw what kaera Phantom offers, I'm crazy. But it is out of my financial range, considering that I would have to buy at least 1-2 extra batteries.
I invite you to the discussion: GoPro camera vs Mavic Pro camera. Same corps, drones, leave alone.

yest this test is very good, but this is a Phantom Advance :( I need Karma vs Hero 5/6 with some good comment and opinion. and one again: no drone, i need information about camera.
Did you watch the video? It includes GoPro Hero 6 and Mavic.

Reactions: gjhick
Yes. Karma is very beneficial at this moment, especially for those who pay extra to the body itself and already have a camera and gimbal. If someone has a Hero 6 and wants to buy a drone, it really faces an important dilemma and the need to determine their needs and budget. Can I become a drone who can not do anything but fly, or be better suited to a drone with a built-in camera, sacrificing 3-in-1 for a reliable and future solution. If someone has nothing and just bought, he faces a similar dilemma, although here the choice is much more difficult in my opinion. We know a lot about what both drones offer and for today as I wrote, I bet on Mavic and Spark, if only for reasons of mobility. Gimbal is an expense from 100 to 200 $ which does not seem to be such a big expense, unless we go further and add another $ 500 to the camera.

You don't need to spend $500 on a camera which was my point, the Xiaomi Yi series offers similar performance to the GoPro cameras but at a much lower cost and better batterylife. More crucially the Karma stabiliser isn't that good, it's fine if you want to hand hold it but it's a pain to mount even with the optional £100 extension kit.

In order for us to understand each other, I am still inviting people who are able to comment on the image quality from the Mavica and GoPro Hero 5 or 6 cameras. This is a key element from which many users will come out and think about whether to pay more for a double set, eg Mavic + separate terrestrial camera or devote mobility and sensors to Karma.

Image quality is certainly a key element but you simply can't separate it out on its own when other crucial elements are so different. I had the GoPro3 Black Edition which was launched too early (overall its release is remarkably similar to the Karma) and it suffered reliability issues, bugs and poor batterylife however it was capable of class leading IQ with sharp, detailed 1440p footage. Fed up with it I found other owners of the camera similarly frustrating who were recommending a Garmin model, it was only capable of 1080p footage and the quality wasn't as good as the GoPro but I bought one myself and used it extensively. Its batterylife was two to three times better, it was completely reliable and its interface was much better making the slight loss in IQ not an issue.

With a drone these other elements are much more critical, a battery running out prematurely or the device crashing is an annoyance on an action camera but on a drone it can be fatal. The Mavic doesn't just work better in terms of range, batterylife and speed but it's also a lot more portable with a range of intelligent flying modes which make it much more capable of getting certain shots. So while it may have a slight IQ detriment to the Karma, the fact it's a much better drone means it's a lot more capable as a camera device. I say that as someone who initially was keen to get the Karma but realised it's just a bad drone and the stabiliser is not much use off the drone.

If image quality is the priority over all else, then I wouldn't get either the Mavic or the Karma but instead go for the Phantom 4 Advanced, it is around 30% more than the Mavic/Karma but its camera which uses a 1in sensor is massive compared to the Mavic/Karma and capable of much better image quality. Buying a Karma to get slightly better IQ and a fairly useless stabiliser may be cheap but it doesn't make much sense to me.

I am curious who will buy GoPro and what will be the future with this company. Remember that many customers are definitely thinking about the equipment, but also the chance to resell the drone in 1-2 years without a huge loss. I am afraid that the purchase of Karma is tantamount to a total decrease in its value, unless the new buyer of GoPro draws the topic of drones further.
It seems to me that GoPro could still fight for the position thanks to Karma 2 instead of stupid Fusion, which still remains a poor 360 degree camera. Overcapture is only an add-on for regular users who want to show up quickly on the web. GoPro still feels like a startup and probably just got lost, trying to sell their ideas instead of going to the needs of users. Once they succeeded in inventing a sports camera, but they slept the next chance.

