DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GoPro VS drone footage

dwatson636

Reactions
So I would like to know why I can ride my motorcycle and film the ride with my GoPro, add that to my YouTube channel with no issues, but the drone footage from the follow me on the same motorcycle ride is illegal to post if I am making money from the page and don't have my 107?

So I would like to know why I can ride my motorcycle and film the ride with my GoPro, add that to my YouTube channel with no issues, but the drone footage from the follow me on the same motorcycle ride is illegal to post if I am making money from the page and don't have my 107?
Once you make money using a drone you need a 107 know it's not recreational in the US using a gopro you don't need a 107

Reactions: dirkclod
I've always figured that the FAA considers making money while using the NAS requires a bit more professional finesse for added safety.

Because Congress said that, to fly a drone without a license, the flight must be for strictly recreational purposes.

You had to get a license for your motorcycle, and your motorcycle license isn't restricted to recreational purposes only.

If you get a license for your drone, it won't be restricted to recreational purposes, either.

Because Congress said that, to fly a drone without a license, the flight must be for strictly recreational purposes.

You had to get a license for your motorcycle, and your motorcycle license isn't restricted to recreational purposes only.

If you get a license for your drone, it won't be restricted to recreational purposes, either.
Yea this is exactly right.

The FAA would like nothing more than if everyone had to to get a remote pilot’s license (just like getting a motorcycle or driver’s license) but congress stepped in and gave you a way to fly a drone for fun without needing one.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Also it’s actually specifically against part 107 rules to operate a drone from a moving vehicle [edit: unless you are flying your drone over a sparsely populated area and it does not involve the transportation of property for compensation or hire.] and probably wouldn’t hold up to scrutiny for the maintaining VLOS under part 107 so you may be darned if you do darned if you don’t on that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackD
Also it’s actually specifically against part 107 rules to operate a drone from a moving vehicle and probably wouldn’t hold up to scrutiny for the maintaining VLOS under part 107 so you may be darned if you do darned if you don’t on that one.

There's no specific prohibition against operating a drone from a moving vehicle. Look under the Operating Requirements heading here:

• Do not operate your drone from a moving vehicle or aircraft unless you are flying your drone over a sparsely populated area and it does not involve the transportation of property for compensation or hire.

There's no specific prohibition against operating a drone from a moving vehicle. Look under the Operating Requirements heading here:

• Do not operate your drone from a moving vehicle or aircraft unless you are flying your drone over a sparsely populated area and it does not involve the transportation of property for compensation or hire.
True you can do it in sparsely populated areas. I thought I had mentioned that exception but apparently I didn’t. Thanks for pointing it out!

However, FAA §107.31 stipulates the person manipulating the pilot in command and the person at the control sticks or a visual observer must be able to see the aircraft at all times to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

I think you’d have a really hard time convincing the FAA you can do this while also driving a motorcycle.

And just to be clear I’m not trying to tell anybody what to do or being drone police on them. The question was asked in the rules section so the OP seems to be interested in following the rules or at least knowing what they are.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trubbaman