The Karma is finished, there will be no Karma 2 - the drone division is gone and it looks like the money lost on that could be the end of GoPro. While ironically a lot of superior action cameras lost out because GoPro had the better name, in this case the Karma lost out because it simply wasn't a good product. Perhaps if it had been released a year or two ahead of the Mavic it might have stood a chance but it didn't and even if the Karma had worked well, I'm not sure its modular design would work. There seemed to be little interest in that aspect in general and it meant the drone had to be significantly larger despite being more basic and having less flight time and performance than the Mavic. To make another drone now they'd be looking at starting from scratch and a long way from making something competitive.

I disagree about the Fusion being 'stupid' and I think Overcapture is a brilliant idea as makes 360 cameras far more useful. I've been amazed at the performance of a mechanical gimbal vs stabilisation systems within the camera however the electronic stabilisations on the 360 cameras using the accelerometers is incredible. It's also simpler to use as it's just a single camera to clip on and it's fully weather sealed as well, being able to change angles to look behind and to the site is an added bonus as it means I don't need to bother with another camera facing backwards.

Crucially I think it's an area that GoPro had a big advantage over cheaper rivals because it's the software that makes all the difference, GoPro clearly can't compete on the hardware front with the cheaper cameras but they can very much on software which is usually poor or non-existent.

At the moment I can't see much of a future for GoPro, their main products are just far too expensive. I personally liked the smaller Sessions, they were crucified in reviews but I liked them for their tiny size, simple use and relatively cheap. I wouldn't say they've 'slept' on anything, they're producing solid action cameras but there's just not much market for what they're offering.

You don't need to spend $500 on a camera which was my point, the Xiaomi Yi series offers similar performance to the GoPro cameras but at a much lower cost and better batterylife. More crucially the Karma stabiliser isn't that good, it's fine if you want to hand hold it but it's a pain to mount even with the optional £100 extension kit.

Image quality is certainly a key element but you simply can't separate it out on its own when other crucial elements are so different. I had the GoPro3 Black Edition which was launched too early (overall its release is remarkably similar to the Karma) and it suffered reliability issues, bugs and poor batterylife however it was capable of class leading IQ with sharp, detailed 1440p footage. Fed up with it I found other owners of the camera similarly frustrating who were recommending a Garmin model, it was only capable of 1080p footage and the quality wasn't as good as the GoPro but I bought one myself and used it extensively. Its batterylife was two to three times better, it was completely reliable and its interface was much better making the slight loss in IQ not an issue.

With a drone these other elements are much more critical, a battery running out prematurely or the device crashing is an annoyance on an action camera but on a drone it can be fatal. The Mavic doesn't just work better in terms of range, batterylife and speed but it's also a lot more portable with a range of intelligent flying modes which make it much more capable of getting certain shots. So while it may have a slight IQ detriment to the Karma, the fact it's a much better drone means it's a lot more capable as a camera device. I say that as someone who initially was keen to get the Karma but realised it's just a bad drone and the stabiliser is not much use off the drone.

If image quality is the priority over all else, then I wouldn't get either the Mavic or the Karma but instead go for the Phantom 4 Advanced, it is around 30% more than the Mavic/Karma but its camera which uses a 1in sensor is massive compared to the Mavic/Karma and capable of much better image quality. Buying a Karma to get slightly better IQ and a fairly useless stabiliser may be cheap but it doesn't make much sense to me.

The Karma is finished, there will be no Karma 2 - the drone division is gone and it looks like the money lost on that could be the end of GoPro. While ironically a lot of superior action cameras lost out because GoPro had the better name, in this case the Karma lost out because it simply wasn't a good product. Perhaps if it had been released a year or two ahead of the Mavic it might have stood a chance but it didn't and even if the Karma had worked well, I'm not sure its modular design would work. There seemed to be little interest in that aspect in general and it meant the drone had to be significantly larger despite being more basic and having less flight time and performance than the Mavic. To make another drone now they'd be looking at starting from scratch and a long way from making something competitive.

I disagree about the Fusion being 'stupid' and I think Overcapture is a brilliant idea as makes 360 cameras far more useful. I've been amazed at the performance of a mechanical gimbal vs stabilisation systems within the camera however the electronic stabilisations on the 360 cameras using the accelerometers is incredible. It's also simpler to use as it's just a single camera to clip on and it's fully weather sealed as well, being able to change angles to look behind and to the site is an added bonus as it means I don't need to bother with another camera facing backwards.

Crucially I think it's an area that GoPro had a big advantage over cheaper rivals because it's the software that makes all the difference, GoPro clearly can't compete on the hardware front with the cheaper cameras but they can very much on software which is usually poor or non-existent.

At the moment I can't see much of a future for GoPro, their main products are just far too expensive. I personally liked the smaller Sessions, they were crucified in reviews but I liked them for their tiny size, simple use and relatively cheap. I wouldn't say they've 'slept' on anything, they're producing solid action cameras but there's just not much market for what they're offering.

Hate to dig up an old post but here in Canada a GoPro Hero 6 goes for $459.99 right now (529.99 at launch). Yi 4K+ (typ. ~$400, 500 at launch). The GoPro is a better camera hands down. The stabilization is terrible on the Yi and is borderline useless without a gimbal. Battery life is nearly identical (actually the same for 4k/60fps). Its also not waterproof, dust proof without a separate case.

Is the Yi a good camera, yes of course, but the cost difference is easy to see (which isn't even much at this point).

As for the Garmin alternative at this point - Virb Ultra 30 which is actually $60 more than the hero6 right now, and was the same price, which actually has worse battery life, Garmin 75min 4k/30fps vs Hero6 95min 4k/30fps. I do like this camera though. but if I had a choice now ($60 cheaper) or then ($10 more) I would still pick the Hero6

But at no point can you look at a hero6 and say it is far too expensive despite the fact it is the nearly the same price with cameras as nearly as good as it, and slightly more than cameras that are a decent margin worse.

As far as the karma, I bought one in a bundle because it was 799.99 for the grip (hero6 was 529.99 at the time), the gimbal, backpack, hero6. Does it fly as well as my Mavic Pro, of course not. But it is a capable drone that takes excellent video. For someone that harps on the Hero6 because of it's price vs the competition, how about $800 Karma package vs $1300 for the Mavic Pro alone?

Now if you have no need for an action camera, that bundle is not nearly as valuable and you are better off looking for a second hand Mavic Pro or spending a few hundred more for a new one. But if you are in the market for one or could use an upgrade, I think the Karma is a solid option.

So far, my experience
-Battery life is decent (18-20 minutes)
-range has been decent over 2km - havent attempted to go beyond that and never had poor signal at that point despite a giant silo and trees being in the way and being out in the middle of no where
-zero signal loss so far
-no issues with automatic return even with all kinds of obstacles (not sure if it just tries to retrace its flight path or just goes to the highest point it was flown at?)

Honestly, if it was smaller and had better battery life I would consider getting rid of my Mavic Pro as it flies well enough, the video is very good and the camera can be taken off to continue filming, all for a fraction of the cost.

Are you a GoPro employee or something? How strange to dig up an old post for your only post on this forum and then try to correct me using pricing almost a year later. I use GoPros and Yi's and the onboard stabilisation is worthless (apart from the Fusion and I haven't tried the 7), I'm not sure why you think the Yi can't be used on its own while the GoPro can but it's simply not true.

As for pricing, when I wrote the post the Yi *and* gimbal could be bought for £230 while the Karma Grip and extension (which is needed to use it body mounted) was just under £400. That's not even adding the £400 cost of the camera plus the Karma grip is a poor solution for body mounting, the other compact designs like Feiyu or Zhiyun are not only much cheaper but far better to chest mount.

As for the Karma. I had to chuckle at you attacking me over that as well - I was one of the very few people who defended the Karma and thought it was the better solution for me but I will put my hands up and admit I was wrong. The Karma is just a bad drone, it has poor range, poor batterylife, it's not that compact (much larger than the Mavic) and it's nowhere near as advanced either. It's no surprise GoPro lost an absolute fortune on them and almost bankrupted the company on them. I don't regret buying the Mavic at full price and wouldn't have considered the Karma even at a much cheaper price as the grip isn't much use off the drone which was one of the mains reasons I wanted the Karma.

Can you genuinely not see the irony in your post slating the Yi camera and recommending spending more for the GoPro6 then slating the Mavic for its higher price and recommending the cheaper Karma?

Are you a GoPro employee or something? How strange to dig up an old post for your only post on this forum and then try to correct me using pricing almost a year later. I use GoPros and Yi's and the onboard stabilisation is worthless (apart from the Fusion and I haven't tried the 7), I'm not sure why you think the Yi can't be used on its own while the GoPro can but it's simply not true.

As for pricing, when I wrote the post the Yi *and* gimbal could be bought for £230 while the Karma Grip and extension (which is needed to use it body mounted) was just under £400. That's not even adding the £400 cost of the camera plus the Karma grip is a poor solution for body mounting, the other compact designs like Feiyu or Zhiyun are not only much cheaper but far better to chest mount.

As for the Karma. I had to chuckle at you attacking me over that as well - I was one of the very few people who defended the Karma and thought it was the better solution for me but I will put my hands up and admit I was wrong. The Karma is just a bad drone, it has poor range, poor batterylife, it's not that compact (much larger than the Mavic) and it's nowhere near as advanced either. It's no surprise GoPro lost an absolute fortune on them and almost bankrupted the company on them. I don't regret buying the Mavic at full price and wouldn't have considered the Karma even at a much cheaper price as the grip isn't much use off the drone which was one of the mains reasons I wanted the Karma.

Can you genuinely not see the irony in your post slating the Yi camera and recommending spending more for the GoPro6 then slating the Mavic for its higher price and recommending the cheaper Karma?

Not a GoPro employee. I owned a Mavic Pro before the Karma (still have it). I didn't notice the date of posting until after, but didnt delete it because I thought an updated response based on current pricing and by someone who owns both would be useful. I have been on these forums for several months now. The reality is they both have issues. It comes down to what you plan on doing with the drone, if you need a detachable camera, and what your budget is.

Hero6 has much better stabilization without a gimbal vs the Yi . Both aren't comparable to a gimbal, but the Yi is nearly worthless with any movement at all. At at least you can hike, bike or skateboard on smoother surfaces with the Hero6

Look at a side by side comparison, its not close

Based on pricing now, you can easily argue the hero6 is worth the small price difference.

Sorry, you are taking all the items pricing individually, I am talking about the entire Karma package, drone, backpack, karma grip, hero6, gimbal for $799 CAD. At that price, it is a solid drone and an excellent action camera. I am talking about in todays market, at the price its a good pickup, especially if you need/want an action camera. I agree with your breakdown based on pricing at the time you originally posted, I was merely posting an update based on current pricing (because the sales popping up on the Karma). At the original cost from when you posted, of course there are better options. But if someone was looking now between the 2, again it depends what you are looking for. Even if you take $400 off because you were looking at the Yi 4k+, you are then getting the backpack, gimbal, karma grip, drone for $399. For a solid drone that is a steal.

As for the drone itself, how exactly is it bad? It flies well, stays relatively stable, and I am getting 22-23 minutes with new props. I am not pushing its range limits, but have gone over 2.5 km with it. As for advanced features of the Mavic, most of the time I fly with them off. Random obstacle avoidance kicking in for no reason in the middle of a shot? No thanks! I prefer manually controlling the drone at all times.

The Mavic is the better flyer like I said, but it depends what you are using it for. Some people have no need to go over 2-3km. Heck in Canada you need to be within 500m of your drone and maintain LOS anyways.

As for the irony comparing the Yi to the GoPro Hero6. The price difference is $50 for a better camera (actually less now). The difference between the Mavic + Yi is over $1600, the karma package is $800. Even with that massive price difference, you are still left with a worse action camera and worse drone video. Like I said, if you already have an action camera or have no need for one, then yes go get a second hand Mavic or spend the extra money.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_